Arrow Building, By Jimmy Tippetts

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Love the write up and I plan on playing with 4 fletching in the off season. Do you do any spine indexing prior to building? I haven’t yet, but may try with the next batch I build. Basically cutting to length and installing insert and nocks. Then, with a tuner bow, shoot each one through paper. Any shafts that don’t give the perfect bullet hole get pulled aside. Then rotate the nock 90 degrees and shoot again to see if you can get the bullet hole. If any can’t achieve it, they get culled from the batch. Is this worth the effort for hunting applications or is this overkill?

Slim Jim

WKR
Love the write up and I plan on playing with 4 fletching in the off season. Do you do any spine indexing prior to building? I haven’t yet, but may try with the next batch I build. Basically cutting to length and installing insert and nocks. Then, with a tuner bow, shoot each one through paper. Any shafts that don’t give the perfect bullet hole get pulled aside. Then rotate the nock 90 degrees and shoot again to see if you can get the bullet hole. If any can’t achieve it, they get culled from the batch. Is this worth the effort for hunting applications or is this overkill?

Thank you! I don’t spine index. I think it’s overkill in my opinion. I know people that like to float their shafts in water and some other techniques but not me. If I have an arrow that has wobble it’ll be a range arrow and if it has too much wobble it’ll be a long range 3d arrow lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeDirt

WKR
The only thing I would like to add to this is Acetone is a really harsh chemical and if in use you should use gloves. I prefer denatured alcohol.

Rabbit57

FNG
Yes! Now that I’ve been building my own arrows for hunting, indoor & outdoor NFAA and WAF for the past 12 years, their is no way I would have any confidence in other arrows but my own. To go through the steps in building, measuring and weighing and tune testing for each type of archery, I find it very rewarding and a confidence builder at full draw.