Arrow build

So, I'm trying to do a new elk arrow build. Shooting black eagle x impacts 300 spine at 30 inches and 70 lb draw. Realistically how much weight should I be looking at up front? I'm at 35 grains on the back end with vanes and nock. Trying to decide between a 135 or 200 grain iron will s series with or without impact collar. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I would think that if your shooting a 28.5 - 29.5" shaft length you will bee right at the verge of being underspined with 150+ up front.

I went through this last year and ended up with a 250spine arrow, standard insert with 200gn Iron Will SB or 200grn Cutthroat. I'm shooting Darton 3800 30" draw at 68lbs. Black Eagle Carnivore .001 in 250 spine (29" shaft) Standard inserts, 4 Heat vanes (2.5 degree right) with standard knock. This combo is 530gn and shoots well right at 280fps. It may be a tad stiff but I'm good with that. This is what I'll be elk hunting with this year.

Marble

WKR
So, I'm trying to do a new elk arrow build. Shooting black eagle x impacts 300 spine at 30 inches and 70 lb draw. Realistically how much weight should I be looking at up front? I'm at 35 grains on the back end with vanes and nock. Trying to decide between a 135 or 200 grain iron will s series with or without impact collar. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
If I was building an Easton Axis with your specs, I would cut it at 29", put a standard insert in and a 125 grain point. You would be really close to 500 grains TAW, maybe 490. Don't worry about FOC.

Put a 4 fletch on it and shoot the crap out of it. Shoot those arrows until the ends are all shiney.

That arrow at your specs has more ass behind it than needed. And you can kill anything with it and shoot any head you want.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

What insert/outsert/half-out are you planning to use? Iron Will collars won't work with Black Eagle's FOCOS system (or any other outsert/half-out); they're designed to fit directly over the carbon shaft and thus only work with a hidden insert (HIT). If I were shooting a .166"/4mm arrow, a HIT (with collar) is the only option I would consider. The downside is that a .166"/4mm HIT forces you to use Deep Six (6-40) threaded broadheads, which severely limits your choices. Iron Will does offer Deep Six threads, so if that's your head of choice it's not really a problem.

450-550 gr total weight is a good range for an elk arrow IMO. My recommendation would be to choose whatever combination of head/HIT/collar weight is necessary to get you in that range.

Last edited: