Arrow Recommendations

I am needing to go to a stiffer spine for my new set up. Have been shooting GT Kinetic Kaos 300 spine and components they come with. Haven’t really had any problems with that setup. Needing to go to a 250 spine or in the case of of the kinetic a 200 spine.

It’s been awhile since I’ve shot a “normal” sized arrow, a .245 ID. Past 10 years or so I’ve shot .166 or .204 ID arrows. Real world experience, is there a noticeable difference in shooting a 204 arrow vs. a 245 arrow in the wind? Realistically the more wind the closer a guy can get to a critter and shouldn’t have to take a longer shot.

Here’s the arrow set ups I’m looking at. I probably can’t go wrong with any of them but looking for opinions.

#1 Easton Axis 5mm 260 about $125 cost
TAW 505-565 depending on insert used. 16gr stock insert or 50-75gr brass insert. Up to roughly 14% FOC again depending on insert.

#2 GT Black Label Quantum 250 about $160
TAW 470gr with stock components. About 12% FOC. No experience with these arrows. Slightly concerned with durability with this arrow.

#3 GT Kinetic Kaos 200 about $160
TAW 535gr with stock components. About 12% FOC

#4 GT Hunter XT 250 about $130 with 50 grain inserts
513gr with 50gr insert. 13% FOC

I’ve shot all these arrows in the past except the GT quantum. Slightly concerned with durability of these being a lighter weight shaft. Also with this shaft having to use “aftermarket” components to up arrow weight some. Used the GT FOC calculator to figure that for each arrow. My biggest concerns would be durability of arrow and shooting in the wind.

Thoughts?

WCB

WKR
I shoot the GT Hunter Pros...came from shooting GT Pierce Platinum, VAPS, and other small diameter arrows. Not that there isn't a difference in wind deflection but it hasn't effected my shooting out to 70+ yards. IMO if it is windy enough to notice I probably can't hold my bow steady enough to tell anyways.

Like I said I have shot a bunch of the small diameter arrows and some other "normal" sized "premium" arrows and the GT Hunters are by far my favorite. I have not had any broken or damaged arrows unless it has been from an animal running away with one in it or I hit it with another arrow.

OR Archer

WKR
What’s your current bow and specs versus your last?
Also what’s your current arrow specs? Just curious if it’d warrant a change or not and if so it will help with suggestions

When shooting a broadhead and vanes adequate to steer, I think shaft diameter is a pretty minimal concern for wind drift.

I'm a pretty big fan of regular. 244-.246 diameter, tho I think .204 is pretty good as well. With hits squaring the front end is more important than with a standard insert.

I didn't find the gold tips foc calculator to be accurate, it's always lower than what they come out to when built. However I don't much care what my foc is so long as it's at least 10% with a broadhead.

Here is my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

Stay away from the Eastons. In my experience, they have durability issues. As for the GT Hunter XTs, I shot them for many years and still use them for my light setup (445 total arrow weight)

For my "heavy" set up (565 total arrow weight) I use Sirius Apollos. I like their SS half-outsert system and I have never had a problem with durability, and that includes putting one into a brick wall at 20 yards because I am sometimes a dumbass and forget to dial my pins back down.

OP
Jake Leibke
What’s your current bow and specs versus your last?
Also what’s your current arrow specs? Just curious if it’d warrant a change or not and if so it will help with suggestions

Previous bow : Bowtech BT-Mag 70# 30” draw
Current arrow setup for that : GT Kinetic Kaos 300 spine 27.5” carbon to carbon. 29.5” overall. 125 gr head. 468 gr TAW

New bow : PSE EVO EVL 80# 30.5” draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jake Leibke
Here is my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

Stay away from the Eastons. In my experience, they have durability issues. As for the GT Hunter XTs, I shot them for many years and still use them for my light setup (445 total arrow weight)

For my "heavy" set up (565 total arrow weight) I use Sirius Apollos. I like their SS half-outsert system and I have never had a problem with durability, and that includes putting one into a brick wall at 20 yards because I am sometimes a dumbass and forget to dial my pins back down.

I looked into the Sirius Apollos. I’m not a fan of the half- outserts. Have not used the ethics ones but others I have used have been sub par. I actually contacted Sirius about buying just the shaft without inserts and would purchase the ethics hit system. They said they could but only a $1 credit per arrow without the insert. So probably won’t do that.

Northpark

WKR
I’ll suggest the Easton axis. I’ve been shooting them for a couple years on some tough 3D courses, some of mine have made multiple passes through critters. I like them but I generally only shoot out to around 80 yards max. Not a lot of 100+ yard shooting for me personally.

Yup m currently shooting mine with tac driver vanes and 75gr inserts and 125gr heads up front for about 14% FOC and like 539gr arrows

Blasey

FNG
If I were you I would stick with the Kinetic's. I have shot all different kinds of arrows, most recently GT Hunter Pro in 300 spine - shot them for years. Then I started hunting Caribou on the North Slope, the wind never stops and the GT Hunters with 2 1/4" X vane shield cuts caught the wind and would deviate several feet at yardage. I went with Kinetic 250 spine - 6 of these standard Kinetics deviated up to .012' on my spine tester-way out of tolerance. The other 6 were good, but for that much money they should have all been good. I bought another dozen - this time in the Tour version. Every single one of these arrows were completely straight on the Ram spine tester, with and without the weight. Load these up with ethics archery stainless inserts and aluminum outsert and you have 135 grains before you put on the broadhead. Glue on some 2" Gateway feathers on the back and throw out the nock collar. Now this is the arrow I've been looking for!! Over 19% FOC and can buck a significate wind at distance. Two complete pass throughs last year at distance. Other than the cost I couldn't be much happier.

Blasey

FNG
The above arrows are 31" long shot (C to C) shot from a Mathews Atlas set at 65lb's and a 32" draw length.

I’d recommend GT Pierce Platinums, I’ve found them for $150 a dozen a few times. I switched to them last year from Hunter XT and they were a lot more consistent. The black labels are the same shafts as the XT’s if I’m not mistaken.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
Previous bow : Bowtech BT-Mag 70# 30” draw
Current arrow setup for that : GT Kinetic Kaos 300 spine 27.5” carbon to carbon. 29.5” overall. 125 gr head. 468 gr TAW

New bow : PSE EVO EVL 80# 30.5” draw

Honestly any of your suggestions would work well out of that bow. I like Axis Match grade with brass insert. Add a collar to it and it’s pretty darn indestructible. So number one would be my pick.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’d choose #4 or the regular GT Hunters. Accurate and durable. They’ve worked very well for me for nearly 20 years.

Blasey

FNG
Not a big fan of the .166 ID shafts. Trying to steer clear of them.

This doesn't make sense to me on a hunting arrow. I am not trying to be rude but what is not to like? They hold up really well during practice, have excellent wind resistance, they are quite and penetrate on game like no other when loaded up front. Depending on draw weight/length they can be loaded with 185 grain insert/outsert with Ethics archery gear +a 200 grain single bevel if needed. That is 385 grains at the tip, good for both recurve and compound. I am curious as to your reasons why. Ashby's top 12 have taught me a lot.

wayoh22

WKR
This doesn't make sense to me on a hunting arrow. I am not trying to be rude but what is not to like? They hold up really well during practice, have excellent wind resistance, they are quite and penetrate on game like no other when loaded up front. Depending on draw weight/length they can be loaded with 185 grain insert/outsert with Ethics archery gear +a 200 grain single bevel if needed. That is 385 grains at the tip, good for both recurve and compound. I am curious as to your reasons why. Ashby's top 12 have taught me a lot.
I think .166 ID is still somewhat new in the grand scheme of things, lack options for certain components compared to your standard ID's and can get pricey real quick.

The Ashby thing probably doesn't help as well as some people are turned off by that whole debacle. Some people care about FOC and some don't at all. Personal choice in the end.

Components suck, especially the outserts.

The penetration gains are mostly imaginary. A broadhead cuts a way bigger hole than any shaft that's used for hunting anymore, so the penetration is really dependent on the head, not the shaft that is behind it.

But there's lots of marketing out there to make consumers think otherwise.