Arrow Build Cost

Beendare

WKR
This thread got me to thinking as to my cost per arrow:

Recurve: Beman Centershots on sale $89 doz, 50 gr inserts, feathers, German jaeger BH $10/ each. I’m at $22 each including tax/ship.
Ouch!
The good news is I reuse my arrow/BH over and over with a cleaning and BH touch up.

I would have to go Walmart shafts or equal to significantly lower the cost....but they dont sell a 31” arrow I need in that curve.....and I dont know if they have the heavy 300 spine shafts needed in my compound.

Maybe we need to have a thread on who has the cheapest “Arrow build“? Grin

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm sitting right at $19 an arrow including the BH for my GT Kinetic XT 200's with HIT's, Bohning A-nocks, three 2" QS's, and 125gr BH. But this was an expensive season for me. I used two arrows on my moose.......one broke inside him when he fell, so I also lost the BH on that one too. The first arrow mostly passed through so that one I recovered intact. Then the first arrow on my sheep disappeared into the abyss of the cliffs and canyon after passing through him. I didn't need to use another arrow, but he was still standing (as wobbly as he was) so I shot him again quartering away. The BH lodged in the offside shoulder and the fletching end was mostly sticking out. But of course he fell on that side and snapped that arrow, so I lost it and the BH that was still inside as well. So $57 lost in arrows and BH's this season. Normally I recover my arrows and BH's fully intact.

I hate breaking arrows, so I've been looking for a replacement for my Trophy Ridge Crush arrows since they are long discontinued now. After seeing a video of a guy shooting a Sirius Apollo arrow into his concrete basement wall, and the arrow coming out of that unscathed.......I decided to try some of those. I haven't had much time with them yet but I put 75gr brass HIT's in them and will use 100's with them for a total arrow weight of 519gr. These will cost me a bit more than my current arrows, but hopefully they are as durable as I'm hoping for, and hold their specs well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'm sitting right at $19 an arrow including the BH for my GT Kinetic XT 200's with HIT's, Bohning A-nocks, three 2" QS's, and 125gr BH. But this was an expensive season for me. I used two arrows on my moose.......one broke inside him when he fell, so I also lost the BH on that one too. The first arrow mostly passed through so that one I recovered intact. Then the first arrow on my sheep disappeared into the abyss of the cliffs and canyon after passing through him. I didn't need to use another arrow, but he was still standing (as wobbly as he was) so I shot him again quartering away. The BH lodged in the offside shoulder and the fletching end was mostly sticking out. But of course he fell on that side and snapped that arrow, so I lost it and the BH that was still inside as well. So $57 lost in arrows and BH's this season. Normally I recover my arrows and BH's fully intact.

I hate breaking arrows, so I've been looking for a replacement for my Trophy Ridge Crush arrows since they are long discontinued now. After seeing a video of a guy shooting a Sirius Apollo arrow into his concrete basement wall, and the arrow coming out of that unscathed.......I decided to try some of those. I haven't had much time with them yet but I put 75gr brass HIT's in them and will use 100's with them for a total arrow weight of 519gr. These will cost me a bit more than my current arrows, but hopefully they are as durable as I'm hoping for, and hold their specs well.

Im sorry man. I really enjoy the stuff you post but on this particular post all I can hear is boo boo hoo. I lost 57$ worth of arrows on my successful MOOSE AND successful SHEEP this year. You probably spent more in food 1 day traveling. :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Im sorry man. I really enjoy the stuff you post but on this particular post all I can hear is boo boo hoo. I lost 57$ worth of arrows on my successful MOOSE AND successful SHEEP this year. You probably spent more in food 1 day traveling. :)
No, not at all. I'm actually trying to work through these arrows as quickly as I can because I don't care for them all that much. So losing one and breaking two is no big deal. (y)

Beendare

WKR
FYI,
Currently Jeffs Specialty Archery [used to be FS discount] has a good sale going on right now ....with an additional $21 off if the order is over $100....pretty easy to do.

Felix40

WKR
This year my compound arrows cost $13.50 a piece with broadheads. Before finding a deal on my muzzy trocars I had about $16.50 in each arrow.

Ive shot them through a bunch of animals, including a couple elk shoulder blades, and they all ended up dead.

For the recurve I’ve been using the same setup for a long time. They are about $20 an arrow. Same basic story there.

$10 per shaft, $4 per insert/collar, 20-35 depending on broadhead plus possible lighted nock. $34 on the low end (hunting arrow). $69 on the high end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
5 miles:

my keyboard critique (Grin) of your setup would be that you need to shoot through those animals....then they wouldnt be breaking them on you.

Or at least get one with a stiff enough spine so when that moose rolls over it props him up instead of snapping that shaft...sheesh.

( FYI, 5 miles and I talk all the time)

And shooting those flimsy mech heads....you cant reuse those anyway, one and done so those are destroyed after a shot......get yourself a decent BH why don’t you?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Or at least get one with a stiff enough spine so when that moose rolls over it props him up instead of snapping that shaft...sheesh.
Here's a funny story......the first arrow on the moose (QAD Exodus) I assumed blew through him and into the willows and water behind him. But when we flipped him over to break down his other side, we found that he was laying on that arrow. So it must of been hanging up on the exit side before falling out when he went down.

Then the 2nd arrow was with a GR Fatal Steel mechanical that hit close to his right shoulder on a broadside shot and buried up to the fletching. When I was skinning him down from the backbone (his left side) there was "lump" sticking up under his hide back between the last rib and his left ham. It was up high just below his backbone. As I skinned it down, up pops this arrow shaft. It was the insert end of the mechanical arrow with the BH ferrule broken off flush with the end of the arrow shaft. So that BH must have been stuck in bone and broke off when he fell and then somehow moved that arrow all the way through his insides to behind the rib cage. That part of the arrow was fully intact. I pulled it out by the insert end and the fletching end came out with it, but was broken just in front of the fletching and barely hanging onto the rest of the arrow. That's pretty wild IMO.

jmez

WKR
Simple and relatively cheap for me. Shoot FMJ's, I buy uncut shafts on ebay, have never paid over $120 per dozen. Use the included HIT's. Blazer vanes and VPA broadheads.

Have about $20 per arrow with the broadhead. I've never thought I needed more arrow or more components. Been shooting these with various "production" broadheads since the FMJ was introduced.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Simple and relatively cheap for me. Shoot FMJ's, I buy uncut shafts on ebay, have never paid over $120 per dozen. Use the included HIT's. Blazer vanes and VPA broadheads.

Have about $20 per arrow with the broadhead. I've never thought I needed more arrow or more components. Been shooting these with various "production" broadheads since the FMJ was introduced.
Jmez, how’re the fmjs holding up for ya? I played with em a little and really like that arrow, thinking of using them over axis w/brass just to simplify my build. Heard some guys have issues bending them, but in my limited tests they held up and didn’t seem to lack durability vs the axis (both 200 and 260 spine)

jmez

WKR
They hold up fine for me. If I hit something hard that they weren't intended to hit they will break or bend. I haven't had any issues bending them in targets. My kids pull them all the time when we are shooting and haven't bent any. I've shot several through deer and a few through elk that just need wiped off and back in the quiver.

I have a spinner and check them and bending hasn't been an issue. They have been very durable for me.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
They hold up fine for me. If I hit something hard that they weren't intended to hit they will break or bend. I haven't had any issues bending them in targets. My kids pull them all the time when we are shooting and haven't bent any. I've shot several through deer and a few through elk that just need wiped off and back in the quiver.

I have a spinner and check them and bending hasn't been an issue. They have been very durable for me.
Appreciate the feedback. That echos what I was seeing-axis didn’t survive anything that the fmjs didn’t. Don’t really give a foc about FOC, and they fly really well outta my setup

Do you see them stop and spin backwards then settle on your arrow spinner? That's what I experienced. Very slight bends, but broadheads magnified it when shooting.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
It didn't even take BH's for me. Even with FP's the groups opened up at distance. And it was the last 6-8" on the tip end on every one of them that would wobble.
It didn't even take BH's for me. Even with FP's the groups opened up at distance. And it was the last 6-8" on the tip end on every one of them that would wobble.
How long did it take for your fmjs to start wobbling? I’m interested in trying (a few of) these shafts, will monitor them for bends, just curious how long it took yours to start failing?

Beendare

WKR
Now I see why guys are unwilling to take practice shots in the woods to be dialed in.....kind of takes the fun out of stump shooting losing a couple arrows and its $120.