Arrow spine question?

Hey guys, was looking to see if someone could help.

I have a dozen Easton Axis Pro 5mm match grade arrows. I am currently shooting a 2005 Bowtech Allegiance @ 63 pounds. Arrow length is 28 inches, will be shooting 125 grain broadheads. I am looking to run the Valkyrie Archery centerline system. Approximately how heavy of a centerline system can I use before this shaft becomes too weak given the other parameters.

Thanks for any help

Zac

WKR
If your talking about the center pin system you can't run it at all with those arrows. You would have to change to a micro diameter. Brent recommends Victory due to their ability to support more weight up front than any other competitor.

nphunter

WKR
If your talking about the center pin system you can't run it at all with those arrows. You would have to change to a micro diameter. Brent recommends Victory due to their ability to support more weight up front than any other competitor.

They can all support the same amount of weight upfront, Victory arrows are just lighter so you end up with higher FOC using light shafts. I built a set of RIP TKO's last fall and the exact weight arrow this year in an Axis, with the Axis I can only run 60gr upfront total and I was running 100gr upfront with the Victory. The Axis is 13.5% FOC and the Victory is 17.5%, both fly the same and group very similar even though the victory are slightly lighter but about 10gr.

I haven't really decided which I prefer yet, I know the axis end up less expensive because I bought them and they came with the brass HIT's, the TKO's were more money upfront plus I had to add more onto the top for the inserts. The rips probably look cooler with the weave, I still broke one when I hit my bull last fall, I think any arrow would have done the same.

For the OP if it were me I would personally use something like the ethics SS collars to add weight. Kudu makes some screw-in inserts that go behind your point, these are 50gr and 75gr so technically with 100 and 125gr points you could shoot an arrow with everything from 25-100gr more upfront. Do this while shooting at long distances and see which group the best, before deciding on a final weight shoot a fixed broadhead and make sure you can get it to fly well with that weight.

High arrow weight helps more than High FOC for penetration. If you have a 475gr arrow with 20% FOC and a 500gr arrow with 8% FOC the 500gr arrow will have more momentum 100% of the time as long as both arrows are coming out of a well-tuned (for that arrow) bow. Spine charts are only good starting points, every cam is different, and different fletchings, insert lengths and the list goes on makes a difference, the best thing to do is and experimenting by shooting and messing around yourself.

OP
L
Sorry forgot to mention that they were 340 spine. Also will be running 3 2 inch blazer vanes with standard Easton nocks.

Zac

WKR
They can all support the same amount of weight upfront, Victory arrows are just lighter so you end up with higher FOC using light shafts. I built a set of RIP TKO's last fall and the exact weight arrow this year in an Axis, with the Axis I can only run 60gr upfront total and I was running 100gr upfront with the Victory. The Axis is 13.5% FOC and the Victory is 17.5%, both fly the same and group very similar even though the victory are slightly lighter but about 10gr.

I haven't really decided which I prefer yet, I know the axis end up less expensive because I bought them and they came with the brass HIT's, the TKO's were more money upfront plus I had to add more onto the top for the inserts. The rips probably look cooler with the weave, I still broke one when I hit my bull last fall, I think any arrow would have done the same.

For the OP if it were me I would personally use something like the ethics SS collars to add weight. Kudu makes some screw-in inserts that go behind your point, these are 50gr and 75gr so technically with 100 and 125gr points you could shoot an arrow with everything from 25-100gr more upfront. Do this while shooting at long distances and see which group the best, before deciding on a final weight shoot a fixed broadhead and make sure you can get it to fly well with that weight.

High arrow weight helps more than High FOC for penetration. If you have a 475gr arrow with 20% FOC and a 500gr arrow with 8% FOC the 500gr arrow will have more momentum 100% of the time as long as both arrows are coming out of a well-tuned (for that arrow) bow. Spine charts are only good starting points, every cam is different, and different fletchings, insert lengths and the list goes on makes a difference, the best thing to do is and experimenting by shooting and messing around yourself.
If you talk to Brent from Valkyrie he will tell you that you can run one spine under other spines with the same amount of weight up front. This is why he made the change from BE. I've never tested that theory myself, but I recommend everyone does that based on his recommendation.

Zac

WKR
Sorry forgot to mention that they were 340 spine. Also will be running 3 2 inch blazer vanes with standard Easton nocks.
If you want to run anything from Valkyrie you may be able to get away with the 150 grain Blood Eagle. It would be comparable to a 50 grain Brass HIT with a 100 grain point.

2blade

WKR
[Sorry forgot to mention that they were 340 spine. Also will be running 3 2 inch blazer vanes with standard Easton nocks. /QUOTE]

you should be able to run a 150gr head on that shaft with a standard insert. I'd bare shaft it to be sure.

OP
L
Thank you everyone for the replies. Just getting started in arrow building so I very much appreciate the help.