Arrow coming off...

mtholton

FNG
Need some help.... Drew back (vxr 31.5) and my arrow came undone at the nock at full draw. Cost me a doe. Figured it was a fluke. Practiced all week no issues. Back in stand today, same thing cost me a doe. Headed in over lunch changed arrow and all seemed fine. Drew back tonight on a doe and the dang thing came off again.... is my d loop pinching? Does it have anything to do with the angle I’m drawing back at in the stand which might have been different then when practicing? Thanks for the assistance!

Drenalin

WKR
This has happened to me twice. In both cases the string was getting old (a lot of shots, not a lot time) and needed to be replaced. You can try reserving it, but I’d replace it. Shooting on level ground I didn’t have an issue, but from a stand the combination of a well used string and gravity was a problem.

OP
M

mtholton

FNG
Thanks for the reply. The string is new this year and it good shape, so I don’t think that is contributing, but could be wrong!

Check how tight your nock fit is? If you take an arrow with no field Tip or insert in it and draw back and aim down does it stay on your rest or does it lift up?

I had nock issues alllll year until I switched to Beiter hunter nocks. My guess would be your nocks are a tad too loose on the serving. My problem was the reverse but nonetheless I'd recommend Beiter nocks. I learned that tip from others on this forum, thankfully. I went with the 12/2 hunter nocks, but depends on the serving size and nock needed for your arrow diameter of course.

Reactions: Zac
OP
M

mtholton

FNG
Thanks all, broadhead not hitting. I’m inclined to think the d loop is pinching just enough to pop it off and angles in a tree stand perhaps make it just enough to pop it off.....

Thanks all, broadhead not hitting. I’m inclined to think the d loop is pinching just enough to pop it off and angles in a tree stand perhaps make it just enough to pop it off.....

Do you use “soft nock sets”? When done properly, they help prevent nock pinch. Also, what’s your draw length? Long draw + short axle-to-axle = potential nock pinch. Mathews cams are so big that I doubt the string angle is a problem.

Regarding nock fit, I’ve seen people test it by nocking an arrow with your bow horizontal, the arrow should stay on the string if the nock isn’t too loose, draw the string about 1” and let it go (just more than plucking the string). The arrow should come off meaning it’s not too tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoot

WKR
Not much to add, probably nock pinch. Nock sets and a new d loop should be fine, but if you want to test, draw level, then tilt to get the angle from your tree. Then draw at the same angle as your tree and find out.

fwiw, I always draw level, anchor, and then tilt at the waist on downhill shots, that might help?

Marble

WKR
So you practiced all week, no issues, same arrow, just with field points? You shoot with a broadhead too?

So the problem only occurs when shooting a broadhead?

And it only happens when you're drawing on an animal?

When drawing on the animal is your bow pointed down, like from a tree stand? But when you practice you're shooting level?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
M

mtholton

FNG
Do you use “soft nock sets”? When done properly, they help prevent nock pinch. Also, what’s your draw length? Long draw + short axle-to-axle = potential nock pinch. Mathews cams are so big that I doubt the string angle is a problem.

Regarding nock fit, I’ve seen people test it by nocking an arrow with your bow horizontal, the arrow should stay on the string if the nock isn’t too loose, draw the string about 1” and let it go (just more than plucking the string). The arrow should come off meaning it’s not too tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t have soft knock sets. Will have my d loop redone with those added. Thanks for the help.

OP
M

mtholton

FNG
So you practiced all week, no issues, same arrow, just with field points? You shoot with a broadhead too?

So the problem only occurs when shooting a broadhead?

And it only happens when you're drawing on an animal?

When drawing on the animal is your bow pointed down, like from a tree stand? But when you practice you're shooting level?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Yes just field tips... i pulled back with a broadhead over lunch yesterday and no issue, but I suspect I did it level and when in the stand maybe didn’t do it that way based on the setup in the stand. Wondering if a angle would cause more pinch...

Erict

WKR
Most agree on nock pinch and opening your d-loop slightly or using soft nock points may help. As Hoot above suggested, bend at the hip (not shoulder) as this is more than likely why it's happening when shooting down and not when shooting level. Good luck.

Zac

WKR
What nock and arrow are you using. I don't ever use Easton G nocks due to similar issues. If you are running a 5mm just get the Beiter Hunter's as mentioned above. If using a micro I would run the Firenock.

wapitibob

WKR
Get a proper sized nock for the serving, and a proper d loop setup for the string angle of that bow and nocks don't come off the string. Stick an arrow on the string, yard it back and look at the nock. You'll see exactly what's going on. If you have a short a2a bow and a tight loop, the loop knots will push the nock right off the string. If the arrow comes of when pointing down hill, it's already off the string.
On that short bow (31") I'd put a cpl small soft nocks with about .020 gap and tie your loop on the outside. That'll give you about 1/2" of string that's vertical where the arrow nocks and there won't be any forward pressure on the top/btm of the nock. You can also do a single soft nock either above or below the arrow nock, depending on the pressure you want directed to the arrow, either downward or upward. If you want a loop only setup on that short bow you'll likely need to use a nock with relief grooves for the loop knots, like a beiter.

Last edited:
have nock points tied in then have d loop on outside of nock points, wont happen ever again, d loop is pinching nock off of string