Arrow building - Best 5 pin slider?

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently ironing out all the details of my hunting setup getting ready for this season, and really just posting here to bounce some thoughts around and get feedback, knowing there are some people here with tons of great experience. I've done well enough with archery tackle in the past, but went back to basics over this offseason and I've basically been just blank bale shooting all summer, but I'm now ready to shift focus into arrow building and tuning. I've changed a bit in my setup, and will be shooting at lower speeds after building my new arrows, so I'm thinking my current 5 pin fixed sight might not be the best fit anymore (though dropping more cash isn't too exciting. The sights I think I'd be interested in are not cheap at all). I've been running a 5 pin fixed (trophy ridge volt) with my first pin at 30, then 10 yard increments to 70, and thats worked well enough up to now. But I took half an inch off my draw length, dropped down 5 pounds in pull, and added 50 grains to my arrow weight. I'm not sure I can get by with my first pin at 30 now, but still want to be able to have a pin out to 70. I think I prefer having an ability to lock-in my setup pre-season then use it through all my hunts this season. I'll be in Utah on a general deer tag for the archery opener, in Colorado for Elk in September, then whitetail hunting close to home and in the Nebraska Sandhills for pronghorn and muley's the rest of the season. (I've found the Sandhills to usually present very difficult shooting conditions - longer ranges, quick shot moments, and lots of wind.)

My setup (pending arrow build) will be:
Hoyt Spyder 34
30.5" draw
63 lb
Axis Match Grade 300 spine - (Will probably end up around 30"?)
AAE vanes (haven't decided between the hunter or stealth. any advice?)
50 grain HIT insert
100 grain Trophy Taker BH
I crunched all this in the pinwheel program when I had a trial, and it came out to be around a 500 grain arrow, high 260's for fps, and just under 12% FOC, which I think is the sort of balance I'm after.

I guess that all leads me to these main questions:
1. Sight - In the moment of truth, I want to focus on execution, not fiddling. I have a single pin trophy ridge react slider in addition to my 5 pin fixed, but I don't love it too much for this reason. And with an elk tag, I think its a no-go. But if my technique and tuning is giving me accuracy and precision at 60+ (it was last year, and should only be improved now), I want my sight to also be capable at those ranges. I think a 3 or 5 pin slider is probably the best fit. What are you all running? Any sights I should be considering above others? Do I really need to drop ~$350 to get what I'm looking for? I suppose I could continue with my same 5 pin setup as last year where my first pin is at 30, then I just get really comfortable with how low I need to aim at 20 and in. This was easier/not important when my arrows were moving faster.
2. Any feedback on my setup as I head into arrow building.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
My compound and arrow setup is pretty similar to yours, 29" draw, 66# from an Obsession Knightmare. Axis 300 cut to 27 with brass and 100 grain heads. TAW is 495 and shoots at 268fps. I am using a 5 pin axcel with the top pin at 30 and it is no problem at all. Arrow is about 1.5" high at 20.