Arrow rotational energy

N2TRKYS

WKR
Does a loss in arrow rotational energy effect some of the total energy of the arrow or does it effect arrow flight and accuracy only?

Does a loss in arrow rotational energy effect some of the total energy of the arrow or does it effect arrow flight and accuracy only?
I have no quantitative answer, but I would think that if the arrow gets less stable from rotation, either the fletchings do more work, reducing energy as drag slows the arrow or it enters at a suboptimal angle losing energy because the momentum of the arrow isn't all stacked up nicely behind the point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

What?

Fortunately I use a left helical so the broadhead can spin loose and do what it will do on impact.

To me it's physics, reaction until an equal an opposite reaction. If you are worried about it shoot single bevel with bevel in your favor. I dont worry about it.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
What?

Fortunately I use a left helical so the broadhead can spin loose and do what it will do on impact.

To me it's physics, reaction until an equal an opposite reaction. If you are worried about it shoot single bevel with bevel in your favor. I dont worry about it.

Huh? The potential loss of energy in question would occur long before the impact.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Not if if I determine arrow rotation before fletching.

I think it amounts to .0135 joules. But I feel better about my tune knowing it's where the arrow wants to go.

I fletch mine to the natural rotation(left), as well. I’ve noticed that with right offset, my arrow still wants to go left, at least, at a distance of 5 feet. I didn’t check it any farther.

How much does that energy translate into lost velocity down range?

I fletch mine to the natural rotation(left), as well. I’ve noticed that with right offset, my arrow still wants to go left, at least, at a distance of 5 feet. I didn’t check it any farther.

How much does that energy translate into lost velocity down range?

Lost velocity??

Not much.

To be honest I only do it for Tuning rather than energy. And I doubt its worth it for that.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ll probably check it one day out of curiosity.

With all the intense tuning that folks do, I figured somebody would have checked it out by now.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Guess I'll never know how much better I could shoot by striping, clocking and refletching 2 dozen arrows. As much as I like to tinker it doesn't seem worth it. I feel keeping your arrows the same weight within 3 grains of each other is more beneficial then clocking rotation. Yes I built 2 dozen arrows within 3 grains over all the arrows. Had I thought of it first I probably would have though. Im flectched right and I'm sure since I shoot right handed my arrows clock left. Maybe next time.

Guess I'll never know how much better I could shoot by striping, clocking and refletching 2 dozen arrows. As much as I like to tinker it doesn't seem worth it. I feel keeping your arrows the same weight within 3 grains of each other is more beneficial then clocking rotation. Yes I built 2 dozen arrows within 3 grains over all the arrows. Had I thought of it first I probably would have though. Im flectched right and I'm sure since I shoot right handed my arrows clock left. Maybe next time.

3 grains? Holy crap. I shoot with guys that build and match components to within .5 grain. I'm surprised you can kill animal with that discrepancy.

@

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR

From what I’ve seen, it has more to do with the hand dominance of the string builder.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
@N2TRKYS

Honestly I'm being sarcastic. Good on you for trying to figure this out, I just think you need to come out the worm hole for some fresh air.

Nah, I’m just curious now. I’ve never been into the super tune stuff. I’ve always had great accuracy with built to order, prefletched arrows.

Building arrows seems alot like reloading rifle rounds. Folks get carried away and do way more stuff than they need to. Lol

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
From what I’ve seen, it has more to do with the hand dominance of the string builder.

Ive always been under the impression its which way the string is twisted. Maybe we are saying the same thing. Maybe I should have said all my strings and cables are twisted clockwise so they should spin all the arrows naturally counter clockwise so I have heard.

Brendan

WKR
I'll take a shot at this. Let's see if morning coffee's working...

You put a fixed amount of energy into the arrow. That depends on your draw length, draw weight, cam profile - effectively your draw force curve, and the overall efficiency of your system (arrow plays into that too).

When the arrow leaves the string, you will begin to lose energy to friction and drag, and you will also transfer some energy from forward motion into rotation. As rotation slows, it's as you're dissipating energy via drag and friction and the overall arrow is slowing.

Remember: Energy is conserved. You put energy into the arrow with the bow, and then it is distributed into rotational and forward motion, and then transferred into the air and eventually your target.

So, to answer your original question, a loss in rotational energy (i.e. as the arrow slows down down range) does affect the total energy of the system. But, if you initially transfer less energy to rotation, that energy instead would be maintained as a (slightly) faster forward speed.