Army Sleep System modifications

Dinger42

FNG
Hello all, I am new here. Recently been pondering if I should upgrade to a new sleeping bag or try and modify my current setup (Army Modular Sleep system) ... Do any of you folks know of a better stuff sack available that works well with this system? "Better" meaning packs down smaller and quicker. I can get my bag with the BDU cover down to in between the size of a beach ball and a volley ball, but this takes about 5-10 minutes of packing it down and messing with the straps and sometimes having to take the whole thing out and start completely over.

CO-AJ

WKR
The Army stuff is not known for packability or weight. I would buy a WM bag and use a compression sack. Lighter, warmer, better packability, and a ton of weight savings. Pricey, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Army stuff is great for car camping or dropping off at a base camp.

OP
Dinger42

Dinger42

FNG
The Army stuff is not known for packability or weight. I would buy a WM bag and use a compression sack. Lighter, warmer, better packability, and a ton of weight savings. Pricey, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Army stuff is great for car camping or dropping off at a base cam

The Army stuff is not known for packability or weight. I would buy a WM bag and use a compression sack. Lighter, warmer, better packability, and a ton of weight savings. Pricey, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Army stuff is great for car camping or dropping off at a base camp.
Appreciate the reply and the info. I just looked up western mountaineering's bags and damn they're expensive but pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I'll follow them and wait for one to go on sale.

22lr

WKR
I have just been taking an Osprey UL dry bag and using that for my sleeping bag. Can get it super small and double bonus as great waterproof protection. Also pretty cheap and super light.

WM is not the only brand out there. Yes, they make good stuff, but you have tons of options for less money that are still great products and will save you tons of space and weight.

OP
Dinger42

Dinger42

FNG
WM is not the only brand out there. Yes, they make good stuff, but you have tons of options for less money that are still great products and will save you tons of space and weight.
Any suggestions? What are you using?

OP
Dinger42

Dinger42

FNG
Any suggestions? What are you using
I have just been taking an Osprey UL dry bag and using that for my sleeping bag. Can get it super small and double bonus as great waterproof protection. Also pretty cheap and super light.
I'll look into those. Thank you!
What size dry bag do you use for the army sleeping bag?

22lr

WKR
What size dry bag do you use for the army sleeping bag?

I use the 20L for my Kelty bag, for the army system id say you may want the larger 30L. Just easier to cram it in and start compressing.

1967marti

FNG
I got a WM bag off of the reddit geartrade forum. I got maybe 150% savings off one that was used twice. Was still out of pocket for over 500$ after shipping. So far, the bag has been 100% worth it, its stupid lite and stupid warm.. only issue is that's its a left handed zipper. I also have a few MSS bags that I use for base camp or car camping. The MSS bags/WM bags are not even comparable.

CO-AJ

WKR
Appreciate the reply and the info. I just looked up western mountaineering's bags and damn they're expensive but pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I'll follow them and wait for one to go on sale.
They don't go on sale very often, if ever. You can sometimes find a lightly used one on Rokslide. Also, Hermit's Hut has a pretty good deal on them, plus he does an extra 3 ozs of overstuff.