Arrow build for elk?

I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times but as I'm stuck at home obsessing over the little things I'm wanting to do an arrow build. I'm pretty novice ip but have an elk hunt coming up this fall and my local shop set me up with and Easton axis 340 spline with a total arrow way around 425 with 100 gr point.

I shoot at 65 lb, looking to get to 70 by the time I'm hunting in the fall. 29in draw but could cut the arrows back to 28- 27" due to rest placement. I want to shoot an Iron Will and ultimately get an good FOC build. There are plenty of options for heavier inserts and impact collars.

Hoping I could get some guidance on what weight of broadhead I can shoot and if my spine is okay if I cut it back to 27-28" also should I be upping the front weight with impact collars and heavier inserts??

thanks!

big44a4

WKR
Build for total arrow weight and FOC will naturally be decent/plenty. That said if you want higher FOC you want to go with a lighter GPI shaft than an axis build.

I only shoot 100gr heads as I’m not looking for special field points or broadheads. Had a friend shooting deep six who forgot his broadheads at home. Went to 4 or 5 outdoor stores in a city of 300k people and NONE had any deep six he could buy. Deep six is more common than 150+gr heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re going to work up to 70 lbs., you should build an arrow as though your shooting 70 lbs. now. To that point, you may need a stiffer arrow higher poundage and/or higher front weight.

I agree with the idea of shooting 100 grain heads because they can be found everywhere in every configuration. This gives you more flexibility to try different heads without changing your arrow setup as much. (Manufacturers supposedly build better flying 125s though.)

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would switch to a 300 spined arrow being that you are right on the edge of a 340. A stiffer spined arrow is always a better choice especially when considering you might be using larger broadheads. IME weaker spined arrows and heavier/larger broadheads can be a tuning nightmare.

Also, I would use a 50 grain brass insert that will give you plenty of FOC if that’s what you’re looking for, and I wouldn’t cut my arrows back to as short as your wanting either. Just my $0.02.

WYCFM1

WKR
Idk how your shooting 340s out of a revoltx @29” draw. Must be shooting an aluminum insert. Going to 70 pounds and also wanting a good weight arrow for elk is gonna cause you to need to shoot a 300 spine arrow unless you cut the 340s 2-3” shorter roughly which would put your overall arrow weight down 28 grains give or take. IMHO the smart thing to do is just set yourself up with a 300 spine cut to a length where the broadhead is just in front of your fingers at full draw and then add like a 50gn insert and some ironwill arrow collars with a 100g broadhead. That will give you roughly 520g arrow. I would shoot for an arrow build of 460- 500gn and just start shooting that arrow a ton and getting good at judging yardage and different angles. Sometimes you can’t always get your rangefinder out in time. If your a hardcore hunter in all sorts of conditions be very cautious with the FOC % . You get super heavy up front and your gonna cry when you shoot it in the wind. That thing will fly damn near 45° sideways up here in Wyoming in 15 mph wind. I’ve got all the arrow building equipment and have shot many different arrow brands and diameters with different weights up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is there a calculator out there that I could be using online?
Pinwheel software is free for two weeks, honestly you are probably better of downloading and playing with it yourself, but I can run numbers later today for you.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

WYCFM1

WKR
I shoot a realmX with victory tko 350 27.5” draw with 75g insert 100 grain broadhead 4 fletch AAE Hunter right offset right about 485gn. Shooting a sevr 1.5 mechanical this past year I buried my arrow in the dirt after shooting through a spike elk. Which was a tad bigger than I big bodied mule deer.

The Gold Tip calculator is free to use. A Black Eagle Rampage cut to 27.5”, focos 100 grain outsert and 100 grain point will put you around 485 grains. It also comes in around 15% foc. Fletching options changes these numbers a little but it’s a rough idea. Or you can do a brass insert and Ethics footer to get that weight.

Beendare

WKR
I would switch to a 300 spined arrow being that you are right on the edge of a 340. A stiffer spined arrow is always a better choice especially when considering you might be using larger broadheads. IME weaker spined arrows and heavier/larger broadheads can be a tuning nightmare.

Also, I would use a 50 grain brass insert that will give you plenty of FOC if that’s what you’re looking for, and I wouldn’t cut my arrows back to as short as your wanting either. Just my $0.02.

This^ is right on the money.

I've been bowhunting elk for over 3 decades and have migrated to this setup in my compound. Arrow is right at 500gr....I get great all around arrow performance.

____

OP
Biggern'yurs
Idk how your shooting 340s out of a revoltx @29” draw. Must be shooting an aluminum insert. Going to 70 pounds and also wanting a good weight arrow for elk is gonna cause you to need to shoot a 300 spine arrow unless you cut the 340s 2-3” shorter roughly which would put your overall arrow weight down 28 grains give or take. IMHO the smart thing to do is just set yourself up with a 300 spine cut to a length where the broadhead is just in front of your fingers at full draw and then add like a 50gn insert and some ironwill arrow collars with a 100g broadhead. That will give you roughly 520g arrow. I would shoot for an arrow build of 460- 500gn and just start shooting that arrow a ton and getting good at judging yardage and different angles. Sometimes you can’t always get your rangefinder out in time. If your a hardcore hunter in all sorts of conditions be very cautious with the FOC % . You get super heavy up front and your gonna cry when you shoot it in the wind. That thing will fly damn near 45° sideways up here in Wyoming in 15 mph wind. I’ve got all the arrow building equipment and have shot many different arrow brands and diameters with different weights up front.

I originally thought I should be at 300 but the guy at the shop told me to be at 340. Bought ten new heroes. I think I can from the arrows down a tad bit but then the broadhead will be just past the rest.

chadallan

FNG
I shoot a 32" draw, 70lb
I use pse x weave 400's full length, montec g5's with 2" blazers. Ive killed moose, bears, cougers, deer, racoons ect
with it. I dont change anything once its shooting well. I avoid making changes bat all costs because i dont like the hassel. too many other things to do

60x

WKR
forget the foc thing, drop to a 300 spine add a collar and a good cut on contact. build to a weight that has a trajectory you are warm and fuzzy about. don't put emphasis on thing that have little impact on your build

WYCFM1

WKR
forget the foc thing, drop to a 300 spine add a collar and a good cut on contact. build to a weight that has a trajectory you are warm and fuzzy about. don't put emphasis on thing that have little impact on your build

OP, ^^^^ In a nutshell this is what I’m getting at. A decent arrow weight you are thinking flys really well out of your bow. In order to get decent weight you will probably need the heavier inserts anyways so your FOC is there, but no reason to calculate it all out and get stuck in a rabbit hole because your FOC isn’t 22.677779%

OP
Biggern'yurs
I hear ya. Unfortunately I kinda like a little rabbit hole every now and again. After researching this is that I'm thinking: Easton Axis Match 300, cut from 29" down to 28", 125 Iron Will Broadhead, 25grn insert, 25 grn collar. Thats pushing over 270fps with around a 500grn total arrow weight. Around a 14.5% FOC

25 gr inserts are pricey, you can do the same thing with 50 gr brass inserts and 100 gr heads and save about $30.

OP
Biggern'yurs
25 gr inserts are pricey, you can do the same thing with 50 gr brass inserts and 100 gr heads and save about $30.

Instead of getting the iron Will inserts and collars? Then just stepped down to a hundred grn head