Arrow Saw

Thinking about buying this as an arrow saw. Looking to do carbons, it says metal, plastic and wood. I would think it should work ok for carbons, then use arrow squaring tool. What do you think? Last rokcast mentioned something like this, not sure if it was the same one.
Harbor Freight Cut Off Saw

jmez

WKR
You need a squaring device if you get one. I had one and ruined a lot of arrows with it. Cheap saw and cheaply made. The blade on mine did not spin true and would not make a straight cut.

OP
C
You need a squaring device if you get one. I had one and ruined a lot of arrows with it. Cheap saw and cheaply made. The blade on mine did not spin true and would not make a straight cut.
Worthwhile with a squaring tool, or just pay the $6 and have them cut? Closest shop is an hour away, so not real convenient to go get 1/8 cut off.

I used that cut off tool to make my own saw. The wheel it comes with will destroy your carbon so you’ll at minimum need to buy high speed wheels designed for carbon.

Attachments

• 54EEBC16-4C8B-46D1-A1CE-05FC7522A926.jpeg
    54EEBC16-4C8B-46D1-A1CE-05FC7522A926.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 62
  • E55A378A-AB04-406E-B3D1-C1F909DA6BAE.jpeg
    E55A378A-AB04-406E-B3D1-C1F909DA6BAE.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 513309F1-B8FD-4EBD-B29B-CBF4B2E94AED.jpeg
    513309F1-B8FD-4EBD-B29B-CBF4B2E94AED.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 62

Squirrels

WKR
Here is a link to one a made

Cslaton6

FNG
Thinking about buying this as an arrow saw. Looking to do carbons, it says metal, plastic and wood. I would think it should work ok for carbons, then use arrow squaring tool. What do you think? Last rokcast mentioned something like this, not sure if it was the same one.
Dremel works for me. I bought the attachment off Amazon to make a level cut at the arrow end and has multiple adopters. I’ve made over 50 arrows that way and shoots straight.

Carbon Express Arrow Squaring Tool - Precision Bow Tuning, Black​

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Instead of the cut off saw, get a Dremel type rotary tool with the fine blades. Then you can either build a jig for cutting the arrows or just clamp it to a workbench every time you need to use it. I've cut at least 10 dozen arrows with mine without any issues at all, then I square up both ends.

I’d say save another $100 and buy an arrow saw. Or if you just don’t want to do that get them cut by a shop.

Arrows can be finicky if they aren’t cut correctly. If multiple failed arrow builds and plenty of DIY disasters have taught me anything, it’s that you’re better off just getting the right tool to start with

I’d say save another $100 and buy an arrow saw. Or if you just don’t want to do that get them cut by a shop.

Arrows can be finicky if they aren’t cut correctly. If multiple failed arrow builds and plenty of DIY disasters have taught me anything, it’s that you’re better off just getting the right tool to start with

This is what's known as wisdom.

Rob5589

WKR
I use all kinds of HF stuff but, I consider most of it disposable, which most ends up. I'd go the Dremel route before that saw. I bought a Westin 8k saw some years back for some crazy cheap price. Makes super clean cuts and the ends need almost no squaring. That and the vacuum attachment keeps carbon dust (very hazardous) out of my lungs and garage. Keep tabs on Archerytalk as they come up for sale here and there.

I generally work off of the "frugal wisdom" doctrine. Things still have to work perfectly and efficiently, it just costs me a lot less to get there. ;)

I agree. Hell I farm and most of the time I need to use everything with a dual purpose, neither being exactly what they were originally designed for.

For me once I finally got a used quality arrow saw I wouldn't go back. But I also never did spend the $150 for one. I'm still a cheap bastard.

PAhntr91

WKR
I used that cut off tool to make my own saw. The wheel it comes with will destroy your carbon so you’ll at minimum need to buy high speed wheels designed for carbon.
I made a similar set up with that saw. I work in a body shop just switched it out for one of our cut off wheels. Would recommend using a squaring device. Especially cause I’m anal. But had worked well for me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For me once I finally got a used quality arrow saw I wouldn't go back. But I also never did spend the $150 for one. I'm still a cheap bastard.
Ya, if I had one sitting here I'd use it. But I've used a few different models in shops and my Dremel setup cuts just as well and takes up no space.

I made one with that saw. It’s doable but messy. A lot of squaring needs be done afterwards

I made one using a dremel mounted to a board in 2012. Can’t tell you how many dozen arrows I’ve cut, but it’s ALOT. I used a skill saw plywood clamp/guide as my adjustment track. Still works really well and with the guide holding the back end in place it doesn’t matter if my cut is perfect because I spin it and the blade evens it out. I still square all cuts.
this year I got a Weston for my birthday which is really nice but still does the same thing in the end