Arrow Setup for Short DL

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, only been in the archery game for a year now. Looking to upgrade my hunting arrow setup for mule deer this year. My actual draw lenth is only 26 inches so I am limited to light weight arrows. Currently shooting:

Gold Tip Hunter XT's 340's
26.5 inches carbon to carbon
125 grain tip, standard insert and nock
3 AAE Max stealth vanes
Total arrow weight is 416 grains shooting 276-278 FPS out of a 70 lb Mathews Vertix.

I am looking into shooting a .204 diameter arrow to help minimize wind drift at longer ranges while maintaining similar speeds. Therefore Easton Axis are out of the question as I believe they'll come in either too heavy or with not enough FOC. Considering Black Eagle Rampage. My question is what spine, as my setup is right in between 350 and 300 on their spine chart? Thinking the setup would be:

26.5-27 inches carbon to carbon (only considering the longer length to put the broadhead out past my riser)
100 grain tip
Iron Will Collar 10 grains or 25 grains (depends on which spine)
Iron Will 25 grain insert
AAE Max Stealth Vanes (3 or 4 depending on arrow flight)
Undecided on nock as the reviews seem bad on BE's nocks (Nockturnals would be ideal but may be too heavy)

Any recommendations on this or a better setup with similar weight? Rip TKO's? I'd prefer to stay away from micro diameter arrows as they seem way too complicated for me. Still new to this so any help is greatly appreciated!

Zac

WKR
Yeah I think you'll be happy with that setup. You could also use the Focus system, but IW is pretty bombproof. Everyone on here is gonna tell you to go with the stiffer spine. For nocks I'd either run Firenocks, or Beiter Hunters. AAE also makes a good nock. You probably want a good COC head as well. IW, Day 6, or Kudu would all work just fine.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I think you'll be happy with that setup. You could also use the Focus system, but IW is pretty bombproof. Everyone on here is gonna tell you to go with the stiffer spine. For nocks I'd either run Firenocks, or Beiter Hunters. AAE also makes a good nock. You probably want a good COC head as well. IW, Day 6, or Kudu would all work just fine.
Seems like everyone here loves IW collars and inserts for small diameter arrows. They seem really expensive and complex to me, However majority of people seem to be concerned about arrow/outsert durability of these lightweight arrows. I'll take a look at the Focus system and nocks. Thanks!

dkime

WKR
My girlfriend shoots at 27/60 and runs a Day Six 400 with 100gr outsert and Day Six head. It finishes around 465gr and it doesn't even think about slowing down on game. Multiple pass throughs on shoulder blade hits and a heck of a quiet bow at that length. Your setup with the increased poundage would be very similar. Her setup has really open my eyes to what heavier setups can do for shorter draw setups.

KyleR1985

WKR
Whatever 300 spine carbon arrow you like, ethics archery 100gr ss half outs, 125 COC broadhead of your choosing. Simple, cheap, easy to acquire, build, and tune. Should come in around 475 finished weight. Can drop to 100gr. Broadhead if the 10fps speed pickup matters to you.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I wouldn't use your criteria......

You say you need a light arrow. A heavier arrow will absorb more of your bows energy...which is a little more important with a short DL. Sure, if you use a very efficient BH....its less of an issue.

I've shot the skinny shafts for years...no big advantages with multiple disadvantages.

______

My actual draw lenth is only 26 inches so I am limited to light weight arrows.
There's no reason you can't shoot heavy arrows with a 26" draw length. In fact, I would err to the heavy side at shorter DL's because you're starting at a disadvantage energy-wise (compared to longer DL's) and may need extra arrow weight to get satisfactory penetration. The downside to heavier arrows is that their trajectory isn't as flat, but that's true regardless of DL. Like most decisions in archery, weight vs. speed is a trade-off, but there's no need to artificially limit yourself to "light" arrows just because you have a short DL.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the feedback! I am definitely open to shooting a heavier arrow for better penetration. The bow just shoots great for me around 265-275 FPS so I figured I should stay in that range. It will also be open land sage hunting so the shots may be further out without the chance to range so I'm thinking the flatter trajectory would help a little. However, I'm open to suggestions. Anyone have any particular setups they like? Definitely willing to continure shooting .246 diameter arrows as well. Just not micro's as I don't have a pro shop nearby so I'd prefer more durable and simple systems unless someone knows of a bombproof one.

Jimbob

WKR
Arrow length is a great variable to use to get the spine correct. I think you handcuff yourself when you predetermine length. I see it as a non-issue having the arrow tip the riser. I get its your choice though, just might want to reconsider.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
Arrow length is a great variable to use to get the spine correct. I think you handcuff yourself when you predetermine length. I see it as a non-issue having the arrow tip the riser. I get its your choice though, just might want to reconsider.
Curious, what's your opinion on length? Start as long as possible and trim until you find spine stiffness you are comfortable with? 26.5 inches is just what my nearest pro shop would cut my prior arrows to. Last year I shot QAD Exodus broadheads which put them really far into my riser. I was just thinking it would be safer to cut 1/2 inch longer but would like to hear how you'd go about it

Jimbob

WKR
I use a software program and play with all the variables to get an arrow that matches my spine and has the specs i want.

I highly recommend the software when building arrows

https://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/index.html you can play with a free trial version

also, the q spine app for a phone is more affordable and works ok

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 27in DL and shooting 70lbs. Here are stats of what I have decided on after about a year of testing different arrow set ups. I know you said you don’t like the axis, what FOC are you looking to get to?

Attachments

• CEA785C3-C053-4BEA-9CEF-00690351CA70.png
    CEA785C3-C053-4BEA-9CEF-00690351CA70.png
    592.4 KB · Views: 48
OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 27in DL and shooting 70lbs. Here are stats of what I have decided on after about a year of testing different arrow set ups. I know you said you don’t like the axis, what FOC are you looking to get to?
Easton Axis were actually my first choice. It just seemed like with the heavier GPI I'd have to shoot a +450gr arrow to get near 12% FOC. Last year I shot 268 FPS and my fletching would start graising my adjustable sight at 70 yards, so I'd prefer to not go too much lower in speed. In the end, I just figured a lighter GPI would let me experiment with more point weight so I could start messing with wraps, 4 fletch and or lighted nocks without sacrificing a ton of FOC or speed. But I am still new to this so I am open to all suggestions!

Beendare

WKR
Easton Axis were actually my first choice. It just seemed like with the heavier GPI I'd have to shoot a +450gr arrow to get near 12% FOC. Last year I shot 268 FPS and my fletching would start graising my adjustable sight at 70 yards, so I'd prefer to not go too much lower in speed. In the end, I just figured a lighter GPI would let me experiment with more point weight so I could start messing with wraps, 4 fletch and or lighted nocks without sacrificing a ton of FOC or speed. But I am still new to this so I am open to all suggestions!

Not to belabor the point but criteria is the key.

Numero uno you want perfect arrow flight.....so correct spine and not under spined.

Little extra arrow weight helps with low energy or short DL power strokes. Arrow weight quiets a bow- sometimes significantly.

An efficient COC BH improves any setup....and it really helps with low energy or short DL setups. All BH's work, but most other designs benefit from having more arrow weight behind them.

Skinny arrows are fine...just a lot more money and work. 5mm shafts are a good happy medium...but std 6mm arrow work just fine.

Tune your bow so you can use minimal fletching- this helps with trajectory on longer shots.

If you want more arrow speed, an arrow on the light side with an efficient BH works just fine, its only when that you pair it with an inefficient BH that you will see poor performance.

FOC is the most over rated factor in arrow selection. The real world difference between arrows that are 5 points of FOC apart- say 10% vs 15%- is not even measurable. Take a lesson from all the pros...they use the criteria above and don't shoot for a particular FOC number.

______

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like a good set up for deer. If you plan to go after anything larger I would up the weight. I like this online calculator to give you an idea of what types of animals set ups are good for.

The difference between the set up on the GT and the Axis is pretty small.

Attachments

• 285AF025-F1B7-40FB-8412-0FAA37D4A76F.png
    285AF025-F1B7-40FB-8412-0FAA37D4A76F.png
    595.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 81168D10-7E87-48BA-AC4B-D3564855A3CE.png
    81168D10-7E87-48BA-AC4B-D3564855A3CE.png
    596.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
Not to belabor the point but criteria is the key.

Numero uno you want perfect arrow flight.....so correct spine and not under spined.

Little extra arrow weight helps with low energy or short DL power strokes. Arrow weight quiets a bow- sometimes significantly.

An efficient COC BH improves any setup....and it really helps with low energy or short DL setups. All BH's work, but most other designs benefit from having more arrow weight behind them.

Skinny arrows are fine...just a lot more money and work. 5mm shafts are a good happy medium...but std 6mm arrow work just fine.

Tune your bow so you can use minimal fletching- this helps with trajectory on longer shots.

If you want more arrow speed, an arrow on the light side with an efficient BH works just fine, its only when that you pair it with an inefficient BH that you will see poor performance.

FOC is the most over rated factor in arrow selection. The real world difference between arrows that are 5 points of FOC apart- say 10% vs 15%- is not even measurable. Take a lesson from all the pros...they use the criteria above and don't shoot for a particular FOC number.

______
Spine is my biggest worry as I feel I am on the border between two spines for a lot of the arrows I've looked into. Probably play it safe and go with the stiffer of the two but I'll call the arrow company and get their opinion.

COC broadheads are all I've ever considered. Any specific ones you really like? Currently shooting QAD Exodus.

What's your favorite standard sized arrows? I wouldn't mind going this route if it meant simplifying things and possibly saving a few bucks.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
[/QUOTE]
The two bottom images are from the phone app? Is it pretty helpful with stuff like this? Or is the computer software the way to go? The computer version just seems a little steep in price for a novice like me.

Jimbob

WKR
The two bottom images are from the phone app? Is it pretty helpful with stuff like this? Or is the computer software the way to go? The computer version just seems a little steep in price for a novice like me.
[/QUOTE]

I find the computer software easier to use, or just quicker to play around with different variables. The phone app you are going back and forth between pages to change things. I found it was a steeper learning curve with the phone app.