Arrow selection Q?

My last set was 5mm Axis, current set is 5mm FMJ, both in 300. I draw 30”, and only shot a 70# bow, but am learning that they were a little underspined. The Axis had the 75gr HIT, the FMJs had 50gr hit, both with 100gr points. Fixed blades would always hit right of field points, and I would have to adjust my rest, which was not ideal.

I think you’ll want to go heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to butt in but what is the harm of overspining in general? I am a bit of an archery dunce so honest question.

Like the OP I am changing up my arrows. After a bit of experimenting I am settling in on an axis with a 50 grain insert and 125 Grain head. My arrows are a touch longer but all other specs are similar to the OP. 75# bow. Longer draw.

I have narrowed it down to 300 or 260 spine in the 5mm axis.
Soooo if you put too much offset/helical on your vanes you can over spin your arrow mostly at longer ranges. IMO short distance shots out to about 40-50 yards you can have a pretty aggressive offset/helical without a noticeable reaction to the arrow. Arrows with too much helical/offset past about 50 will start what in the archery world is called parachuting. It’s where the back half of the arrow (your fletchings end) will try to spin the arrow faster and faster the more distance you put on it (more air displacement by the vanes) while the front half of your arrow tries to catch up it creates a wobble effect known as parachuting. Remember arrows are not perfectly straight. Mostly lighter arrows with a big degree of offset/helical will cause it to parachute at longer ranges. Most people that I know do a 1-3 degree offset. I hope that made sense?!

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
My last set was 5mm Axis, current set is 5mm FMJ, both in 300. I draw 30”, and only shot a 70# bow, but am learning that they were a little underspined. The Axis had the 75gr HIT, the FMJs had 50gr hit, both with 100gr points. Fixed blades would always hit right of field points, and I would have to adjust my rest, which was not ideal.

I think you’ll want to go heavier.

ill stick with what everyone is saying including you, going heavy! Did you fletch your own arrows or have someone do them for you?

if you did do them yourself what would you say your degree of offset is/was unless you did just a straight fletch? I’m probably going to go around 2 degrees.

dkime

WKR
Sorry to butt in but what is the harm of overspining in general? I am a bit of an archery dunce so honest question.

Like the OP I am changing up my arrows. After a bit of experimenting I am settling in on an axis with a 50 grain insert and 125 Grain head. My arrows are a touch longer but all other specs are similar to the OP. 75# bow. Longer draw.

I have narrowed it down to 300 or 260 spine in the 5mm axis.

Too much spine in General is thought to open up your horizontal spread at distance, How much? Unless you’re shooting for score and you’re shouting extremely well at long distances then you most likely will never see a difference in a 250 vs 300

Being over spined is MUCH better for tuning than being under spined.

I‘ve never witnessed a negative effect of going with a stiffer arrow especially when considering a hunting arrow with broadheads other than a slightly heavier arrow.

Marble

WKR
ill stick with what everyone is saying including you, going heavy! Did you fletch your own arrows or have someone do them for you?

if you did do them yourself what would you say your degree of offset is/was unless you did just a straight fletch? I’m probably going to go around 2 degrees.

I do them myself. The reason is its cheaper in the long run when going through arrows for three shooters. Second, when I shoot a vane off an arrow or its otherwise damaged, I can set it aside and just fix a few arrows here and there. The bitzenberger is my favorite. Ita the straight clamp.

I have no idea how may degrees I shoot. There's enough to see the offset and not too much where it comes off the arrow while fletching.

I also use wraps. Its easier to remove a wrap from an arrow than a glued on set of vanes. They just boil off and I clean them and go.

Too much spine in General is thought to open up your horizontal spread at distance, How much? Unless you’re shooting for score and you’re shouting extremely well at long distances then you most likely will never see a difference in a 250 vs 300

Perfect. Thanks

stonewall

WKR
It’s been answered but I’d go 250 as well

For those familiar what’s the difference between the aae max stealth and AAE Hybrid 26? I switched from blazers to max stealth few years ago and haven’t looked at anything else since

I fletched them myself. AAE max stealth, not much offset, maybe 1-2 degrees.

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I do them myself. The reason is its cheaper in the long run when going through arrows for three shooters. Second, when I shoot a vane off an arrow or its otherwise damaged, I can set it aside and just fix a few arrows here and there. The bitzenberger is my favorite. Ita the straight clamp.

I have no idea how may degrees I shoot. There's enough to see the offset and not too much where it comes off the arrow while fletching.

I also use wraps. Its easier to remove a wrap from an arrow than a glued on set of vanes. They just boil off and I clean them and go.
I also have been doing my own fletching for years now. And that’s what I do is boil my wraps off and scrape them with a tool. I’m sure you’ve heard of them but I do enjoy Onestringer when it comes to wraps.