Arrow build for elk?

Use the iron will or ethics collars with easton brass inserts to save a bit of money over running a full iron will set up, you can still hit the same total and point weights.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hear ya. Unfortunately I kinda like a little rabbit hole every now and again. After researching this is that I'm thinking: Easton Axis Match 300, cut from 29" down to 28", 125 Iron Will Broadhead, 25grn insert, 25 grn collar. Thats pushing over 270fps with around a 500grn total arrow weight. Around a 14.5% FOC

I took eight animals with that setup last year and think it's really hard to beat.

So I have a elk hunt planned for Sept 2020 and I am trying to get a good grasp on the correct arrow. I shoot a Beman 400 Whiteout 8.1 GPI with a 27.5 arrow and 65 pound draw. I plan to shoot a 100 grain Kudu fixed blade head. Is this set up to light? IN looking on line at the different charts it looks ok, but others are saying no. Any help is appreciated.

nphunter

WKR
So I have a elk hunt planned for Sept 2020 and I am trying to get a good grasp on the correct arrow. I shoot a Beman 400 Whiteout 8.1 GPI with a 27.5 arrow and 65 pound draw. I plan to shoot a 100 grain Kudu fixed blade head. Is this set up to light? IN looking on line at the different charts it looks ok, but others are saying no. Any help is appreciated.

It will kill an elk if you hit it behind the shoulder no doubt. The KUDU would be a wise choice on that light of an arrow for sure. You are at 370gr which is light, honestly it will work but don’t do anything stupid like try to take a hard quartered too or frontal shot. Wait for a broadside shot and aim slightly behind the crease to give a little room avoiding the shoulder.
I’ve killed several elk with a similar arrow but coming out of a heavier draw bow. I’ve also killed them with a 60lb bow and a 330gr arrow with t lock so it can be done for sure. Confidence kills and if your shooting that arrow well and are confident with it use it. You will have plenty of costs associated with coming out for the hunt without buying new arrows and retuning.
A heavier arrow would be a better setup for elk but not necessary.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider

It would help to know what bow you have. But if it were me, I'd go with a 340ish spine. At 27.5" you go up to the next one (so 28"). I looked at GTs and Victory's charts real quick and both recommend 340. Using some assumptions on your current vanes, nock, my math shows your current arrow weighs around 350 TAW. IMO, too light for elk.
my .02

I think you're correct. Got lucky two years ago, but I’m going to go with the 340 set up...Thanks for the sound advise!

It will kill an elk if you hit it behind the shoulder no doubt. The KUDU would be a wise choice on that light of an arrow for sure. You are at 370gr which is light, honestly it will work but don’t do anything stupid like try to take a hard quartered too or frontal shot. Wait for a broadside shot and aim slightly behind the crease to give a little room avoiding the shoulder.
I’ve killed several elk with a similar arrow but coming out of a heavier draw bow. I’ve also killed them with a 60lb bow and a 330gr arrow with t lock so it can be done for sure. Confidence kills and if your shooting that arrow well and are confident with it use it. You will have plenty of costs associated with coming out for the hunt without buying new arrows and retuning.
A heavier arrow would be a better setup for elk but not necessary.
I’m following your advise. Shot a nice bull two years ago, but I’m worried about a marginal shot. I’ll be switching to the 340s. Thanks for the advise!

Hoot

WKR
I hear ya. Unfortunately I kinda like a little rabbit hole every now and again. After researching this is that I'm thinking: Easton Axis Match 300, cut from 29" down to 28", 125 Iron Will Broadhead, 25grn insert, 25 grn collar. Thats pushing over 270fps with around a 500grn total arrow weight. Around a 14.5% FOC
This is what I shoot to a tee...

406unltd

WKR
Shoot some of the arrows in your local shop and pick one of the arrows in the 265-285 fps range then weight that arrow and build one to that general weight and have good point weight. Put on a good head up front and tune it. Make room in your freezer🤙🏻Good luck

Chilax_1

FNG
I put together a set up for this fall of 300 spine axis arrows cut to 29 inches with 100 grain broadheads. I added the 25 grain iron will inserts and the 25 grain iron will collars to beef up the front end.. Pulling 70 lbs on a 28 inch draw. They are grouping extremely well.