Arrow spine or string change causing right tear

mtnkid85

WKR
Hey guys,

Im working on getting my setup all tuned in for this year, its a 70lb Realm X that I have set at 62.5lbs and a 29.5" draw length. I just changed out the strings and cables and I built up a new set of arrows as well.

After the string change I reset my rest to 13/16" and used the yokes to get the cams aligned with the laser alignment points on the axles.
I got it to paper tune pretty nicely, though it took ALOT of twists in the right yoke to clean up the right tear. Ive got almost no twists in the left and a lot in the right side, my cable stops are barely catching the cable. This is leading to a lot of cam lean in order to get a clean hole through paper. I also had to slide my rest to the left.

Im thinking my arrows are on the weak side, but I didn't think they where this weak. Pinwheel software shows them being in the yellow.

Arrow build is Easton Injexion 330 spine cut 28.5" carbon-carbon. Ethics 65gr in/outsert with a 125gr head. 4 fletch, short wrap and a lighted nock. ~516gr TAW.

So all Im wondering is if anyone can think of anything I might have accidentally done when I changed out the strings or if its just too weak of a arrow spine?

Thanks for any help
image.png

image.png

dkime

WKR
How does your DL feel in comparison to your old strings? Have you adjusted your flex guard at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtnkid85

mtnkid85

WKR
I just went and measured the DL, it came out about 29.75 so its actually maybe a 1/4" long. I didn't notice a difference between my old strings and I didn't actually measure my DL previously.

I also looked at the flex guard, it was like ~6 turns out initially so I screwed down, then backed it out 2.5 turns. Which from what I could find is what its supposed to be at.

330 spine @ 62.5 lbs seems stiff to me. It could cause a right tear. I would put back in spec and shoot a less stiff arrow and see where that puts you.

OP
mtnkid85

mtnkid85

WKR
My previous arrow setup was a 280spine with 195gr front weight, I had it turned up to about 65lbs but I got it to shoot well, with less twists. I know those where stiff, so thats why I tried to go down to the 330s with 185gr of front weight.

dkime

WKR
See if you can check the amount of lean you have at full draw, I’m assuming you have access to a draw board? I’m not too concerned about your arrows, but throw a 100gr point in it quick to rule out spine conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me personally. I would pull strings and put them under tension, measure them for spec and try again with center shot @ 13/16.

The only thing you changed was the string and added or took out twists. Also changed center shot.

I doubt the arrow spine has much to do with it...

OP
mtnkid85

mtnkid85

WKR
So I reset every thing to factory specs. My ATA and BH where right on but my DL is about a 1/4" long and with the limbs bottomed out Im only measuring 68.5lbs.

So after resetting everything I had to add 5 twists to my right yokes and I took 1 out of the left yokes to get the cams aligned with the laser marks. Reset the rest to 13/16".

Shot a bare shaft through paper again and still getting a right tear.

It just seems like im needing to put an excessive amount of twists in my yokes to just get the initial cams set to their laser alignment spots. Doesn't it?

jmez

WKR
I wouldn't worry about an initial laser alignment set. Reset the yokes and shoot the bow and see where it is. Try tuning it based on initial arrow flight rather than a laser reading.

Put twists in your cables. You should be getting 70lbs +....Binary cams are easy to tune if you understand what does what. You will gain draw length when you add twists to cables, but you can shorten it by adding twists to string. Are you using a draw board? Are your cams in sync? It really sounds like your strings aren’t quite in spec. Your ATA can vary +- 1/8”. BH should be almost dead on. Bowtech has several videos on YouTube I believe. I’m sorry it’s being a PITA. What strings are they and did they spec out under tension? Worse case.. Throw your old strings back on, assuming you paper clipped them at the twists they had when it was shooting well. If she shoots, then your strings and cables aren’t in spec. Sorry for the long post

OP
mtnkid85

mtnkid85

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. Its not that its not shooting well, I was able to get it to tune, I just felt like I had an excessive amount of twists in my right yokes.

I have now gone ahead and twisted them till it shot well through paper and Ive now got it shooting broad heads out to 25yards. To get more string contact with my string stops I backed the flex guard out another turn. When I get a chance to shoot at a longer distance Ill keep going with my broadhead tune, which is close enough I should be able to make any small adjustments with my rest.

I think Im calling it good.