Arrow hit concrete... Now what?

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at the pictures on this thread might cause me to develop an archery flinch. Yikes!

They removed the big pieces in the ER. Had surgery the next week to get the rest out and repair the severed tendon. I was able to shoot a bow a few months later. Recovery was worse than any shoulder surgery though. Very sensitive to the touch still.

Shooting is fine now. However, I started riding motocross again and the thumb will go numb after a few laps.

Wow I’m surprised you were able to get back to shooting that quick that’s impressive, I’m not sure if I could go back to it after an ordeal like that, what shaft was it?

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I usually do shoot FMJ’s but this was one of my few remaining Carbon Express arrows. Needless to say, I only have FMJ’s now.

Read1t48

WKR
So I’ve only been shooting for about 4 years and have hardly heard of an arrow exploding until this thread. Honestly, it kind has me freaked out... especially carbon arrows handed down to my son. How does one know they’re ‘good’? Do they go bad? If an arrow is sunk into a tree or something else, how do you know they’re good? What about minor chips in the carbon on the insert side—- at the very end of the shaft?

So I’ve only been shooting for about 4 years and have hardly heard of an arrow exploding until this thread. Honestly, it kind has me freaked out... especially carbon arrows handed down to my son. How does one know they’re ‘good’? Do they go bad? If an arrow is sunk into a tree or something else, how do you know they’re good? What about minor chips in the carbon on the insert side—- at the very end of the shaft?

Like most have said, when it doubt throw it out.

I know it sucks to throw out 10-20 bucks, but that 10-20 you think you’re saving can turn into 10-20k in medical bills not to mention missed seasons or permanent disability. Not worth it, just take the hit and move on.

I‘m over cautious about this stuff. I flex each arrow before I practice and while practicing I’ll flex them when I pull them from the target to check. If arrows touch depending on how they touched I may just toss them right then and there. Really makes a case for using a different aiming point on your target for each spot vs. shooting groups.

I'm still shooting arrows from 2014, but just culled a couple out, one for a split at nock end after another arrow struck it and the other had a flat area at the Fletch end that I felt when changing the vanes. Had to check back in my email to see when I bought them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
I shoot wraps and they've saved me problems in the past. The wrap shows the stress marks or cracks that develop in the tail. If the nock comes out you have to check it carefully. A lot of energy gets transfered there. In the tip I use footers on my skinny arrows for added strength. They either shear right behind the footer or transfer the energy to the tail.

Sorry it happens to anyone at all and hope it never happens to me.