Army surplus’s primaloft puffy pants replacement

Cdpp880

WKR
I have a pair of the surplus level 7 primaloft puffy pants I have been using for a few years now. They are warm, and CHEEP but they are really heavy. I have no experience with any other puffy pants and am wanting to get some lighter ones. They do not need to be camo but am fine if they are. I want something that is really warm bc I normally hunt in mid October and the last few hunts have been really cold (at least to me). Really want a pair of WARM packable puffy pants. Sitka, first lite, stone glacier, black diamond..... what do you recommend?
Thanks

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you open to a down filled pant? I know those surplus pants are fairly durable and that will likely be a compromise with the lighter options.

I tried the kuiu ones (pre ultra) great warmth for the weight but they are not durable. Best suited for something that mainly sits in your pack.

Sitka kelvin (pre lite version) they are discontinued but still floating around so... more durable than the kuiu, twice the weight, 20% warmer.

Currently have some from UA called the alpine ops. They are closer in warmth to the kuiu sd pro pants in warmth, based on the fill amount and type. Definitely the warmest that I’ve tried. A little bulky to pack but not a deal breaker. I’m a bit undecided on the quality since the material is thin (pretty quiet though).

Sitka don’t separate through the waist although they have zippers about 7/8 up the legs. I found that to be quicker to put on but something that fully separates is much easier when trying to not get them trashed going over muddy boots.

Austink47

WKR
I am by no means a kuiu fan boy. That said I have been very pleased with their puffy pants. I have had them for 3 -4 seasons. I feel like they would be easy to tear up as a result I do not hike in them, but they are great for glassing, tree stands, I also sleep in them a lot that way I can pack a lighter bag. This is the only pair I have had so I don’t know how they compare with the others. There is so much good gear out there these days.

*zap*

WKR
I think the kuiu down pants (on my wish list but do not own any) and a level 5 shell pants for over them (or something similar) if your moving or there is moisture around. I use a L5 shell pant over my L7 pants for car camping and those L7's are still like new and a bit warmer with the windproof pant over them. The L7 pant's are awesome but bulky to pack, I do not think they are very heavy thou.

Look into a set of kelvin lite pants from Sitka. They replaced my level 7s a while ago. Not as warm but 1/3 the weight.

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
I’m not against down, right now Im between the first lite, stone glacier, or getting a pair made from nanatak.

I have some Arc'teryx LEAF Fusion pants that I got on sale that I'm a huge fan of. They aren't as insulated as most down pants, but they feel pretty durable, windproof, light, and pack pretty well. They also have a zippered fly and shock cords to cinch down around your ankles, which are really nice touches. I couldn't be happier with them.

I'll second the Mountain Hardwear Compressor pants, especially if you are a tall guy. The inseam on most of the insulated puffy pants seemed small to me so I went with the compressors (34" inseam). I've been happy with the purchase.