Arrow Build Cost

Pro953

WKR
I had no idea arrow setups had gone this far. At first it sounded insane. Then I quickly did the math on what I “spend” for a day at the range blowing through nice hand loads. I quickly tucked my tail and took it all back.

Sometimes Ignorance can be helpful for your wallet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Its easy to get caught up in this arrow building and gear purchases. I'm as guilty as anyone on that....but hey, its my number one hobby......grin

Now, I've come to the realization that all that extra work and $$$ on arrows gets me very little in return.

I try not to lose sight of what important. If it doesn't contribute to better accuracy- it really is a waste for me.

I shoot the Axis with a longer heavy insert, epoxied.....and when those arrows are milled on my straightener [320 sandpaper]...that makes for a strong connection/bullet proof arrow in 98% of situations.

IME, if you shoot it into anything but a concrete wall--they are good. Adding collars maybe gave me a 1% improvement...but also had the downside of straightness issues, difficult pulling in some targets, longer arrow, etc- just not worth the extra effort to me. The first time I pulled that outsert arrow off the string drawing on a hog- I was done with collars. [Yep, honest admission EFF up there!]

______

Last edited:
OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
I shoot the Axis with a longer heavy insert, epoxied.....and when those arrows are milled on my straightener [320 sandpaper]...that makes for a strong connection/bullet proof arrow in 98% of situations.

IME, if you shoot it into anything but a concrete wall--they are good. Adding collars maybe gave me a 1% improvement...but also had the downside of straightness issues, difficult pulling in some targets, longer arrow, etc- just not worth the extra effort to me. The first time I pulled that outsert arrow off the string drawing on a hog- I was done with collars. [Yep, honest admission EFF up there!]

______

Are you using the broadhead rings on them? I just got a notification that the Victory's I ordered are out of stock and was refunded my money. I went ahead and ordered some Axis with brass inserts and BAR's since Victory won't be building or shipping any arrows until at least next month.

I agree about the target issue, since using footers and collars I actually gave my buddy one of my bag targets because I had to use a knife to pull my arrows our of it. I never had a single issue with my injexions or VAP's running HIT's before adding collars to my arrows, I just figured stronger was better and kind of got caught up in the hype.

Beendare

WKR
Are you using the broadhead rings on them?

I don't...but its not a bad idea I suppose. collars re.jpg
I used to make these collars^....then mill them down against the sandpaper on my jig- shown.
I found that there wasn't much difference from those^ and the arrows I ran on the jig without the collars.

Heres one of the problems with most guys using carbons- the Arrow BH connection.

This is a semi close up photo of an arrow right off the saw and one that was run on the jig with 320 sandpaper. Even at this cell phone magnification you can see the difference. If you look at the RH arrow off the saw with a 60x lens, it is jagged as heck- looks like a buzzcut hairdo....but mill the end and its flat giving it much more even contact with the BH base. Plus its perfectly square.

arrow ends 800pix.jpg

I found that once I started doing this...it made a big difference on keeping that BH perfectly aligned shot after shot.
Note- this is for a BH with a perfectly square base. Most BH's you have to also run it a little on the chamfer stone putting a 45deg angle on the inside edge.......otherwise you have that BH chamfer trying to wedge the BH apart when it hits something hard.

Axis isn't the only game in town...lots of good 5mm shafts out there now.

Sled

WKR
$7-$20 an arrow depending on the need. i don't do high end builds too often. fun to play with but not needed for my hunting and long range target practice.

You all are light weights!! You should shoot Bishop Archery shafts! Check out this arrow build- WSS and S7 Broadhead will cost a mere $1,300. Per arrow!!! Only $14,620 for a dozen 😬 ! And it will take 3 month to get there unless you pay a $300 rush fee to cut your wait to 1 month 🤣🤣🤣

DDB28B7E-2FB5-4032-A757-22CD4C16CFF2.jpeg
990A27C7-420B-4FD7-BCF0-BD973BCBE917.jpeg

Last edited:
You all are light weights!! You should shoot Bishop Archery shafts! Check out this arrow build- WSS and S7 Broadhead will cost a mere $1,300. Per arrow!!! And it will take 3 month to get there unless you pay a $300 rush fee to cut your wait to 1 month

View attachment 180751
View attachment 180752

Is this legit? Serious question. I mean this is ridiculous. I’m sorry anyone who spends that kind of money is an idiot lol

Whisky

WKR
I'm at $25.40 for a field point arrow.
$55.40/ broadhead arrow. I still struggle in justifying that to myself.
I went with IW components this year, and Axis Match shafts.
Could be coincidence, could be that I got dumb lucky when I restrung and tuned my bow, but in all my years starting from scratch with new arrows and bow tune, Ive never had it come so easy to have BH impacting with FP as I have this Spring.
On top of that I feel the durability over my previous setup improved ten fold. I practice with a BH everytime I shoot, still sharp and spins true after god knows how many shots.

Of course, I've yet to zip one through an animal, and reserve the right to make final conclusions at that time. Also, I havent felt the pain from losing one, yet.

TX_Diver

WKR
This year I'm using the IW collars but am using the Easton Brass HITs to save a little bit per arrow. Also re-serving your string to fit the standard nocks would save a few more dollars/dozen (assuming you're switching the nocks due to string fit).

Is this legit? Serious question. I mean this is ridiculous. I’m sorry anyone who spends that kind of money is an idiot lol

As far as I can tell its legit o_O. There is a popular YouTuber Archery review guy that uses Bishop shafts for his broadhead testing. They do have "Entry Level" Non-custom stock Shafts that will only cost you $200-300 PER SHAFT, and Broadheads For half the price at $100 PER HEAD.

Personally I use 4mm Injexion with the IW collar. The Collar is the key! It has saved a number of shafts from breaking, and can be reused. I was going to switch back to axis this year but will stick with them due to the collar making them a lot tougher and better FOC.

Sled

WKR
i found with my Victory RIP xv's that a footer greatly increased the durability. i also had 50 or 75 gr brass inserts depending on the setup.

dzlfarmboy

Lil-Rokslider
How durable are those? Im looking for a lighter GPI 300 arrow over my AXIS to loose some weight but keep some decent FOC but worried those are on the light side. Maybe the RIP TKO at 8.8 may be a better choice.

MattB

WKR
I would just buy some axis shafts and components and put them together, scrap the "build" and you will likely end up with something just as functional in the field (although without near the internet swagger points) at half the cost or less.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
How durable are those? Im looking for a lighter GPI 300 arrow over my AXIS to loose some weight but keep some decent FOC but worried those are on the light side. Maybe the RIP TKO at 8.8 may be a better choice.
RIP TKO's are great arrows and very durable, I will probably end up selling my axis and going back to the RIP's.

Fallow120

FNG
Just go with Hunter XT from gold tip. With a FACT weight in the insert to add to your FOC. Boom. I know guys running xt’s they built 7-8 years ago.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckaz34