Arrow Build Question

wayoh22

WKR
Just picked up a Carbon Defiant 34. Thanks to all of you who gave their opinions on it in a previous post some moons ago.

Specs:
Draw Length: 29in
Arrow Length: 29.75in
Poundage: 80lbs

Problem I'm trying to solve is the speed issue. Have not run through a crono yet so this is all theoretical. I was think of running FMJ's but they only go to a 300 spine whereas the charts say for 80lbs I'm slated for a 260 spine. So that would mean I'm stuck shooting the Easton Axis which isn't a problem if that's the route I have to go. Curious to see if I could get away with a FMJ 300. Possibly cut the shaft down a bit since my arrow sticks out quite a bit past the rest? Thoughts?

Thanks.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
you should be able to cut your arrow shorter than your draw length. i am a 32" draw and with HIT's i can easily do 31" arrows carbon to carbon with a 1 inch footer that doesn't touch my rest. With half outs i could get away with a lot shorter arrow.

Beendare

WKR
Just know this;

Most of the problems with BH tuning....ie getting your BH’s to fly right are due to arrows being underspined or right on the cusp. Underspined makes your form super critical...not what you want in the woods on rough ground.

Over spined arrows work and tune great in a bow.

——-

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
you should be able to cut your arrow shorter than your draw length. i am a 32" draw and with HIT's i can easily do 31" arrows carbon to carbon with a 1 inch footer that doesn't touch my rest. With half outs i could get away with a lot shorter arrow.
I honestly never realized how far out my arrow is till I drew back and actually looked at it. Buddy just pointed it out to me. I probably could shave off a good inch and half

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
I honestly never realized how far out my arrow is till I drew back and actually looked at it. Buddy just pointed it out to me. I probably could shave off a good inch and half
yes, you should be able to very easily. no i do agree 100% with the people above. an overspined arrow is better for Fixed Heads tuning.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
If you are even close to the dividing line between arrow spines on the chart, ALWAYS choose the stiffer arrow. It will cause you much less grief. Beendare and xFredx are spot on with their advice.

Marble

WKR
I had the same bow and DL and cut my Axis 28" carbon to carbon. It was a 65# bow and it shot 340 spine great with field tips and BH. But like mentioned above, for BHs, spine is critical. A 250 spine at 28" would probably put you a little over 510 grains with a 125 tip.

I bought 70# limbs for it, but never used them...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
I had the same bow and DL and cut my Axis 28" carbon to carbon. It was a 65# bow and it shot 340 spine great with field tips and BH. But like mentioned above, for BHs, spine is critical. A 250 spine at 28" would probably put you a little over 510 grains with a 125 tip.

I bought 70# limbs for it, but never used them...

Still have those limbs?

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
Yes I do. They are a 114 deflection. I bought them from a guy who replaced his limbs with 80 # limbs.

I will have to call hoyt and see if those are the correct ones but might need them if you're willing to sell? What color?

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
Why can't you get the 250 FMJ's if that's what you want?

I mean I don't like them, but they make them.
I honestly didn't know they made a 250 in the FMJ. I was just going off of nock on's chart on his website since I have gift card to spend there.

That's my bad and I should have done more research. Thanks for pointing that out.

Marble

WKR
I will have to call hoyt and see if those are the correct ones but might need them if you're willing to sell? What color?
I'll grab the box and take a look. The 114 will make 70 pounds on the 2.1 cam, 27 to 30" DL.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 29.5 inch draw and shoot 27 inch arrows.. 75 pound bow . Axis 300 with 75 grain brass and 125 grain head.. no tuning problems .

Cutting your arrows down will help