Arrow Building

I got everything to build my own arrow in order to experiment. My main question is arrow length. I purchased Iron Will 125g heads and my current arrows sit just barely past the shelf. I know this is how most people shot them but I do notice from time to time my fingers stick out when I'm trying not to torque the bow under pressure. So I'm a little worries about losing some meat on my own hand (I know paranoid)

Current Bow setup
PSE Evoke 35 28.5" DL 63#

Current arrow Gold tip Airstrike 340 spine OAL with IW 29 3/8" 435g 263fps 66.8ft lbs

I Got some 300 spine arrow and to get head past my finger a little I would have to make this arrow
GT airstrike 300 spine OAL 311/4" with IW 479g

My main question is besides losing a little speed because of arrow weight, does this sound like it will work? How should I test in order to see if I'm to stiff or to weak. I was thinking make up 3 arrow of new setup and test against old arrows. Is that just to long for my draw length? Would you use hot melt instead a AAE insert glue so I can change later? Apprecite the help in advance, newb here.

Honestly I would fix your grip. If your putting your fingers in a position that they can potentially get hit by the broad head then they could possibly get hit by the fletching also which can throw the arrow off. I think I’d focus more on that. Personally I wouldn’t hold any grip that puts my fingers in a position to potentially make any contact with the arrow, or create the “paranoia” (as you referred to it) of it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PlumbHunter
Honestly I would fix your grip. If your putting your fingers in a position that they can potentially get hit by the broad head then they could possibly get hit by the fletching also which can throw the arrow off. I think I’d focus more on that. Personally I wouldn’t hold any grip that puts my fingers in a position to potentially make any contact with the arrow, or create the “paranoia” (as you referred to it) of it happening.

99% of the time I have fingertips on riser. I've just caught myself sticking fingers straight out a couple time, idk why?? I've never had any contact with hand. Just used to expendables that don't look so close to my meat sticks. Would I lose performance adding that inch or so? Current arrows are shooting bullet holes and grouping well, just haven't built other arrows because I don't want to F them up.

I had 28.5” draw and built arrows to 28”. The wind without tip was right at front of riser. Was perfect for me. I think you will be fine. Not sure how long you have been shooting but should develop a routine that is second nature and you don’t have to worry about it. You know your fingers are out of the way.

Zac

WKR
Ironwill are famous for slashing fingers. The guy that runs Stickbow Chronicles has cut himself multiple times this way.

I run a little long on my shafts. I tune my own rigs as well. In hunting there's so many what ifs. In the perfect world we will always get 20 yard clear lane broadside shots. 25 years of bowhunting has taught me that hardly ever happens. Decisions on passing animals come with a cost, for your shots you must decide. I've found myself twisted up, shooting in narrow lanes, with thick gloves and winter clothes on. Sometimes our hands slight move to where we don't want them. We might only notice it when its the moment of truth. For that reason, I have a slightly longer shaft to avoid any chance of an accident. Also, its always easier to take more off the shaft, you can't add it back.