Arrow Build - Spine Check

Anyone have software and willing to help a hunta' out?

Bow: Bowtech Revolt X
Draw#: 58
Draw Length: 29.25"
IBO Speed: 340 fps
85% Let-off

How do these two profiles look regarding spine:

Easton Axis 5mm:
#1: 340 spine, 28.75" (nock point to cut), 100 gr head
#2: 340 spine, 27.75", 100 gr head

Updated: roughly 25 grains on back end (wrap and fletchings)

Thanks in advance!

OR Archer

WKR
I’d do 28.5 on the cut. I’d personally opt for a 50gr brass over the 16 grain standard for a little extra TAW.

OP
540-Virginian
I’d do 28.5 on the cut. I’d personally opt for a 50gr brass over the 16 grain standard for a little extra TAW.
Curious why the extra weight? I'm hunting eastern whitetail and looking for the best trajectory possible (while still being able to penetrate) is 50 gr insert necessary? Thanks!

OR Archer

WKR
The extra 35 grains will not affect your trajectory. The added weight though will help with better penetration and help keep your bow quiet.

Jbxl20

WKR
Following.....
I’ve been using 340 axis for over 10 years on eastern whitetail here in PA and in Ohio. Heading to CO this year and I recently switched to heavier 300 spine axis with brass inserts. I lost a nice buck a few years ago @ 40 yards and farther forward hit than I would have liked. I’m wondering if a heavier arrow then would have had better penetration. My 340s were cut at 26 3/4” and weighed 402gr. My 300s are cut at 28” and weigh 490gr

OP
540-Virginian
Following.....
I’ve been using 340 axis for over 10 years on eastern whitetail here in PA and in Ohio. Heading to CO this year and I recently switched to heavier 300 spine axis with brass inserts. I lost a nice buck a few years ago @ 40 yards and farther forward hit than I would have liked. I’m wondering if a heavier arrow then would have had better penetration. My 340s were cut at 26 3/4” and weighed 402gr. My 300s are cut at 28” and weigh 490gr
What broad head type (mech, fixed Cut on contact, etc.) and what poundage? How rigorous were you with tuning and form? Not beating you up, I'm curious and good to know variables (don't want same to happen to me).

My experience watching/reading all this stuff had me noticing penetration issues weren't always the arrow not weighing enough, but more so it not being tuned and flying crooked into the animal.

OP
540-Virginian
Following.....

Also, what part of PA? You hunt those deep heavy mountains ever? Seems like crazy good challenge but heard there is big deer in them.

Jbxl20

WKR
No worries. It was definitely my fault and not the light arrow. Killed plenty of deer with the same setup. I Didn’t practice as much then and my form was much worse than it is now. Bow probably wasn’t tuned well. I’m shooting a Bowtech invasion CPX rated at 343 Ibo. ~69lbs 29” draw. Was using either a spitfire or Rage 3 blade mechanical at the time. I’m moving away from rage for whitetail. I shot two bucks last year and only 2 blades opened each time. Luckily I heard them drop and neither of them went farther than 50 yards. Ever since I committed to going to CO I’ve been practicing 5 days a week, paper tuning bullet holes. New rest, new sight, new release. Shooting some indoor and 3d. Heading to TAC in Seven Springs next month. Built 2 dozen arrows all within ~1grain of each other. Hoping the heavier arrows and all the gear dialed in will help compensate any of my user errors.

I’m in central PA west of Harrisburg. I hunt a few public big woods and there are nice buck. I mainly grew up hunting smaller patches of woods and tree lines on the farms I worked at.

three5x5s

WKR
The extra 35 grains will not affect your trajectory. The added weight though will help with better penetration and help keep your bow quiet.
Just asking how much weight can you add before it does affects your trajectory?? Is there a theory, like 10% added weight equals 10% drop in trajectory??

Last edited: