Arrow selection help

I'm having a hard time deciding on a couple arrows. One is the easton 6.5 match carbon shaft, the other is the easton axis carbon shaft. Nervous of the axis insert because it doesn't have a collar, so how will impacts be? I know it's the 5mm so a little smaller diameter than the other. Any experience with either would be appreciated. I want either in the match grade. Mostly for deer and targets, but hoping for a moose one day..

Holocene

WKR
Either will be fine for deer, targets, and moose.

What is your ideal arrow setup? Light and fast? Heavy and slow? Somewhere in between?

Besides component systems, the biggest real difference between these two shafts for hunting purposes is weight. The Axis will be about 1 GPI heavier than the 6.5 Matrix (or an equivalent good quality .246 arrow).

For similar setups, you can generally expect 10 fps faster speeds out of the bow from a 6.5mm arrow compared to the heavier Axis. What doesn't get talked about much is that downrange the heavier Axis will be retain speed an energy better and be about equal at 60 with more retained energy.

So, if all my shots were 20-30 yards from a tree stand, I would shoot the light, fast 6.5mm since it will drop less over my typical shot distance than the Axis. But, if I was going to shoot elk or moose at any distance, then the heavier Axis carries energy a little more efficiently better and the difference in drop starts to be negligible at distance. Also, heavier arrow will be a touch quieter.

Of course, end of day shoot whichever tunes and shoots best for you!

OP
T
I'm not sure why, but I decided an bought gold tip hunter pros. They are good except the nocks are junk, so preserved different ones. I still wonder about the axis though lol

philcox

WKR
The Bass Pro/Cabelas Blackout arrows are Gold Tip Hunters with the Blackout label. The way I go through arrows, getting GT HP quality and < XT prices is a definite win.

Checkmate

FNG
I have had good luck with axis in the past. went to victory arrows and haven't shot through them yet. Not sure what I will end up with next, but likely will stay with the victory line.