Arrow setup

cdods

FNG
I’m looking for input on arrow setup, I’m definitely novice with archery. I know there may be many views on this, but would like other’s opinions. Im a 6’ guy but have t-Rex arms and my draw length is short. My previous arrows were 28” 5mm 340 spine FMJ 16gr inserts and was shooting 100 gr broadheads speed was ~260. I wanted to get a heavier setup so I stayed with 340 5mm FMJ cut at 27” 50gr insert and will go with a 125 out front. I’m worried that I’ve slowed down too much (will chrono just haven’t yet) what’s your thoughts on too slow despite weight gain? Obviously this may be 9mm vs 45 argument (which I understand more than this archery voodoo) I’m looking for real world experience on speed vs weight with special interest in elk.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only advantage to speed is minimizing yardage judging errors, and maybe shooting through small openings. Otherwise heavier weight has the advantage. There are trade-offs either way so pick a weight and speed that you're comfortable with and go with it.

Zew

FNG
Step one, ditch the FMJ's. Step two. Put your weight up front. Not throughout the arrow.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
I will reiterate what Zew mentioned. Light but stiff arrow shafts, add a fricken dumbbell worth of weight to the front via inserts, insert weights, and broad heads. one example is pick a very stiff (300 spine) GT velocity shaft, then put a HIT insert in it (50 gr) and add 50 gr insert weight then shoot a 150 gr broad head. Gets you to an arrow weight of ~535 grns with an FOC of ~18%. The only problem you would have is keeping a good target, you'll blow through a generic foam target after a bit.

And FYI, i am a GT guy so feel free to look at any brand you like, i just know the GT line well enough to explain the concept.

Reactions: Zew

Zew

FNG
Speed doesn't kill, the right broadhead on the right delivery system kills.

tsm213

FNG
I really like the fmjs. Been shooting them for years.
I don’t get hung up on numbers. If my broadheads are flying well the rest doesn’t matter. I’ve also found that I whole bunch of weight up front doesn’t necessarily guarantee perfect flight.
You pretty much have to experiment with a few different arrow setups and find out what works best for your style of hunting. There is going to be a thousand different opinions on this lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
I’m looking for input on arrow setup, I’m definitely novice with archery. I know there may be many views on this, but would like other’s opinions. Im a 6’ guy but have t-Rex arms and my draw length is short. My previous arrows were 28” 5mm 340 spine FMJ 16gr inserts and was shooting 100 gr broadheads speed was ~260. I wanted to get a heavier setup so I stayed with 340 5mm FMJ cut at 27” 50gr insert and will go with a 125 out front. I’m worried that I’ve slowed down too much (will chrono just haven’t yet) what’s your thoughts on too slow despite weight gain? Obviously this may be 9mm vs 45 argument (which I understand more than this archery voodoo) I’m looking for real world experience on speed vs weight with special interest in elk.

It's defiantly a balance, for me, I like to shoot on the faster side, for fixed heads I have found that they fly the best at 285fps or slower. For mechanicals, I haven't noticed a point where they don't fly great. I have killed bull elk with arrows from 330gr to 500gr and am still working on the perfect setup. My faster lighter setup used a smaller coc broadhead and even though I killed elk with it I didn't care for the blood trails. I was getting a pass through but the holes were both small, If I went with a bigger head my arrows wouldn't fly consistently as well at 315fps with fixed heads. I switched to 500gr arrows at 285fps with a large cut mechanical and am very happy with the results. Great flight and great blood trails with two huge holes.

I'm still blowing through elk so IMO I'm wasting a little energy in the dirt that I could gain back in speed if I lightened my arrow back up slightly. I also hunt where I have to use mechanicals so I want the speed to stay around 285fps or so. If I didn't have to worry about switching between mechanicals and fixed I would probably lighten my arrows up slightly, maybe do 50gr of brass instead of 75.

My current arrows are 5mm RIP TKO 250's, 75gr HIT's, 25gr IW collars and 100gr heads. My next arrow will most likely be a 5mm Axis Match with whatever insert gets me to the same weight as now, I think you give up some durability going with a high FOC arrow build like with the RIP. I'm right around 16-17% with my current setup, when I was shooting 390gr with 9% FOC my arrows still flew great and blew through elk.

I'm shooting 27.5" draw and 77lbs.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I will differ from a few people on here but most are right. First I really enjoy my fmj’s. I’ve been shooting them for over 5 years. Some people are saying don’t worry about speed and in a sense this is true. Where I differ is getting bear of both worlds. Speed, weight of the arrow, a well tuned bow, and proper arrow tuning to me all play a factor. Speed , The second law states that the acceleration of an object is dependent upon two variables - the net force acting upon the object and the mass of the object. basic physics law For the arrow, a good weight up front and a stiffer spine for the draw weight your shooting. What’s your draw weight at? A properly tuned bow and arrow will lessen the variable of a awkward shooting arrow. I like to bare shaft tune (bare shaft and fletched) then French modify. It may be overkill but I wanna know and be reassured my gear will put down that animal fast and humanely as possible that I draw back on. Practice practice practice!

Acpinn

WKR
Arrow weight trumps arrow speed. I have an older bow so my speed isn't good(mid 240's), but the increased weight made bow quieter, groups as good if not better, and has much better stopping power. You could switch out the fmj's to save some shaft weight if you're super concerned about your speed dropping. Increasing my arrow weight from low 400's to ~490 has just given piece of mind that I'll pass through any whitetail I hit.

Zew

FNG
This video has nothing to do with speed or broadhead selection. But it's a little info from a guy that uses a dog to track wounded game for those that are unfortunate enough not to make their own recovery.

But, it testifies to having a heavier arrow to get a pass through on your shot.