Arrow Opinion w/ Regards to Wind

TX_Diver

WKR
I bought 2 different spine arrows to try as I thought I may be slightly underspined with my new bow but I didn't find either of them to group significantly better.

Bow is a prime CT5. Drawing 29.75" at 69lbs.

Both arrows are black eagle rampages, one is 250 spine and the other is 300. 100 gr broadhead with 4 AAE stealth vanes on the back.

With regards to wind drift which would you guys think would perform better?

250 Spine has a total arrow weight of 505 grains. Estimated speed would be 275 fps. Arrow OD - .276"

300 Spine has a total arrow weight of 446 grains. Estimated speed would be 294 fps. Arrow OD - .264"

At 50 yards I'm hitting about 5" lower with the 250 spines so obviously the lighter arrow will have a slightly flatter trajectory. I've seen varying arguments for heavier arrows being affected by the wind vs a lower profile arrow moving faster being affected by the wind so just curious as to the opinion on here before I order another batch and fletch them up.

Cheers.

mtbshark

WKR
In my world the 250 is overly stiff for your setup. The 300 is a better choice. But as stated above another 25g or so on the front would be a solid choice. If possible use a different insert to add the weight and run 100 heads.

.02$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I'm shooting 300 Rampages at 28" and 71ish pounds, cut 28 carbon to carbon with 75 grain HITs and 100 gr tips (455 total weight). Your vane height will also play into the wind drift equation, which you didn't mention. If you are concerned I'd opt for a lower profile vane too. I run Vanetec VMax 2.5" in 4-fletch. Honestly, I really don't notice considerable wind drift out to 70 unless it is REALLY windy with my setup. What the wind does affect significantly is my pin float. I have a relatively heavy hunting setup on one of my bows (about 8.5 pounds total weight) and it holds WAY better in the wind than my lighter bow (about 7.5 pounds).

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
Are you fletching them with a hard helical, or offset?
Those Stealth vanes are also heavy (like 9. something per vane). Have you tried them in 3 fletch? Weaken your spine a bit and reduce drag caused by the actual vane.
Without changing anything, how do 125 grain field tips fly?

My arrows from last year at 313 (450 grains) have more windage correction than my arrows for this year at 280 (570 grains) fwiw

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm fletching them with a right helical.

I have played with different field point weights with the 300 spines (w/ 3 blazers) and didn't see any noticeable difference between 85 to 100. 125 seemed to open up slightly which lead me to think I may be close to being underspined w/ the 300s.

I have some max pro vanes I can play with too but need to settle on an arrow first. I was leaning 300 purely as it's a smaller diameter shaft rather than for the weight savings.

mtbshark

WKR
Are you fletching them with a hard helical, or offset?
Those Stealth vanes are also heavy (like 9. something per vane). Have you tried them in 3 fletch? Weaken your spine a bit and reduce drag caused by the actual vane.
Without changing anything, how do 125 grain field tips fly?

My arrows from last year at 313 (450 grains) have more windage correction than my arrows for this year at 280 (570 grains) fwiw

The max version is 9ish grains and the hybrid is 7ish grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked at those Hybrids but haven't bought any yet. The 3" Vane Tec V-Max is listed at 6.40 grains per website. When i shot the Max Stealths against the V-tecs, the Stealths were about 2-4 inches lower at 100.

Brendan

WKR
I've looked at those Hybrids but haven't bought any yet. The 3" Vane Tec V-Max is listed at 6.40 grains per website. When i shot the Max Stealths against the V-tecs, the Stealths were about 2-4 inches lower at 100.
Just bought VMax, and have run Max Stealth for the last couple years. Some comparisons, 3 fletch vs. 4

7da6267cb1c8cd9ebecc41f87e64d481.jpg
da8f0b337e38e0bf3f092806f5f04684.jpg
60a75252a7ac51cdd4e97c64aa52939c.jpg
06880f8f72b0cf9fe57d97747fe028aa.jpg

Increase foc for better wind abatement, I think that is what I read and heard. Lighter fletching. Wouldn't think you'd need the 250s unless using really heavy bh.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would forget about motivating the wind. The reality is the wind will affect the shooter and how well they hold 100 times more than it will affect the arrow.

One of the top pro shooters, and I think it was Stephan Hansen, just did a fairly recent video on wind affects. He was shooting 60 yards from inside a structure protected from the wind and shooting out into the wind at 20 mph. The arrow drifted about 2-4” on average. There is no way you could hold that tight if a group of the archer themselves were out in that element.

I would shoot the set up that best performs out of your bow for you, then work on being the best archer you can be. Practice in the wind and get comfortable holding off or bubbling to get your arrow in the middle.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The reality is the wind will affect the shooter and how well they hold 100 times more than it will affect the arrow.

Yep, a few years ago I was at the range with a constant cross wind from right to left.......I'm guessing 20-30mph. There was no way I could have shot accurately at any distance in that wind. But I knelt next to my truck as a wind break and aimed at the 80 yard bales. I intentionally aimed at the very right side of the bales so the wind would push them left into the middle of the bale. I was shocked when I got up to the bales and every arrow was within 2" of the right edge of the bale. That was with 500gr arrows going 285fps, with FP's and 2" QS Speed Hunter vanes.

Yep, a few years ago I was at the range with a constant cross wind from right to left.......I'm guessing 20-30mph. There was no way I could have shot accurately at any distance in that wind. But I knelt next to my truck as a wind break and aimed at the 80 yard bales. I intentionally aimed at the very right side of the bales so the wind would push them left into the middle of the bale. I was shocked when I got up to the bales and every arrow was within 2" of the right edge of the bale. That was with 500gr arrows going 285fps, with FP's and 2" QS Speed Hunter vanes.
Just watched a guy in YouTube shooting 130 yds with a 7-8mph wind and he said about a 7-8 inch drift, I think, at that distance from his bow. I think his arrow was 380gr Victory VAP with 140 on the tip. Ironically he bullseyed the silhouette first shot. So I guess wind has greater affect on shooter with bow as a sail than the skinny arrow.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So I guess wind has greater affect on shooter with bow as a sail than the skinny arrow.

Yep, but I will say.......as soon as you throw on a fixed blade BH, all bets are off. I shot in Central Montana at 80 yards in a strong crosswind, while shielded from the wind next to a garage. I was shooting 125gr Shuttle T's and they were impacting 18" left of the bullseye consistently. My buddy gave me a Grim Reaper mechanical to try, and it was impacting 2" left. That was my wakeup call and introduction to mechanical BH's. I started carrying one in my quiver that year (125gr Spitfire), and shot a big 6x6 with it at 59 yards.........devastating. Then shot another 6x6 with the 125gr GR Fatal Steel.........devastating. So now my quiver is the opposite........all mechanicals, and one fixed.

But I'm also shooting 500+ grain arrows at 75lbs with a 32 1/2" draw.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I ordered some of the 300s yesterday and some more stealth vanes. I've got some max pro vanes laying around too so I'll fletch up 3 arrows with them and then play around. Next year maybe I'll mess with the vanetecs. I've got 3 broadheads I'm considering (G5 striker, magnus stinger, and rage NC) so I'll shoot a few groups with each and see what happens. I'm only hunting antelope and ibex so leaning towards trying the mechanicals. Will post some results of my testing as soon as my back stops hurting. Pulled something on Monday while grappling and haven't been able to draw my bow again yet.