Arrow suggestions

Ivanmania

FNG
Hi there,

Im new to archery as well as hunting. Right now im shooting at 35lbs (i will be trying to get up to 45-50 to hunt) and using 400 grain arrows with field tips on them to practice shooting with, but when i eventually get out hunting, im thinking of saving up and getting day six arrows. Im hoping to hunt deer. Is that the right move to make or is there something else out there that is more suitable? Thanks

Day Six makes good arrows (and by all means use them if that's what you want to do) but there are plenty of other good options at half or less the price if you're trying to be cost conscious. For budgeting purposes, I'd prioritize broadheads over arrow shafts. At lower draw weights, broadhead choice becomes increasingly critical to achieving good penetration. I'd recommend a 2-blade fixed head; Iron Will would be my top choice, but I've also heard good things about Magnus heads (haven't personally used them) as a more budget-friendly alternative.

I wouldn't get too hung up on a particular arrow weight at this point. 400 grains is fine as a starting point, but once you work up to your final draw weight, you might decide that more or less arrow weight is better for you. Arrow weight is a trade-off between penetration potential and trajectory: heavier arrows tend to penetrate better but drop faster, lighter arrows fly flatter but sacrifice some penetration potential.

Hi there,

Im new to archery as well as hunting. Right now im shooting at 35lbs (i will be trying to get up to 45-50 to hunt) and using 400 grain arrows with field tips on them to practice shooting with, but when i eventually get out hunting, im thinking of saving up and getting day six arrows. Im hoping to hunt deer. Is that the right move to make or is there something else out there that is more suitable? Thanks
I’m going to make an assumption that your arrows are 400 spine not grains. Is 400 the number on the side of the arrow? If your going to shoot 50 lbs try to have at least 7-8 grains of arrow weight per pound or draw weight. So at 50 lbs, a 400 grain arrow, would be great.

Zac

WKR
I wouldn't buy anything until you are at the poundage you intend to stick with. Do your research until you get there. Kifarucast just posted a great vid on the subject.

Easton Axis arrows are great, I’ve shot them for a while and have been very impressed. They are fast and hit hard, they also penetrate much deeper than normal diameter arrows.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
My.opinion on this avoid the premium broadheads/arrows while your starting off go to cabellas/Bass pro and buy slick truck /ram cats,, exodus, etc broadheads. These Broadhead all fly amazingly well and have taken a lot of big game. I fell unto the premium trap and I've been extremely disappointed in the majority of them for what you are paying for them, and honestly do not think any of them are worth it.

As for arrow shafts, tough call lots of good choices. Your choice of day six is a great arrow with fantastic components and tough, probably the toughest arrow on the market in normal peopleaffordabiltiy. .Easton axis are a great arrow as well, not as tough but you can make them tougher by adding brass inserts and a footer, but then your cost goes up almost higher or as high as the day six and your sourcing from various spots. Victory, well I've had mixed results with their shafts and everyone's mileage seems to vary with hem.from my research. Honestly, I'd again go to cabela's/basspro and buy their inhouse arrows (usually goldtip makes them or victory) and call it a day until you get better at shooting, because you won't notice the non match grade quality until you start shooting long distances. And trust me a 30-49.dollar arrow hurts to lose/break compared to a 10 dollar one.

Also don't worry about your poundage, have fun and shoot, make games, out up cards on a target and try to play poker/etc with yourself. Make it interesting so you focus on what your aiming at. Before you know it your draw weight will go up. also seek lessons or at the very minimum follow nock on on YouTube. Dudely provides a lot of valuable information in his schoolof nock classes.

Most importantly have fun and don't get sucked into the bs on the forums.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
I

Ivanmania

FNG
Totally. From the info I've received from my post, I've been able to figure out a little more in regards to what I need to do to get what I need. I agree on the broad heads for the time being because I am very new to archery and hunting. Im attracted to the cutthroat broad heads because they seem to be affordable enough and they have a lifetime warranty haha. Thanks for all the good advice

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I would definitely stay away from Ramcats. However your thoughts on arrows and broadheads are very good for someone at your draw weight. You are going to need all the momentum and arrow weight you can get. Also a cut on contact like the RMS head is a perfect combination for a low key setup. If you have the funds for this stuff I'd go for it. Just be sure to call Brian from Day 6 and tell him your exact setup so he can get you dialed in.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
The point being buy a head that is readabnly available to start and don't get caught up in the premium broadhead to start as you will ding them up, loose one/etc it happens to all of us when we started off. And yes shoot your broadheads and tune your bow so your field pts/hit close to your broadheads. If you've gone thru the steps to get the bow tuned properly, doubtful as he is knew and form is probably not that great, the process of Broadhead tuning is minimal if any at all.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk