Arrow build - wind drift

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I apologize. I only get a few days a week to look at my threads I work like a dog

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I mean "build" was in the title of the thread, so at least the OP knew what he was talking about....LOL

Thank goodness Breathn didn't assemble my strings and cables, so glad he "built" them.
And I guess the dictionary got the definition wrong, so ya'll had better call them and submit your resumés.
:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I'm building some easton axis 4mm long range now, 300 spine, alum in/(tiny) :) outsert.

Should be in the 470 gr range with a 150 head/19 FOC, 4 fletch 2 deg

Last edited:
The rotation can matter but too much can make it worse. The helical or offset when too much creates a parachute effect. Slowing the arrow allowing more cross wind effect. I use AAE hybrid at 2 degree right helical. I found a Levi Morgan article on fastest arrow set up so we put some together and tested it out. So far it’s right on point.
What jig are you using to get a 2 degree helical? Thanks

Lowg08

WKR
What jig are you using to get a 2 degree helical? Thanks
I don’t really know. An older bow tech has it as a personal jig. He says they don’t make it anymore. He builds all of my family’s arrows. I’ll ask him Friday when I go over to the shop

I don’t really know. An older bow tech has it as a personal jig. He says they don’t make it anymore. He builds all of my family’s arrows. I’ll ask him Friday when I go over to the shop
Awesome. Thank you. I’m in the market for a fletching jig and want a bitzenburger but they’re pricey so trying to weigh my other options

Lowg08

WKR
Awesome. Thank you. I’m in the market for a fletching jig and want a bitzenburger but they’re pricey so trying to weigh my other options
No problem. I know 3 degree is pretty standard. I’m not sure how he does it. It’s a little more noticeable on a 3” feather but the 2.23 AAE hybrid is hard to see. It’s just enough to make me happy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 9
No problem. I know 3 degree is pretty standard. I’m not sure how he does it. It’s a little more noticeable on a 3” feather but the 2.23 AAE hybrid is hard to see. It’s just enough to make me happy
Looks like he did a good job fletching those. I like the az ez fletch but it has an insane amount of helical, I think I read it’s about a 6 degree helical which is a little much for me. I don’t want to deal with that parachute effect or whatever at long distances. I don’t plan on taking long distance shots while hunting but it’s fun taking 70+ yard shots just at targets. I’m in the process of buying all the stuff to build my own arrows so I’m doing a bunch of research on fletching jigs now.

JjamesIII

WKR
Not many people talk of drift in their arrow builds but my 450gr arrows drift about 8'' in a good sidewind compared to my 590gr which we have out here in the mountain west.

Seems like more are worried about drop than wind drift and I really can't find anything really discussing that.

It was extreme this year above 8k feet and I did a lot of outdoor practice but didn't hunt this year due to being a new resident in CO. I want to kind of have a good reference for wind drift when I do..

if I'm talking silly let me know lol
Vanes/arrow diameter as others have stated. Consider broadhead choice- low profile expandibles are going to be the best. Take off your bow mounted quiver- that matters a lot while holding steady in the wind. I know this isn’t what your question was, but it correlates to accuracy in the wind.

Lowg08

WKR
I shoot a Easton sonic 6.0, AAE hybrid in a 4 fletch. 2* right, right bevel kudu 125gr. I added 50 grains so my final arrow weight is 458 I think. I don’t have the parachute effect and it don’t lose any speed. I feel comfortable shooting anything in North America. Minus maybe a moose or grizzly with that set up. My bow tech is Also the bow tech for several pro archers. Best I’ve ever met. It builds the best arrows. All spine matched, indexed whole nine. Been using him for 4 years never have anything loose or fall off or any faults. Never even had a flyer.

I shoot an Easton sonic 6.0, AAE hybrid in a 4 fletch. 2* right, right bevel kudu 125gr. I added 50 grains so my final arrow weight is 458 I think. I don’t have the parachute effect and it don’t lose any speed. I feel comfortable shooting anything in North America. Minus maybe a moose or grizzly with that set up. My bow tech is Also the bow tech for several pro archers. Best I’ve ever met. It builds the best arrows. All spine matched, indexed whole nine. Been using him for 4 years never have anything loose or fall off or any faults. Never even had a flyer.
Wow that’s awesome. All the “bow techs” around where I live are mostly kids fresh out of high school or in college and they kinda think they know everything. The few decent ones I know of own their own shops and they are the ones who hire the kids to run the front counter and all that. It’s annoying but it’s forcing me to learn all this shit on my own which is good.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I shoot a Easton sonic 6.0, AAE hybrid in a 4 fletch. 2* right, right bevel kudu 125gr. I added 50 grains so my final arrow weight is 458 I think. I don’t have the parachute effect and it don’t lose any speed. I feel comfortable shooting anything in North America. Minus maybe a moose or grizzly with that set up. My bow tech is Also the bow tech for several pro archers. Best I’ve ever met. It builds the best arrows. All spine matched, indexed whole nine. Been using him for 4 years never have anything loose or fall off or any faults. Never even had a flyer.

The last few posts are interesting because I settled with some Easton long range @505gr (150gr head) 4 fletch aae hybrids and a 2 deg right helical. Black Ovis built them for me and did a fine job. I’ve been extremely happy with how they fly and speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Not many people talk of drift in their arrow builds but my 450gr arrows drift about 8'' in a good sidewind compared to my 590gr which we have out here in the mountain west.

Seems like more are worried about drop than wind drift and I really can't find anything really discussing that.

It was extreme this year above 8k feet and I did a lot of outdoor practice but didn't hunt this year due to being a new resident in CO. I want to kind of have a good reference for wind drift when I do..

if I'm talking silly let me know lol
Its all about BH tuning ….then you don’t need as much fletching.

Arrow weight, FOC….all insignificant compared to the above.

I’ve hunted Kodiak..and other days in the mountains where you just have to hang that bow up…no way you are shooting anything in a 50mph wind storm

nphunter

WKR
These do much better in the wind than the same arrow with 3 max stealth’s. 6 PM2.0’s with a slight helical. They stabilize a fixed head to but I’ve switch to mechanical and also have 21% FOC so I’m not sure how they do on a more traditional setup.

D0DDA9A4-E085-4003-B0BC-C3583B4B4C8A.jpeg

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
Its all about BH tuning ….then you don’t need as much fletching.

Arrow weight, FOC….all insignificant compared to the above.

I’ve hunted Kodiak..and other days in the mountains where you just have to hang that bow up…no way you are shooting anything in a 50mph wind storm
My hunting arrows and bow are broadhead tuned. I’ll be honest. I prefer BH over shooting paper and such. Just me though.

Beendare

WKR
Admittedly, I got wrapped up in the minutia of this arrow build stuff years ago.....

Then, I had a bit of an epiphany.......and I started learning how much lean to give my bow in the different wind speeds to compensate. All fixed.

[Our range at Briones is good for that...always a dang strong cross wind....]

I do think its important to get those components straight on arrow assembly...I've seen a difference when shooting BH's if they aren't perfectly straight.