Arrow Building, By Jimmy Tippetts

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmy Tippetts is a perfectionist when it comes to archery so when he builds his own arrows, you can bet they are top notch. One good thing about Jimmy is that he likes to help other people out. It took very little arm twisting to get him to write this step by step guide that shows his process start to finish. I hope you find it helpful. I know I did!

Arrow Building, A Step By Step Guide

Grumman

WKR
Great write up I would like to do build my own someday. What arrow saw is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Great article! Thanks for sharing. That setup you have for a workspace is freaking awesome.

Mmcan

WKR
A problem I have is having the outsert pull off the arrow when removing them from a target.
What glue/compound do you recommend??

Slim Jim

WKR
A problem I have is having the outsert pull off the arrow when removing them from a target.
What glue/compound do you recommend??

I recommend using the AAE Max Impact insert adhesive. Anytime I have ever used clear adhesives in the past, they never seem to hold. If you still have problems you can use epoxy but they’ll be there for good.

What's your opinion on using hot melt to secure inserts in carbon arrows? Many (maybe all) carbon arrow manufacturers warn against hot melt due to the potential for damaging the shaft with excessive heat. My experience has been that hot melt can be safely used with carbon arrows and has the advantage of being easily removed if you want to change inserts or add/remove internal weights. Out of curiosity, I've experimented with some scrap arrows and it seems that as long as the flame isn't applied directly to the carbon, there's little risk of damaging the shaft.

Slim Jim

WKR
What's your opinion on using hot melt to secure inserts in carbon arrows? Many (maybe all) carbon arrow manufacturers warn against hot melt due to the potential for damaging the shaft with excessive heat. My experience has been that hot melt can be safely used with carbon arrows and has the advantage of being easily removed if you want to change inserts or add/remove internal weights. Out of curiosity, I've experimented with some scrap arrows and it seems that as long as the flame isn't applied directly to the carbon, there's little risk of damaging the shaft.

You can use hot melt but use a hot melt adhesive with a low melting point.

jrc645

FNG
I noticed you dried them standing up. Is that recommended? What happens if you just lay them on the table?

Slim Jim

WKR
I noticed you dried them standing up. Is that recommended? What happens if you just lay them on the table?

I built my archery cabinet to store them that way. I do put them in my cabinet like that right away but as long as you lay them unobstructed hanging off of the edge of a countertop you are good.

rp59az

FNG
Nice Article. Did I understand correctly that you used the acetone solution to remove the manufacturers logo? Did it come off easily? thx.

Slim Jim

WKR
Nice Article. Did I understand correctly that you used the acetone solution to remove the manufacturers logo? Did it come off easily? thx.

Thanks!
Yes acetone. I soak a paper towel and just rub it back and forth until it comes off. The first 15-20 seconds it’ll feel like it’s not coming off but then it starts coming off pretty quick

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
Great article!! Need to check my Bitz to see how far apart I have it offset. I've just gone the max I can get good adhesion, but have never seen 1/16" correlates to 2 deg, etc. I've also been trying the helical clamp rather than straight. Wish I could nail down what seems to give me the best flight. I've also set the base at the third mark rather than the fourth.

Slim Jim

WKR
Great article!! Need to check my Bitz to see how far apart I have it offset. I've just gone the max I can get good adhesion, but have never seen 1/16" correlates to 2 deg, etc. I've also been trying the helical clamp rather than straight. Wish I could nail down what seems to give me the best flight. I've also set the base at the third mark rather than the fourth.

The reason I set mine on the fourth line is because I don’t want any chance of the vanes touching my face.

gansettx

FNG
The reason I set mine on the fourth line is because I don’t want any chance of the vanes touching my face.

If you search facebook for bitz angle setter, you can get your vane offsets perfect in seconds. Super nice product to speed up the process.

jarcher38

FNG
Great write up, very informative for those looking to dabble into building their own arrows. It’s very rewarding just like reloading for the gun guys