Arrow Selection

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Roksliders, I need some opinions, please. I'll try to make this short. I like Black Eagle arrows. I have about 2 dozen Deep Impacts and one dozen Rampages and I don't know which one I should set up for elk and whitetail. Here's the details...
All are 300 spine and have the BE FOCOS up front. All speeds are through a chrono.

Deep Impact
515g TAW 180g up front (80g FOCOS and 100g fp) is 275fps.
540g TAW by changing to 125g fp and speed drops to 269fps.

Rampage
480 TAW 200g up front (100g FOCOS and 100g fp) is 283fps.
505 TAW by changing to 125g fp and speed drops to 277fps.

Right now I have a set (3) of Iron Will 100g vented and I know I'm going to have to buy another set. I was thinking about going with the solids in either 100g or 125g. It will cost me $100 for another set of the 100g vented or $200 for half a dozen solids. As much overtime as I've worked this year the extra $100 isn't too big a deal.

I'm probably overthinking this! Lol

Thanks,
Ryan

big44a4

WKR
Either with work. I haven’t looked at them but if I remember the deep impact should have a thicker wall which could mean better durability. Assuming you have both to try what shoots better for you?

This year alone I’ve shot outlaws, renegades, rampages, and x impacts. Not in that order and put animals down with 3 of them. Can’t speak for deep impacts but they are just a heavier GPI X-impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_Eightch

WKR
I have the same problem. I've got 2 different rampage built as well as a lighter deep impact setup.

Find a trajectory you can live with and if one of those setups seems to fly better out of your bow stick with that one.

I can't help but mess with arrows.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Either with work. I haven’t looked at them but if I remember the deep impact should have a thicker wall which could mean better durability. Assuming you have both to try what shoots better for you?

This year alone I’ve shot outlaws, renegades, rampages, and x impacts. Not in that order and put animals down with 3 of them. Can’t speak for deep impacts but they are just a heavier GPI X-impact.

Yes, they are heavy. 11gpi in 300 spine. It’s one of those “lesson learned“ situations. If I’d have known, I would’ve gone with the x-impact or stuck with Rampages and gone with a heavier point weight to get my speed around 275-280.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same problem. I've got 2 different rampage built as well as a lighter deep impact setup.

Find a trajectory you can live with and if one of those setups seems to fly better out of your bow stick with that one.

I can't help but mess with arrows.
Yeah but messing with arrows gets expensive real quick! Lol

I’d shoot them all and go with whatever groups and tunes the best. Any of them is more than enough to kill any animal in North America. And most any animal in the world for that matter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All of them have decent speed, so as said above......use whichever one shoots the best. Any reason why you think you need another set of IW's?

All good choices, I like to set up 2 or 3 arrows of a few different configurations and see what tunes out the best. I think the lighter rampages will pass through an elk or whitetail with an IW broadhead and also give you the flattest trajectory and best range forgiveness. If you range that tree he’s going to pass buy and get to full draw and it’s 5 yards different, the slower arrow may miss or hit outside of the vitals, a little faster would still hit. This is where my head is at after building a bunch of different arrows over the past 2-3 yrs.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
All of them have decent speed, so as said above......use whichever one shoots the best. Any reason why you think you need another set of IW's?
Because I'm not sure it's a good idea to go on a back country elk hunt with only 3 broadheads. I guess my main concern is putting 125 up front on an already heavy Deep Impact and then it being too slow. Or running 100g on the Rampage and with being over 280 fps, have trouble tuning it. I'm going to do what was suggested, build them all and see how each one flies with 100g up front and 125g up front.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider

Yes sir, I do have both. I'm going to build all of them see how each flies with 100g and 125g.

OP
vectordawg

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
All good choices, I like to set up 2 or 3 arrows of a few different configurations and see what tunes out the best. I think the lighter rampages will pass through an elk or whitetail with an IW broadhead and also give you the flattest trajectory and best range forgiveness. If you range that tree he’s going to pass buy and get to full draw and it’s 5 yards different, the slower arrow may miss or hit outside of the vitals, a little faster would still hit. This is where my head is at after building a bunch of different arrows over the past 2-3 yrs.
My only concern about the faster arrow is getting it to tune. I've heard that over 280fps it gets challenging to get a fixed blade to tune. And I ain't that good!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My only concern about the faster arrow is getting it to tune. I've heard that over 280fps it gets challenging to get a fixed blade to tune. And I ain't that good!
As long as you have enough vane on the back end and your form is consistent, then tuning shouldn't be an issue regardless of speed. I've BH tuned to my 520gr arrows, and still had much lighter arrows (weight and spine) doing 330fps shoot BH's well even to that same tune. IW's are pretty compact BH's, I wouldn't worry about tuning issues with them at all.