Arrow, Spine, Broadhead Weight Setup.

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
I just had new strings installed on my Mathews Halon 32. It is a 70 lb bow with DL of 29.5. I am headed back to CO for another elk hunt this fall.

The new strings have bumped the measured weight to 74.5 lbs.

I just received another dozen new Easton FMJ 330 4mm injexion arrows. (11gpi)

They are set up with the 50 grain easton outsert up front and i am running a 100 grain head for a total arrow weight of +-495 grains.

My concern is that now that I have added weight to the pull that I will not have enough spine in the arrow. I was also contemplating 125 grain heads to get a little more FOC and weight to the arrow for penetration.

I know there are some very smart and experienced guys on here. Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

Trial153

WKR
First things.....shoot it however you usually tune, paper, bare shaft ect ect ...if it workable then use it. If it shows a weak spine reaction. Take a turn out of each limb bolt and call it a day.

Rob5589

WKR
Shoot it and see if it tunes. If not, you can take some draw weight out it. For me, I would have been shooting a .300 @ 70 lbs draw wt.

Are you sure the new strings/cable are set at factory specs? Measurements? That’s a bit of a jump in draw weight.

As said if it won’t tune drop poundage or lower your FOC expectations and just use a standard insert and 100 gr tip

Far from an expert but my bow has similar specs. I posted a thread here about arrow selection and based on that and some other input I did a pepsi challenge with 5 flavors of arrows. My rig seems to be liking and lower spine.

Currently zeroing in on a 5mm injection with a 50gr insert, 25 gr collar and 100 gr broadhead. Still testing 300 and 260 spine to see what shoots best.

OP
section8mainiac

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
This. I would bet you have a 29.5" bow that draws 30" or a touch more.

What was the draw weight before you changes the cabling?

I am somewhat of a geek when it comes to testing everything. This setup was 69.8 pbs when I bought it in 2018. It had dropped to about 67.9 before I just had it restrung last week by by archery shop.

It shot bullet holes in paper with the new strings when set at 70 lbs.

I have only had the opportunity to shoot it at about 8 yards so far. I did crank it up to see if it shot any different and did not see a difference.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same DL as you and put on 75lb limbs just recently as well as new strings and cables. I’ll be pulling close to 80lbs if not a touch more. I went with the 250 dangerous game fmj’s. Most guys said it’s better to be over spined than under and I couldn’t agree more. Also if you don’t wanna change your arrows like mentioned above, back that draw weight out.

MattB

WKR
I am somewhat of a geek when it comes to testing everything. This setup was 69.8 pbs when I bought it in 2018. It had dropped to about 67.9 before I just had it restrung last week by by archery shop.

It shot bullet holes in paper with the new strings when set at 70 lbs.

I have only had the opportunity to shoot it at about 8 yards so far. I did crank it up to see if it shot any different and did not see a difference.

Since you are a geek, what was your draw length and is it?

OP
section8mainiac

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
The BH is still at 6” as it is barely touching the dampener. The ATA is currently 31 15/16. I am not sure what the factory spec for the Halon 32 is, but I assume 32” when looking at the chart below.

Is it plausible that the combination of the strings being slightly shorter and the being new strings stretching less and gained the 4-5 lbs?

f64590182c8e510a6fa420927ffe1db2.jpg
18c5f3a1da174c463f72ab3e79f2e17e.jpg

Thanks, Matt