Arrow Length Question for Gap Shooters

Tilzbow

WKR
Question for you gap shooters. If I extend my arrow length my 2” how much could that reduce my point on range? Arrow speed is 190 FPS with a 460 grain arrow from my 50# longbow.

More detail:

I shoot split fingers and my point on is 60 yards with a 32” arrow. Needless to say, gap shooting inside of 45 yards is pretty much worthless for me so it’s all done by feel of the sight picture (AKA instinctive). Black Eagle now makes a 34” shaft for traditional shooters that I’m considering switching to if it would reduce my point on range to 40 yards or under. I’ve tried 3 under several times for extended periods of time and that doesn’t work for me for a few reasons (bow tillered for split, too noisy with 3-under and a few others) so I’m not switching from split fingers.

Question for you gap shooters. If I extend my arrow length my 2” how much could that reduce my point on range? Arrow speed is 190 FPS with a 460 grain arrow from my 50# longbow.

More detail:

I shoot split fingers and my point on is 60 yards with a 32” arrow. Needless to say, gap shooting inside of 45 yards is pretty much worthless for me so it’s all done by feel of the sight picture (AKA instinctive). Black Eagle now makes a 34” shaft for traditional shooters that I’m considering switching to if it would reduce my point on range to 40 yards or under. I’ve tried 3 under several times for extended periods of time and that doesn’t work for me for a few reasons (bow tillered for split, too noisy with 3-under and a few others) so I’m not switching from split fingers.
It depends how low your anchor point is. The lower your anchor point, the more arrow length affects your point on distance.

That being said, cutting 20 yards seems like alot with just arrow length alone. Unless you anchor super low.

Wrench

WKR
I'm curious how your point on can be so far shooting split. What's 3 under do....75yds?

Do you anchor at the bottom of your jaw?

One easy way to test this would be to go to 40 yards. Get your current sight picture and determine where your arrow point is (bottom of the bale, rock, put a pushpin in the target etc). Then tape a 2" long stick to the end of your arrow. Draw back again and put the arrow tip on the pin,rock etc, and see how close the stick is to the center of the target.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
It depends how low your anchor point is. The lower your anchor point, the more arrow length affects your point on distance.

That being said, cutting 20 yards seems like alot with just arrow length alone. Unless you anchor super low.

Middle finger, corner of mouth. But as you know at 6’6” I’ve got a longer face than most….

But not your point on distance.
Yes it does. Three under I have a point on of 42 yards. Split its well over 50.

The farther below your eye the arrow is, the further your point on will be. It's the reason Olympic archers anchor under the chin. If they anchored in the corner of their mouth the arrow point would be above the target at 90 meters.

Reactions: FLS

Btaylor

WKR
Jeez sorry i haven't had my coffee yet. Oops.
Had the same mental cramp while I was playing with some different shot stuff at 50 yards. Thought I just need to shoot this split finger and proceeded to air mail one over the target by a few feet. As the arrow sailed out of sight into a giant patch of blackberry vines, I remembered. lol

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
One easy way to test this would be to go to 40 yards. Get your current sight picture and determine where your arrow point is (bottom of the bale, rock, put a pushpin in the target etc). Then tape a 2" long stick to the end of your arrow. Draw back again and put the arrow tip on the pin,rock etc, and see how close the stick is to the center of the target.

I fished with our mutual friend Tim today and he thinks it’ll only reduce it by 5 yards.

oldgoat

WKR
I don't really have an exact answer for you, but 2" will make a significant change especially if you go to a heavier gpi arrow. I have monkey arms and a ridiculously long draw for my height and shoot split low anchor, my point on with a 32" arrow is usually around 60yds with bows shooting in the 180fps range. I used to be really good shot at long ranges with that and horrible at close range, I switched to slower longbows and significantly improved at normal ranges. I can tell you that a one inch arrow shortening put me about a foot high at 25 yards recently so adding length and weight can definitely help!