Arrow Build Cost

nphunter

WKR
I decided I wanted to build an ultra durable arrow with high FOC and one that would last. Last year is switched from deep six back to 5mm because I got sick of not having head choices in deep six.

The arrows I decided to build are below.

RIP TKO Elite $190dz
Iron Will 75gr insert $40dz
Iron Will 25gr Impact Collar $70dz
Easton X Nock $10dz
ArroWrap Reflective wraps $6dz
AAE PM2.0 Six Fletch $16dz

I feel like this is an awesome flying devastating arrow but the build ended up costing me $332 for a dozen arrows or $27.67 an arrow. Add and IW S100 and if I miss a shot and lose an arrow it’s a $60 mistake

The collars are reusable unless I lose and arrow and so are the SS HITS.

I could build an Axis Match with brass insert and BAR for $181 or $15 an arrow.

I think a person can get carried away really quick, I defiantly feel I’m shooting a great combo but am really questioning my choice, part of me feels like I should just cut my losses and switch back to Eastons system.

Last year I lost/broke 2 arrows at several 3D shoot, ribbon hooded 1 and broke two killing animals. I don’t really think it would have mattered what arrow I was shooting I would have had the same results.

Anyway curious what others thoughts are? How much do others typically spend on arrow builds? I know there are other options out there as well.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
Even though I no longer shoot them I don’t think you’ll find a better quality arrow for the price than the Axis Match grade. Good spine selection, excellent tolerances and good durability.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a killer setup. I get the whole expense concern. I whiffed high and blew up one of my arrows, $50is bucks down the toilet. but like Beendare said, shooting should be fun!

ShakeDown

WKR
In my opinion, similar to optics, there is a point of diminishing returns on arrow builds. Are the results at 40yds of a tuned 3 fletch Gold Tip Hunter XT with a standard GT series nock and insert at $8 an arrow any different than a Victory RIP Elite with G-Nock bushing, Beiter G Nock, custom cresting, 4 fletch Firenock AViis, Victory SS outserts, weight matched and spine sorted at $28 an arrow any different? Maybe. But dead is dead to me If we are talking a hunting situation. Only you can decide if any incremental increases in performance are worth the cost to you.

Out of my three rigs right now I shoot Easton Axis match shafts, Easton Hex, and Black Eagle Rampages.

I agree that the Easton 5mm Axis shafts are a fantastic combo of quality and performance. The Hex are a great low gpi 6mm shaft and the Rampage is a very affordable 5mm medium-low gpi shaft.

bcpody

FNG
I decided I wanted to build an ultra durable arrow with high FOC and one that would last. Last year is switched from deep six back to 5mm because I got sick of not having head choices in deep six.

The arrows I decided to build are below.

RIP TKO Elite $190dz
Iron Will 75gr insert $40dz
Iron Will 25gr Impact Collar $90dz
Easton X Nock $10dz
ArroWrap Reflective wraps $6dz
AAE PM2.0 Six Fletch $16dz

I feel like this is a awesome flying devastating arrow but the build ended up costing me $352 for a dozen arrows or $29.33 an arrow. Add and IW S100 and if I miss a shot and lose an arrow it’s a $62 mistake

The collars are reusable unless I loose and arrow and so are the SS HITS.

I could build an Axis Match with brass insert and BAR for $181 or $15 an arrow.

I think a person can get carried away really quick, I defiantly feel I’m shooting a great combo but am really questioning my choice, part of me feels like I should just cut my losses and switch back to Eastons system.

Last year I lost/broke 2 arrows at several 3D shoot, ribbon hooded 1 and broke two killing animals. I don’t really think it would have mattered what arrow I was shooting I would have had the same results.

Anyway curious what others thoughts are? How much do others typically spend on arrow builds? I know there are other options out there as well.
My builds are usually like this. Pay as much as you want. Doesn’t matter what others pay. Pay for what you want. I don’t need to spend that much, because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I do.

Rob5589

WKR
Hey, it's your money. I'm not building a 62 dollar arrow personally. I also think IW is ridiculously priced. To each their own, as the saying goes.
I am right around 25 per arrow with bh.

I got wrapped up in high dollar arrows and realized I was loosing too many. I have found something pretty reasonable in cost that works for me. Guess it depends on where and how you hunt, but I hunt some target rich environments. And I can't pass a shot on a groundhog or a coyote. I have been down to one arrow left in the quiver in a stand and that wasn't from missing.

If hunting only in the west with one or two tags it's different I feel like, I don't care how much money I launch at an elk as long as I feel like it's the best thing for it. But whitetail aren't hard to kill, and realized that elk aren't exactly armor plated either. Shoot what is tuned well and hit where you're aiming.

MattB

WKR
I don't spend enough to refer to what I do as an "arrow build". I buy shafts (Axis), add inserts, wraps and fletchings, and is shoot them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I could break 3 dozen high quality arrows and still be ahead of where you're at in price. But whatever floats your boat. I don't really break or lose many arrows.

dkime

WKR
Day Six shafts are like 200$ with components, your VAPs don’t hold a candle to them in terms of durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Day Six shafts are like 200$ with components, your VAPs don’t hold a candle to them in terms of durability.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not shooting VAP’s, I’m shooting RIP TKO’s and I honestly think with the Iron Will stainless inserts and stainless impact collars they will hold up better than any 4mm shaft on the market with a half out. Especially the aluminum one that comes on the day six arrows, even if a person used the stainless half outs there is no way they would be as durable. I shot 4mm arrows for the last 8 years and no half out system is as durable as a reinforced HIT.

If you have some and want to send me one I would be happy to test them both out though. You can even pick what I shoot them at.

I’m glad you like your day six arrows but I have zero concerns about durability with this setup and no interest in ever going back to a 4mm shaft.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
I think I spent close to a thousand on Valkyrie components, with Vaps, Jagger broadheads, and Firenocks.

WCB

WKR
Some things I will never understand...However, if it works for you that is all that matters.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Iron Will Impact Collars aren't $90 per dozen. They are $34.95 per six or $69.90 per dozen. I agree this is expensive compared to many arrow components, but they are machined in a hardened condition on a swiss CNC machine and boring that inside diameter to a tight tolerance is slow and expensive. You can save money by just buying six and moving them to new arrows when needed.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
The Iron Will Impact Collars aren't $90 per dozen. They are $34.95 per six or $69.90 per dozen. I agree this is expensive compared to many arrow components, but they are machined in a hardened condition on a swiss CNC machine and boring that inside diameter to a tight tolerance is slow and expensive. You can save money by just buying six and moving them to new arrows when needed.

Sorry about that Bill, I fixed the post. I agree they are great products, there is no question about that. Definitely the best collar/footer on the market right now.

marktole

WKR
I about threw a fit when I saw how much a dozen built out micro diameter arrows cost from almost any arrow manufacturer at around $210+ a dozen. I was coming from Black Eagle Rampage arrows that cost me $115 a dozen, built, and shipped. I had some complaints about the durability of the shaft though, so found a deal on a half dozen used VAP TKO arrows and unfortunately, I am now willing to pay the $200 a dozen. They're much tougher, I think, have had no issues. I do not know how I would ever justify spending $352 dollars on a dozen when $200 gives me enough trouble.

If you feel that way then why not just use the ones you have up, they will inevitably be lost or broken over time, and then buy something different? Lots and lots of options.