Arrow Flight am I overthinking

wa_archer

FNG
I built a new set up this year for my arrows around the same arrow Axis 5mm. Everything flys great at first look. Sighted in very quickly no issues there. I was over a buddies house and set up some paper to shot it through. at close range shots bullet holes. around 10 yards the arrow is obviously correcting itself as the point is hitting about 3/4 of an inch to the left of the fletchings going through the paper. Out at 20 it is bullet holes again. Is this a normal or inside what you would expect to see? I feel like it is normal due to the arrow oscillating a bit prior to flying perfectly straight. My buddy is saying i should adjust my rest. Any thoughts from guys more versed in this.

Shooting 70lbs bowtech, 32 draw, with Easton Axis 5mm 260 shaft 30.5 inch long, ethics archery insert 150gr with 125g target point. planning on hunting with single bevel 2 blade broadhead.

what happens when you shoot broadheads and field points? 3/4" tear at any distance sounds like a lot to me, but I don't do that much paper tuning.

Your set up also sounds like it might be a bit weak on spine with your draw and that much weight up front, but I don't have pinwheel up at the moment to verify. Personally, I don't care what the arrow maker charts say, I use pinwheel and on-target results to evaluate spine adequacy. It seems like you've set your arrow up based on some Ashby principles, that may or may not get you the actual performance you want.

Bump79

WKR
I second what is said above. I'd be willing to guess you're under spined with as much point weight and at that draw, that's what your tear is telling you too. But before I did that I'd skip the paper tuning and see how your broadhead flies.

@ResearchinStuff I agree.. Ashby principles have relevancy but sure complicates things for a very marginal (if any) gain.

FWIW qSpine says you would be somewhat underspined shooting the bow/arrow described below. I think .031" weak is close enough that the arrow should still tune, but if you wanted to test the effect of strengthening the spine, you could try a lighter field point or back your draw weight off and see what happens to your paper tears. You still need to shoot broadheads alongside field points at some point though, so you could just ditch the paper and go straight to broadhead tuning.

Bow inputs: 340 fps IBO, 70# DW, 32" DL, 35" ATA, 7" BH, 80% LO
Arrow inputs: 30.5" C2C, 125 gr head, 150 gr insert, 9 gr nock, 3 vanes at 7 gr each
Screenshot_20220613-110348_qSpine.jpg

OP
W

wa_archer

FNG
FWIW qSpine says you would be somewhat underspined shooting the bow/arrow described below. I think .031" weak is close enough that the arrow should still tune, but if you wanted to test the effect of strengthening the spine, you could try a lighter field point or back your draw weight off and see what happens to your paper tears. You still need to shoot broadheads alongside field points at some point though, so you could just ditch the paper and go straight to broadhead tuning.

Bow inputs: 340 fps IBO, 70# DW, 32" DL, 35" ATA, 7" BH, 80% LO
Arrow inputs: 30.5" C2C, 125 gr head, 150 gr insert, 9 gr nock, 3 vanes at 7 gr each
View attachment 419527
Thanks for running those numbers for me. I am going to decrease my field tip by 25 and see how it changes things. I agree i plan on shooting broadheads and see how they shot. I just want to get as close as i can so i know exactly which weight broadhead.

Yooper

WKR
If your goal is to shoot fixed blade broadheads I'd just move to broadhead tuning now. I've had bows that paper tuned out of tune but shot broadheads together with field points well. If you were way out of whack on paper tuning I'd advise getting that close to dialed in first, but you're already good there IMO.

Broadhead tuning shows if your set up is good or not really quick. At 20 they won't group the same if it's not good.

fatlander

WKR
I would guess you’re probably under spined with that setup. That’s a lot of weight on the front of that shaft.

Shoot a bareshaft at 20 yards, that’ll tell the tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Arrow flight is important, so that's not hard to overthink. But I wouldn't have used a 150gr insert. Ethics 100gr SS insert would have been fine, or a 75gr HIT. That's a lot of weight up front and overall arrow, regardless whether it's stiff or weak. I would also go straight to BH tuning. I wouldn't bother with 20 yards.........start at 40 or 60, you'll finish sooner.