Arrow length.

cmeier117

WKR
Do you guys cut your arrows to where no part of the broadhead is over your shelf? Or where the broadhead comes past the shelf towards the rest?

Ditto what IAHNTR said. My draw length is 26.5" and I cut my arrows to 27.5", mostly to get the broadhead out in front of my fingers a bit. As long as the arrow spine is correct for your setup you should be fine either way.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are shooting a fall away rest, make sure the arrow is long enough so the arrow will lift up in time for the broadhead to clear the shelf. Otherwise it can hang up on the shelf and pop your nock off the string. Did that on a 6-pt bull one time... 30 yards - broadside and I'm at full draw without an arrow on the string. Real cool... Funny how well you learn the lessons that are learned the hard way! My old man used to say, "You learn hard boy, but you learn good!"

Other than that, pay attention to your arrow spine charts - an inch in length makes a big difference on how stiff your arrow needs to be. That's probably the biggest factor. Be sure to leave yourself a little room - strings stretch sometimes and you can cause issues if your arrow is cut too close to the rest's launcher.

Coop

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I am just going to make sure the base of my arrow is at the end of the shelf... Darin convinced me. I want my Dad to tell me, "You learn easy boy, and you learn good!" So I will learn from your misfortune!

OR Archer

WKR
at our shop we always recommend cutting them to the front of the riser for that very reason. most of the time that will put your arrow length about a 1/2" longer than what your draw length is on most bows.

Beastmode

WKR
I have my arrows cut at the end of the shelf. This keeps the broadhead far enough away from my fingers. Wouldn't want it much more than a 1/2 closer to your rest than the shelf.

I cut my arrows 1/4" in front of my rest at full draw. That allows me to shoot fixed or expandable and still have clearance. I have never had any issues.

JG358

WKR
I never really payed any attention if they stuck out past the shelf or not, I just cut them to what ever length they tune the best.

Last edited:
I always cut mine to 31.5", that gives me about 1.5" past the front of the riser. Why so much you ask, it makes sure that if I overdraw I won't hit my hand or the riser, AND it keeps the broadhead far enough in front of my hands that I can still wear a heavy glove on my bow hand when it is frigid cold outside.

J-Daddy

WKR
I cut my arrows 1/4" in front of my rest at full draw. That allows me to shoot fixed or expandable and still have clearance. I have never had any issues.

I usually cut mine about 1/2" from the rest at full draw...And I push my rest back away from the shelf. I like a short arrow, it stiffens the spine up and there's less surface area so less wind drift. If it works for Randy Ulmer it'll work for me.

for me it all depends each arrow is different. some might be a 1/4" past and some might be a 1" depending on the arrow. I cut them a bit while tuning them to fit.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cut mine about 1/4" in front of rest. No problems so far. The no k coming off string isn't an arrow length problem though. Replace your serving with a thicker material or get tighter nocks.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord