Arrow insert shortage???

Just replenishing my arrows post season and called in an order to Lancaster archery supply. The person said they didn’t have the inserts (Easton 50 grain brass for 5mm Easton axis) to make them and hadn’t had a shipment since September. No ETA on when they will arrive.

Really? One of the bigger archery suppliers out there doesn’t have straight down the fairway components? is this a thing, now? Arrow component shortages?

I guess I could go with another insert but I want to use the same components as last year‘s batch if possible, so I told them to make them whenever they get the right stuff.

anyone know what’s going on?

Maybe the factories had COVID shut downs and are behind? All the brass getting soaked up by ammo hoarders? Darn Preppers one step ahead of me on their apocalypse preparations?

MattB

WKR
Just replenishing my arrows post season and called in an order to Lancaster archery supply. The person said they didn’t have the inserts (Easton 50 grain brass for 5mm Easton axis) to make them and hadn’t had a shipment since September. No ETA on when they will arrive.

Really? One of the bigger archery suppliers out there doesn’t have straight down the fairway components? is this a thing, now? Arrow component shortages?

I guess I could go with another insert but I want to use the same components as last year‘s batch if possible, so I told them to make them whenever they get the right stuff.

anyone know what’s going on?

Maybe the factories had COVID shut downs and are behind? All the brass getting soaked up by ammo hoarders? Darn Preppers one step ahead of me on their apocalypse preparations?
There has been low/no supply of those for months. The "straight down the fairway" component is the 16 gr. aluminum insert they come with, which I would bet is what 99 out of 100 Axis shooters use, so probably not a ton of demand.

Last edited:

Anozira

WKR
I've been calling my local archery shop once a week checking on arrow shipments. They keep telling me try back next week. I was beginning to get frustrated but it doesn't seem to be an isolated event.

OP
Desk Jockey
Seriously?

holly $#!+. I am going to be reduced to throwing rocks next hunting season.

Tradchef

WKR
As far as my shop told me this past fall they were moving away from the brass insert on the axis and going to the 25 grain aluminum half out and 75 grain stainless steel half out. I didn’t see the brass on the website so I’m assuming this is fairly legit. I know I have some brass I bought but have been using the half out on my trad arrows with good success.

OP
Desk Jockey
As far as my shop told me this past fall they were moving away from the brass insert on the axis and going to the 25 grain aluminum half out and 75 grain stainless steel half out. I didn’t see the brass on the website so I’m assuming this is fairly legit. I know I have some brass I bought but have been using the half out on my trad arrows with good success.
Hmmmm. Now you got me thinking.

I am kind of a dunce on bow stuff. I shoot a 75# HOYT 34 on. 30” draw. Had been shooting 338 grain maxima reds from 2016 thru 2019 seasons at a touch over 300 FPS. I did the pepsi challenge last year with 5 flavors of arrows And the Easton 300 spine 5mms seemed to be the sweet spot. I talked to a couple of people about adding some weight upfront and a brass insert was suggested.

should I look at half outs instead?

what I am running now is a 5mm axis 300. Cut to 30.5 inches. 50 grain brass insert. 25 gain iron will impact collar. With 100 grain broadhead I have about a 550 grain finished weight. I suppose I could use the 75 grain half out and dump the impact collar for the same net weight FOC and overall.

got a clean pass through on a buck this year. Arrow stuck in the ground on the other side. Blades on the muzzy trocar were beat up but the ferrule was straight and the arrow wasn’t broken, which was happening 4 out of 5 times with the maxima reds.

Tradchef

WKR
So far I’m liking them but I can’t say I feel like are better than the brass I normally used. 5Miles is right though.....if you are dead set on brass eBay or check some shops online. I might have some as well. I’ll look later when I get home

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Lancaster archery has them in stock right now. I much prefer the HIT/Collar system than halfout/outserts.

OP
Desk Jockey
So far I’m liking them but I can’t say I feel like are better than the brass I normally used. 5Miles is right though.....if you are dead set on brass eBay or check some shops online. I might have some as well. I’ll look later when I get home

i am not set on the brass inserts. Was just trying to stay consistent with what I had built last year so the new arrows would (hopefully) be interchangeable with last year’s.

weird because they do show them in stock.

OP
Desk Jockey
Just order them from Ironwill.
I guess I could and then send them to Lancaster to build the arrows. I am not set up to build my own yet but that is coming.

Something doesn’t add up because Lancaster has the inserts in stock on their website but they are telling me they don’t have them to build the arrows. The person i spoke to was helpful and knowledgeable, but I didn’t get the sense she was a shooter or hunter. At least not as much as the guy i spoke to previously that had helped me out with the arrow formula based on what he shot.

Zac

WKR
I guess I could and then send them to Lancaster to build the arrows. I am not set up to build my own yet but that is coming.

Something doesn’t add up because Lancaster has the inserts in stock on their website but they are telling me they don’t have them to build the arrows. The person i spoke to was helpful and knowledgeable, but I didn’t get the sense she was a shooter or hunter. At least not as much as the guy i spoke to previously that had helped me out with the arrow formula based on what he shot.
Just take the components to your shop.

Zac

WKR
Order the HIT insert tool from Iron Will and get yourself some cool melt. That way if you screw it up you can start over