Arrow failure or bad setup vs Elk

OP
gardo

gardo

FNG
This^

From my perspective of doing this awhile now, this was a good constructive thread….nice.

Its a good lesson for the new-to-elk guys…and a good reminder for the rest of us——a bad shot on an elk and they can go a long ways. take good solid shots….and know the animals anatomy- especially the bone structure.

It really illustrates the falacy of some of the internet experts and their “bone breaking“ arrow setups——Ugh No…you want to stay away from the big bones on an elk.

It has been a good conversation and I appreciate all of the comments. The situation sucks and it's a tough lesson to learn. I don't want to keep beating this horse but I still can't figure out what I hit. Probably never will. I've look at so much anatomy I feel I could perform surgery lol. Live, learn and go get after them again!

Read1t48

WKR
It really illustrates the falacy of some of the internet experts and their “bone breaking“ arrow setups——Ugh No…you want to stay away from the big bones on an elk.
What the heck are these Internet guys thinking? I know that heavy arrows are all the rage and I have been doing my homework. I continue to be baffled by the heavy arrow proponents that brag or even encourage you to put a broadhead in the shoulder. Some of them brag about going through both shoulders and they do it intentionally on big game. Personally, I hunt for the meat. It is beyond me why anyone would intentionally (not you, Gardo) hit the shoulder to not only jeopardize the chances of recovering the animal but ruining so much good quality meat. My Broadhead on a shoulder shot is more devastating than a bullet. I have short draw length. That sucks. My bow is at 72 pounds and I shoot a 442gr. arrow going 252 ft./s. While I am going to explore an arrow that is heavier, I am not going to ever attempt to put one in the shoulder and would not do it if I were shooting 90 pounds with a 31” DL.

OP
gardo

gardo

FNG
What the heck are these Internet guys thinking? I know that heavy arrows are all the rage and I have been doing my homework. I continue to be baffled by the heavy arrow proponents that brag or even encourage you to put a broadhead in the shoulder. Some of them brag about going through both shoulders and they do it intentionally on big game. Personally, I hunt for the meat. It is beyond me why anyone would intentionally (not you, Gardo) hit the shoulder to not only jeopardize the chances of recovering the animal but ruining so much good quality meat. My Broadhead on a shoulder shot is more devastating than a bullet. I have short draw length. That sucks. My bow is at 72 pounds and I shoot a 442gr. arrow going 252 ft./s. While I am going to explore an arrow that is heavier, I am not going to ever attempt to put one in the shoulder and would not do it if I were shooting 90 pounds with a 31” DL.
I know. I saw an add just today for an arrow that they were specifically pushing the idea it will go through a shoulder and penetrate deep enough. Pretty crazy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I know. I saw an add just today for an arrow that they were specifically pushing the idea it will go through a shoulder and penetrate deep enough. Pretty crazy
There's a lot of talk about "the shoulder" all the time, but people have different perceptions of what that means. Seems most the time that someone mentions "shoulder", they are talking about the shoulder blade. The only thing I worry about is the knuckle, where the blade and humerus come together. I don't care what kind of setup you're shooting......the knuckle should be avoided. But even elk ribs are thicker than "most" of the shoulder blade.

There's a lot of talk about "the shoulder" all the time, but people have different perceptions of what that means. Seems most the time that someone mentions "shoulder", they are talking about the shoulder blade. The only thing I worry about is the knuckle, where the blade and humerus come together. I don't care what kind of setup you're shooting......the knuckle should be avoided. But even elk ribs are thicker than "most" of the shoulder blade.

Between that, and in most situations the scapula isn't covering vitals, or a very small portion of them.

I think you need to be worried about both ends of the humorous. The ball end with the scapula, and the radius/ulna connection. Really just need to stay away from the humorous all together.

I usually wait if my shot is that quartering towards. Either let him face me a little more so I have a frontal, or let him get a little more broadside. Can also mean you don't get a shot, but it's archery.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I have had similar experiences over the years. I feel like you truly know where you hit. The angles can be very deceiving at times, and the other thing I've had happen (very easy for this to be the case) is to have a rib deflect or cause your arrow to take another path through the body than what you think. Blood out of the nose/mouth means you certainly got one lung and I would guess that is all you got, even with both shots. And elk with one lung will go and go and go and many times recover. And yes, it truly sucks to have this happen. I feel your pain and understand why you are searching for answers. You don't want this to happen again. You have a great setup and it is more than adequate.

OP
gardo

gardo

FNG
I have had similar experiences over the years. I feel like you truly know where you hit. The angles can be very deceiving at times, and the other thing I've had happen (very easy for this to be the case) is to have a rib deflect or cause your arrow to take another path through the body than what you think. Blood out of the nose/mouth means you certainly got one lung and I would guess that is all you got, even with both shots. And elk with one lung will go and go and go and many times recover. And yes, it truly sucks to have this happen. I feel your pain and understand why you are searching for answers. You don't want this to happen again. You have a great setup and it is more than adequate.
I agree with you on the rib. I Strongly believe I squared up on a rib (maybe two?) which caused something strange to happen. Will the next shot be farther back, absolutely. We watched blood pour out from a spot we both felt was pretty good placement. Again, same shot but a few inches back and I would probably be posting kill pics instead of figuring out what went wrong. I still want to try the iron will HIT and collar. I’ll keep everything the same weight but figure a little extra beef up front can’t hurt.

OP
gardo

gardo

FNG
Just for fun, here’s a pic of where he laid down for a bit. I don’t think we pushed him. I could explain why I don’t think we pushed him but it would be another long story.

Attachments

• 75A7F72A-2418-40BE-831F-DABD0CAA94AB.jpeg
    75A7F72A-2418-40BE-831F-DABD0CAA94AB.jpeg
    786 KB · Views: 34

3forks

WKR
I agree with you on this.

I think the trend of shooting heavier arrows was a concept that has gotten a little convoluted. There are certainly benefits to a heavier arrow, but advocating shots through the shoulder seems misguided to me.

I‘d contend that all modern bows, arrows/components, fixed broad heads, etc. are designed a degree that they have enough performance and are forgiving enough to account for a lot of marginal shots.

The advocates of heavy arrows and shooting through the shoulder are taking this too far. It seems to me, that there is less emphasis on encouraging archers to develop better form and shot processes than there needs to be. I know that a lot of guys want to just pick up a bow and be able to start shooting it accurately, but it seems like other than a few guys like Dudley who are addressing form and shot processes, most archery ”experts” are more talking about arrow setups that will account for a bad shot.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Just for fun, here’s a pic of where he laid down for a bit. I don’t think we pushed him. I could explain why I don’t think we pushed him but it would be another long story.
I know it is disheartening to have that much blood and no elk to show for it. It really stinks but you certainly gave it good effort. My buddy shot an 4 point bull elk this year with a light (sub 400 grain) arrow and Rage. The Rage bent over on entry and a blade actually fell out before the head entered the animal. The arrow deflected off a rib and turned and went back through the liver and into the gut. The bull was slightly quartered away, not to the archer. Arrow broke nearly in half and only front half that was till in the bull was recovered. Track was along one with little to no blood at times. Only one lung hit. Bull died overnight. Had his arrow continued forward and not been turned by the rib, I don't think he would have recovered that animal. Liver damage is what killed him in my opinion. He does plan to go with 500+ grain arrows in the future with fixed blade heads. He already got some G5 Strikers 3 blade 125 grainers and is waiting on his new shafts to show up as we speak. Not that this will fix all his problems, but it will be a setup he will have confidence in and be less likely not to deflect quite as badly.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure there were more factors at play, but it's a fact that he hit a rib on entry crunched the head. When you walk up to where the bull was standing at impact and see a blade laying there in the dirt, your heart sorta sinks. I watched him shoot in camp and to me he was getting great flight. Last year he was less than prepared. This year he had his stuff together. He never really had done any research on arrow weight etc, but his bow was tuned and he was stacking arrows in camp before we headed up the mountain. I stood behind him and was watching him shoot and I was impressed that he had gotten his stuff together this year.

If anything I would say he was borderline underspined which may have caused the arrow to flex more on impact giving him the results he had. I did a test once on different fletchings and different spines. I found that a slightly stiffer spine tends to penetrate more due to less side to side flex on impact. I also found that the faster you could get a shaft to rotate, the deeper it would end up in a target due to keeping the energy more centered in the shaft. Everything plays a part and sometimes it is hard to figure out what went wrong when it does.

It is hard to say what happened without recovering the animal. But I would have to say the arrow didn't hit where you think you saw it hit. The set up you are shooting is definitely enough for elk.

cured_ham

WKR
I would be curious what your tune looks like. Seems to me like you had to have hit something very hard or had to have had the arrow flying wonky.

The takeaway is 60 yards is a long shot. Social media seems to be a primary protagonist in shooting at these ranges being "ok". IMO if you can get to 60 you should be able to get to 40. It's more fun that way too. Sorry about your experience but its a good learning lesson!