Arrow selection Q?

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone! Alright this question is for all the people who pull higher poundage bows. I’m currently pulling around 78lbs with my z7. 29.5” draw which will put my arrows around 28”. I’ve been shooting FMJ’s for years and they’ve never done me wrong. So I’m going to stick to them.

I was wondering if a 300 or 250 spine (dangerous game) would be best. I know each bow prefers different arrow spines but I was thinking about trying to get one of each arrows and do my set up and determine my F.O.C. determining to add weight to the front like the 75/50 grain brass HIT inserts and so forth. Just to compare arrow flight between the 300 and 250.

What does everyone think? Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

FYI set up is

100 grain BH upfront
50/75 grain brass HIT insert
4 fletched vane configuration With 2” blazers
5 inch wrap
Nocturnal x nocks

I’m very precise when it comes to building arrows so everything down to the wraps will be weighed before I put them on my arrows.

I’d lean towards the 250 spine with a heavier poundage bow and longer arrows. Especially with 150 plus grains up front. It’s typically better to be on the stiffer side than not. I shoot 260 spine Hexx’s with my 70 pound set up and 200 grains up front. They fly great.

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I’d lean towards the 250 spine with a heavier poundage bow and longer arrows. Especially with 150 plus grains up front. It’s typically better to be on the stiffer side than not. I shoot 260 spine Hexx’s with my 70 pound set up and 200 grains up front. They fly great.
I’ve heard that having a stiffer spine is better than that of a lacking one. I think you’re right on!

dang 260 out of a 70lb! I was using 340s with my 70lb limbs. But I appreciate your response! Definitely leaning towards the 250s!

dkime

WKR
250, I shoot Day Six 250s with the 100gr collar and 125 heads out of my higher poundage (80) setups but I run my arrows fairly short. For hunting there is no harm in being overspined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
250 at least. I think there are only a few manufacturers that make them slightly stiffer.

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
250, I shoot Day Six 250s with the 100gr collar and 125 heads out of my higher poundage (80) setups but I run my arrows fairly short. For hunting there is no harm in being overspined

Awesome!!! Do you calculate your FOC?

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
4 Blazers is overkill IMO. Why not use the mini Blazers in a 4 fletch instead?
That’s pretty crazy because today on my breaks at work I was researching vanes. I really don’t want to mess with any clearance issues and yes I read that regular 2” blazers are overkill and may produce a parachute effect. Give me your opinion on this...I was thinking about doing a 4 fletch with the low profile Bohning heat vanes? Any experience with them?

dkime

WKR
Heat vanes are good, 4 fletch is a bit overkill with most vanes. It’s honestly more of an aesthetic thing unless you’re looking at using a vane not designed for hunting. 4 fletch AAE Hybrid 26 is what I run, they come preprimed so very little prep and you can pull the gates off hell with them when they’re stuck

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Heat vanes are good, 4 fletch is a bit overkill with most vanes. It’s honestly more of an aesthetic thing unless you’re looking at using a vane not designed for hunting. 4 fletch AAE Hybrid 26 is what I run, they come preprimed so very little prep and you can pull the gates off hell with them when they’re stuck

I would agree with the aesthetic look. Plus the 4 fletch will add a few grains to the back end. I’ll look up the AAE’s! How are you bonding your vanes? And are you running wraps?

dkime

WKR
I do both, they stick equally as well to either sort of situation.

dkime

WKR
Anymore I do a pretty aggressive RH helical on everything hunting wise. The 1-2fps speed loss is within the STD Deviation of a bows performance anyways so I prefer whatever perceived benefit it provides

I went through this same thing last year. I ended up going with the stiffer spine (Victory RIP TKO 250) and the AAE Hybrid 26. I went with the SS inserts and a 125 gr point. I fletched both 3 and 4 with a right helical. After a month of shooting both I ended up going 4 fletch. They just grouped better for me at the pro shop, in the field, wind or not. I'm happy that I went with the stiffer spine and the 4 fletch. I shoot these arrows better than any others I have tried. If $ isn't a concern I would suggest trying both spines and both fletching configurations on each spine though and see what you and your bow like best.

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Anymore I do a pretty aggressive RH helical on everything hunting wise. The 1-2fps speed loss is within the STD Deviation of a bows performance anyways so I prefer whatever perceived benefit it provides

Hey I appreciate the help!!!

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I went through this same thing last year. I ended up going with the stiffer spine (Victory RIP TKO 250) and the AAE Hybrid 26. I went with the SS inserts and a 125 gr point. I fletched both 3 and 4 with a right helical. After a month of shooting both I ended up going 4 fletch. They just grouped better for me at the pro shop, in the field, wind or not. I'm happy that I went with the stiffer spine and the 4 fletch. I shoot these arrows better than any others I have tried. If $ isn't a concern I would suggest trying both spines and both fletching configurations on each spine though and see what you and your bow like best.
I appreciate your input! I did a 4 fletch on some 340 fmj’s through my bow when I had my old 70lb limbs. I think even that spine was a little too weak for it. I see why everyone is suggesting a 250 to be on the safe side.

I did mention earlier about buying a few of each a 300 and 250 fmj’s and see what flys best. I’ll probably just buy a dozen 250s (I think I’ll love them!) and one or two 300’s just for comparison. Maybe I’ll post something about the comparison of each!

Sorry to butt in but what is the harm of overspining in general? I am a bit of an archery dunce so honest question.

Like the OP I am changing up my arrows. After a bit of experimenting I am settling in on an axis with a 50 grain insert and 125 Grain head. My arrows are a touch longer but all other specs are similar to the OP. 75# bow. Longer draw.

I have narrowed it down to 300 or 260 spine in the 5mm axis.