Arrow build sanity check

Chipz

FNG
Looking to get into the heavy arrow game as I am looking to take an elk next year. Shooting a DS2800 at 60lbs and 25.5" draw.

Am looking at Gold Tip XT 340s at 26.5", was going to go with Ethic trimmable static inserts at 150gr. Gonna go with either the Day Six Evos or Iron Wills (either 150 or 125gr).

Anyone see any issues with this? Weight wise this puts me anywhere from 535-560gr. I'd like to go heavier but with that short of arrow I dont think the FOC will be as high as it needs to be.

Last edited:

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
On the ethics inserts. Use the longest insert you can. I like the aluminum post with the stainless collar.. The longer the post the stronger it makes the front of the arrow.. I tried cutting the stainless insert but by cutting them to get the weight I wanted they ended up short and I had a couple arrows break right behind the insert . Shoot a few different weights using heavier field points before you settle on a weight.. That way you can see what you like without spending a bunch of money... I'm shooting around 530 grains now an have shot everything from 400 to 700 . I just keep coming back to 500 to 530 because of flight and the way the bow shoots for me..

MattB

WKR
As much as I generally refuse to respond to arrow threads with "build" in the title, I think that with your short DL and low poundage you will end up spending a lot of money to learn that you hate the resulting trajectory/pin gap.

I'd personally aim for a finished arrow weihht about 100 grs lower than your goal and focus on a really efficient BH (2 blade COC or 2 blade w bleeder). Perfect tune as well.

Let FOC be what it is. Guys were killing animal with archery gear just fine well before that was even a concept.

Zac

WKR
I'd use the Centric system before I would touch Ethics. Way too much sanding typically.

nphunter

WKR
Not sure exactly what your after, you mentioned FOC and are wanting front weight so a great arrow would be a victory 24" RIP TKO 400 spine with a 100gr IW insert and 25gr collar, pair that with a 150gr head and you will be at 24% FOC and 513-520gr depending on flechings. If you wanted to go heavier you could do a 200gr head and 350 spine arrows at 24" and be around 560gr and 27% FOC. If you decide you wanted a better trajectory you could switch to 100gr heads and remove the collars and shoot the arrows at around 450gr and still have good FOC and a great arrow.

This would be a great super durable high FOC arrow build.

With that short of a draw you should be able to pick up used arrows pretty easily and cut them to your length and save a ton of money.

With all that said I agree with Matt, with your draw and weight I would be looking for an arrow closer to 400-450gr. You will be shooting rainbows with 500gr+ arrows out of that bow, I would try to find a buddy or someone who has them and try it out.

Vandal 44

WKR
You are going to get so many different opinions on what the over all arrow weight should be it can get really confusing. The draw length and the poundage that you are shooting makes it a little more challenging as well.

I shoot very low poundage but my draw length is longer, I am shooting a Mathews Traverse 50 pounds maxed out and the draw length is 29.5" so with that the actual draw length closer to 30" Mathews runs a little longer on the draw.

My arrow set up is a Victory RIP 350, 3 AAE Max Stealth Vane, Easton Nock, standard Easton HIT Insert and a Valkyrie Blood Eagle 175 grain or the 150 grain, total arrow weight 451. My arrow speed is a blistering 248 FPS

I got a passthrough on a cow elk at 35 yards last year with this set up

One suggestion would be to purchase 3 400 spine arrows and 3 350 spine arrows and do some testing with point weight via inserts and or field tip weight. I think with your draw length and the poundage you are pulling that a 400 spine arrow cut to 25" to 26" and then mess with insert and field point weight. I would try and get my overall arrow weight between 425 to 450 grains

I also believe the two broad-heads you mentioned are a good choice for your set up

I got myself into a ton of trouble with those long inserts. I found that the insert length itself affected dynamic spine while bareshafting (it caused the arrow to act much stiffer due to less flex in the length of shaft).

I'd focus on getting into your ball park total arrow weight with perfect arrow flight. Whatever FOC ends up is what it is. Chasing a specific FOC number and maintain perfect arrow flight will make you go insane. Using a carbon shaft and point weight to hit your ballpark total arrow weight will result in good FOC regardless.

406unltd

WKR
Well as long as you know that it’s gonna be a very very slow compound setup. It’s gonna work as long as you use a coc head and make good shots. With all that said I’d tone down the weight a little bit and try to get that bow spitting arrows closer to 240-250fps instead of 200-215. Try some different arrow weights out. Best of luck

Brizzle

FNG
I agree with MattB and 406unltd. Your goal weight will kill your bows performance and fly poorly, I’d just stick with a standard weight hunting arrow, if your at or a little over 400g your bow will still fling arrows well, much over that and you’ll be shooting at recurve speeds. There’s no replacement for shot placement.

Looking to get into the heavy arrow game as I am looking to take an elk next year. Shooting a DS2800 at 60lbs and 25.5" draw.

Am looking at Gold Tip XT 340s at 26.5", was going to go with Ethic trimmable static inserts at 150gr. Gonna go with either the Day Six Evos or Iron Wills (either 150 or 125gr).

Anyone see any issues with this? Weight wise this puts me anywhere from 535-560gr. I'd like to go heavier but with that short of arrow I dont think the FOC will be as high as it needs to be.
I have a 26.5" draw at 74lbs and with a 475gr arrow Im only getting 263 fps. Speed in not the most important thing, but if you're wanting to shoot a 550gr ish arrow at your draw length and low poundage, you might as well just throw rocks at the elk. Your pin gaps will be ginormous and you'll hate the trajectory of your arrow.