Arrow Experts - Easton Axis Spine

mtholton

FNG
Just upgraded to a VXR 31.5 set at 60lbs (65lbs module). The speed increase over my prior bow is going to require new arrows. I had GT Pro Hunters. Always appreciated their durability, but looking for a smaller diameter bow with a similar GPI. Also, looking to up the overall weight a bit over my prior setup. Initial setup focused on deer, now looking to balance between deer and elk. Seems to me one of the more common/popular options are the Easton Axis. I considered the FMJ but don't want to worry about durability/wobble/nicking them (I understand not everyone has those potential issues, just don't want to worry about it and carbon has been fine for me...). I didn't want to deal with the outserts on the GT Kaos. I'm open to other suggestions, but my goal would be reliable proven performance arrow.

I'm trying to determine a spine that will allow me to increase the poundage up to 65lbs if desired (I wouldn't go higher than that, I'm not a big guy but ensure I'm set at 60 lbs as well. So the range would be remain between 60 and 65 lbs. I'd like to be able to have a 50 grain insert upfront to increase foc.

28 inch arrow
125 grain broadhead (QAD Exodus)
Looking at the 50 grain insert

Debating between 340 or 300.

Based on the Gold Tip Calculator, assuming I'm doing it right the, I'd be in the below ballpark for weight and foc.
Your approx. arrow weight is: 476.4 grains.
Your arrow FOC is: 14.1%

Looking for your advice on what direction to go (heck if I'm missing the mark on the arrow all together, let me have it).

With your bow setup at 65lbs, 28inch arrow, 125 grain head and 50 grain insert my thought is that you might be slightly under spined with a 340. I have a similar setup and found the 300 spine worked better for me when tuning broad heads. I was able to get some heads to tune with the 340 spine but I could shoot whatever I wanted with the 300 spine arrow. As noted above you could could use the full 75 grain insert, slightly longer arrow and that bow at 65 lbs a 300 spine would be the ticket. Alternatively you could stay with the 340 spine and just adjust your draw weight up to see where that arrow starts to go out to tune. With a 340 grain Axis, 125 g head and 50 grain insert you'd still have a setup that weighs 480ish grains which at your draw weight may be a good happy medium for both arrow weight and speed. Just my $0.02.

OP
M

mtholton

FNG
With your bow setup at 65lbs, 28inch arrow, 125 grain head and 50 grain insert my thought is that you might be slightly under spined with a 340. I have a similar setup and found the 300 spine worked better for me when tuning broad heads. I was able to get some heads to tune with the 340 spine but I could shoot whatever I wanted with the 300 spine arrow. As noted above you could could use the full 75 grain insert, slightly longer arrow and that bow at 65 lbs a 300 spine would be the ticket. Alternatively you could stay with the 340 spine and just adjust your draw weight up to see where that arrow starts to go out to tune. With a 340 grain Axis, 125 g head and 50 grain insert you'd still have a setup that weighs 480ish grains which at your draw weight may be a good happy medium for both arrow weight and speed. Just my $0.02.
Appreciate it!

mshortdog

FNG
No expert here. You may want to go to 300 spine. I have a similar setup as you. When I added foc I had to go down from 340 to get good arrow flight.

Rickz17

FNG
I have also the same setup and found 300 spine to fly great and almost no tuning.

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
300 no doubt. 340 will shoot fine but you’ll find much better flight with 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZDR
Im shooting #60 28” draw
- axis 340 @27.5” +50 grn hits and 125 heads . They are 485grn total and shoot fine. Id go 300 with the more poundage and little longer

Zac

WKR
Axis is great, if I were you I would run 50 grain insert va the 75 and finish with a footer from Elk River Archery. The HIT is an awesome system but it's fairly fragile on angled points of entry. Another 5mm shaft in the same class is the Black Eagle Rampage with the FOCUS system. Little lighter gpi, so you could throw a little more weight in the front. Both great options though.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'd get a couple of each shaft and see which one you shoot better. I recently bumped my bow up from 57# to 65# and with my 28.5" arrow length and 125 up front the tables put me right between a 340 and a 300. Already had a dozen 340s so I bought three 300s on Lancaster and the 340s shoot better with both field points and broadheads.

300 spine should work just fine for you if you go with the 50gr. Inserts without them I would lean towards the 340.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of a split decision. I would always lean towards a stiffer spine. I’d go with the 300’s with the 75/50 grain HIT inserts. The axis arrows are pretty awesome. Although you mentioned the small issues with the FMJ’s, I do throughly enjoy shooting them. They have done me well over the past 5 years. Goodluck!

Easton told me 260 spine for me.. i shoot 66 pounds with 29 inches draw, arrows are 29.5 with a ethic archery 55 -85 ga insert. So if I were you 300 spine. But like many I'm no expert. And I was told you cant be over spined with a compound bow???? But it well kill your foc with heavy arrows. mine are 10.3 foc.

OP
M

mtholton

FNG
Quick update. Went into the shop and they were adamant that I go with the 340... Said if there were issues to bring them back. 28.125 length arrow. Planning on doing 50 grains brass upfront with 125 broadhead. AAE Max Stealth Vane. 60 Lb draw.. Hope they are right, thank you for the input!

Your approx. arrow weight is: 473.69 grains.
Your arrow FOC is: 13.8%

Brendan

WKR
Quick update. Went into the shop and they were adamant that I go with the 340... Said if there were issues to bring them back. 28.125 length arrow. Planning on doing 50 grains brass upfront with 125 broadhead. AAE Max Stealth Vane. 60 Lb draw.. Hope they are right, thank you for the input!

Your approx. arrow weight is: 473.69 grains.
Your arrow FOC is: 13.8%

What is your draw length? You've been asked 3-4 times and cannot really answer the question without it.

You're probably in a situation you'll be fine with 340 unless you think about going up beyond 65#

OP
M

mtholton

FNG
What is your draw length? You've been asked 3-4 times and cannot really answer the question without it.

You're probably in a situation you'll be fine with 340 unless you think about going up beyond 65#

Sorry forgot that, it is 27.5

Brendan

WKR
Ok - I'd say stick with 340. You can probably go as short as somewhere around 25.75" - 26" on your arrow (carbon to carbon measurement) if you need to stiffen it up, depending on where your rest is.