Arrow build - wind drift

Lowg08

WKR
The q2I I use are basically blazers; I think they are the raptor or predators.

I wonder if increased rotation means less wind drift.
If this makes since it can cut the wind. Like a spoiler. To much spoiler it catches the wind. Just right makes it aerodynamic

Noklok

FNG
Only way to know how and what affects the arrow drift is to test it. I live in a very windy area. Usually in the 15-20mph range. I have shot in a direct cross wind with no trees or houses to deflect the cross breeze. Total scientific test here. Was testing vanes and a three blazer cane compared to a 4 vane Q2i set up. The blazers constantly hit 4-6” off the Q2i due 93% to wind drift.

Conclusion. Vane set up plays a role in wind drift
Which Q2i? That’s a brand. They make lots of vanes. The q2i raptx is a blazer copy that glues on better. Are you referring to this one?

When I shoot TAC events or Redding style outdoor shoot, I use skinnies. I tried Skinnies one year at an indoor 3D event with targets out to 70+ yards. I took 1st in the Sr non pro class. The following year I went with 23's in the Sr Pro class and made the final group but got smashed hard by guys shooting skinnies. Not a lot of $$$ on the line but my point is: skinny or large, learn to shoot under pressure. Fix you and your process, then look for benefits in other areas. They are there for sure. But fix you first.

Now if I had a bow to shoot comps, I would be using my 23's for outdoor ASA type events once again and skinnies for field comps.

JNDEER

WKR
Which Q2i? That’s a brand. They make lots of vanes. The q2i raptx is a blazer copy that glues on better. Are you referring to this one?
The eBay seller calls them 2.1 Fusion X-II.

Think they were talked about here a few times and many liked then in 4 fletch with long DL. Gave them a shot and like them as well and they produced the quietest arrow for me.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed my promax vanes seem to drift less than my max stealths, which from a cross wind area perspective follows the "Science"........ and regarding builds......Assembling arrows is about like arts and crafts for adult men. Calling it a build makes me chuckle. To each their own. In the words of MattB, ima go build me a sandwich.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you build Ikea furniture? I don't. But I have "put together" some stuff from scratch. But I can't say I built it apparently, because I didn't cut the wood on the saw mill myself. But I did plane it, size it, and put it all together from my design. :)

But it's much like the people who move out here and hire a contractor for new construction, then tell everyone they are building a new house. They ain't doing shit but spending money, but everyone likes to title stuff.
Is the contractor "building" the new house.........or just having his guys put together all the parts? :unsure:

Is the contractor "building" the new house.........or just having his guys put together all the parts? :unsure:

The contractor is just a check pusher, most don't do chit but pay laborers.

That's why they are just called GC's anymore.

He has an excavator come in and dig it.
Has a Mason or concrete crew lay the foundation.
Has a framing crew frame it.
Has an electrician wire it.
Has a plumber plumb it.
Has a roofer roof it.
Has a window and door contractor install windows and doors.
Has a siding crew side it, or gets the Mason back to brick it or put lick'n stick stone on it.
Has a flooring contractor put floors in.
Has a cabinet crew set cabinets, sometimes those are custom built by some real craftsmen, but that's pretty rare anymore, and they go by cabinet makers, not builders.

Then gets a landscape crew to finish the outside.

The GC is really just a ringmaster of a circus.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Where are you shooting that the majority of guys are spending over $500 a dozen for 3d shafts?

I see a handful of outdoor shooters use those shafts, that's about it. Broadwater used them a little a year or 2 ago, he has been back to super drives 23's for 3d.

Redding is a different game, a lot of those guys use skinnies, but it's really just a field shoot.

All the guys who are professional shooters. I shouldn't say all of them as im sure i didnt see everyones quivers. Maybe they switch between shoots.

If there is any chance if wind I would imagine they would want a skinny.

And your right about $500 a dozen. That's crazy expensive. Add in the tungsten tips and I'm not sure what a full set costs.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
When I shoot TAC events or Redding style outdoor shoot, I use skinnies. I tried Skinnies one year at an indoor 3D event with targets out to 70+ yards. I took 1st in the Sr non pro class. The following year I went with 23's in the Sr Pro class and made the final group but got smashed hard by guys shooting skinnies. Not a lot of $$$ on the line but my point is: skinny or large, learn to shoot under pressure. Fix you and your process, then look for benefits in other areas. They are there for sure. But fix you first.

Now if I had a bow to shoot comps, I would be using my 23's for outdoor ASA type events once again and skinnies for field comps.
That's a good observation.

I've been doing indoor for the last 3 years and I had been shooting a 27 aluminum arrow with a total weight of around d 650. I knew I had handicap myself with such a heavy arrow. And I would always finish 2nd averaging 295, 15ish X's. I'm going to shoot a lighter arrow this year and see how that goes. I have finished #2 three years running. I would love to get to the 300 round. But I probably need coaching and to be dedicated to doing better.

And shooting under pressure is a learned skill.

A good friend of mine who was a world champion has talked to me about the pressure that builds during a shoot. Not sure I'll ever get there to experience it, but it's mind over matter for sure.

Marble

WKR
I'm going to go build some arrows so I can run them on the next shoot.

All the guys who are professional shooters. I shouldn't say all of them as im sure i didnt see everyones quivers. Maybe they switch between shoots.

If there is any chance if wind I would imagine they would want a skinny.

And your right about $500 a dozen. That's crazy expensive. Add in the tungsten tips and I'm not sure what a full set costs.

I'm saying all the professional shooters at IBO, ASA are almost all shooting 23 sized shafts.

Now Redding, that's a different kind of shoot, I can definitely see using skinnies. Not really a 3d shoot tho, that's a field shoot they use 3d targets on.

That's a good observation.

I've been doing indoor for the last 3 years and I had been shooting a 27 aluminum arrow with a total weight of around d 650. I knew I had handicap myself with such a heavy arrow. And I would always finish 2nd averaging 295, 15ish X's. I'm going to shoot a lighter arrow this year and see how that goes. I have finished #2 three years running. I would love to get to the 300 round. But I probably need coaching and to be dedicated to doing better.

And shooting under pressure is a learned skill.

A good friend of mine who was a world champion has talked to me about the pressure that builds during a shoot. Not sure I'll ever get there to experience it, but it's mind over matter for sure.

Go shoot The Vegas Shoot, down in Pro arena and you can experience that pressure every first shot. :)

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Built vs bought I hear that a lot in the Jeep world lol.

One arrow was a 3 fletch blazer 450 gr and the other is a 4 fletch AAE stealth vane @593gr.

So we're talking about a 2'' 3 vane vs a 2.6'' four vane arrow that is 100gr heavier...

the discussion was awesome

And those stealth vanes are 9.2 gr.. wow

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Only way to know how and what affects the arrow drift is to test it. I live in a very windy area. Usually in the 15-20mph range. I have shot in a direct cross wind with no trees or houses to deflect the cross breeze. Total scientific test here. Was testing vanes and a three blazer cane compared to a 4 vane Q2i set up. The blazers constantly hit 4-6” off the Q2i due 93% to wind drift.

Conclusion. Vane set up plays a role in wind drift
Exactly..