Arrow build question with Iron Will

Rosco

FNG
Hi all- I figure there are enough more qualified experts here to lend me a hand. I shoot an old Mathews Z7 Extreme and it serves me well so I haven’t felt the need to upgrade yet. It’s set at 65lbs with a 27” draw and my current arrows are cut at 28.25”. I’m hunting elk using Iron Will S100’s and I’m thinking of Easton Axis 300’s and 50 or 75 grain inserts with 25 gr collars, but I’m looking for any recommendations or feedback to this for arrow length, spine, and weight to use for inserts?

wayoh22

WKR
You'll be over-spined. According to the chart you should be using 340's with that setup. If it tunes however, then go for it I suppose

Fullfan

WKR
Just tried the IW collars. Could not get my arrows to spin perfect with them installed. Would do so with out though. Just FYI

OP
R

Rosco

FNG
Thanks guys, I’m also thinking of trying slightly longer arrows, maybe1/2” as the current ones are cut pretty tight to the bow and my knuckles

wesfromky

WKR
I am close to your specs - 27" @ 65 lbs and use 300 spine BE rampages w/125 IW wide, 50gn iw insert, and the 25 gr iw collars. It shoots well for me, and I have been super happy with how they have worked on deer.

Last edited:

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all- I figure there are enough more qualified experts here to lend me a hand. I shoot an old Mathews Z7 Extreme and it serves me well so I haven’t felt the need to upgrade yet. It’s set at 65lbs with a 27” draw and my current arrows are cut at 28.25”. I’m hunting elk using Iron Will S100’s and I’m thinking of Easton Axis 300’s and 50 or 75 grain inserts with 25 gr collars, but I’m looking for any recommendations or feedback to this for arrow length, spine, and weight to use for inserts?
Why not try some day six arrows...designed for a very similar broad head...

Marble

WKR
27" draw and 28.25 arrow? Seems like the arrow is pretty long for the DL. 340 spine, cut at 27" and then see how that goes. I'd check the total wright and see if its in the ballpark of what you want. Then shoot it. You can always cut a bit off if needed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
And instead of buying collars, you can try the BAR for the axis. I would get all the components together m, calculate weight and then make some decisions.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ncavi8tor

WKR
You're slightly over-spined, but it will tune beautifully being stiff! I just built some very similar Axis 300 Match Grade arrows with 75 grain inserts and 100 grain points for my 66lb 28" DL RX-4. TAW = 510 grains. They tuned like lasers and every broadhead I have tried has been money! You could also shoot the. 340 spine at a shorter arrow length, but I prefer more mass. I like shooting Made in the USA arrows like Easton AXIS and HEXX.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Rosco, as others have said you would be slightly over spined, but I generally prefer that. You can shoot different weight field points around that range and see what your trajectory is like and how they group for you.

Fullfan, the Impact Collars shouldn't be able to cause a problem with arrow spin. With the arrows squared, the lip of the collar just seats against the front of the arrow and the bore of the arrow to the shank of the head should determines how the head will spin. Send me a DM and I can talk you through some things to try.

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
I have this exact arrow setup mostly except I’m shooting 300 match grade cut at 27 1/4”, 50 gr insert, 25gr IW collar, with a S100. I’m also shooting 76lbs(27” draw) out of the vxr and was night and day difference to the setup below as far as tuning and performance. I was shooting 340s with the setup almost the same except 75 gr insert with no collar and it was a pain in the ass to tune and was a headache and eventually went to the 300 match grade. You may be able to get away with the 340s with 65lb draw. I’d buy a few shafts for each spine and play around and see what happens before you commit.

Dennis

WKR
I was wanting to shoot Iron Will broadheads with the HIT insert with the impact collar last summer, but was told by Iron Will the system would not fit my shaft size. FYI

I shoot Victory VAP .166 Gamer 350 shafts

Zac

WKR
I was wanting to shoot Iron Will broadheads with the HIT insert with the impact collar last summer, but was told by Iron Will the system would not fit my shaft size. FYI

I shoot Victory VAP .166 Gamer 350 shafts
You still can use IW components. You'll just have to use a .166 HIT with a Deep 6 broadhead and the appropriate sized collar.