Arrow weight and identical weights

PhillyB

WKR
Hey guys and gals, this is my first post.... So hello.

This year I decided to start doing my own arrows so I know they are done right. I have a few questions regarding the weight and getting each arrow exactly the same...

1) What is an acceptable difference in weight? 5 grains, 7 grains, etc...?

2) What are some methods to add a few grains to an arrow?

3) if you do add a few grains, where do you add it? At the point end or the nock end?

I did a dozen arrows last night and there is a 1.3 grain difference between my lightest and heaviest arrow.

Thanks

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Philly, first off welcome to RokSlide.

13 Grains is in my opinion unacceptable. I just did a dozen arrows this weekend. The all measured between 409.6 and 410.7, difference of 1.1 grains. I would make sure your components are weighted very close, meaning, nocks, inserts, vanes, wraps, points are good. Then the biggest variable is your arrow shaft. Cheaper arrows generally have bigger spread in weight than top quality arrows. If you can, weigh your raw shafts at the store before you buy them and get them close.

I would say 1% max for acceptable spread on a dozen, so a 400 grain arrow you could live with 4 grains, and again that would be max. I prefer about 1/2 % but I am anal that way. I don't change or manipulate any of the components, I weigh each of them to make sure they are weighted properly, then build them up.

Soutie

FNG
Welcome...I agree with RosinBag. I just bought a doz GT Kinetic XT's yesterday, added blazers and wraps...broadheads where SF phatheads and they were within a grain spread many were the same. There must be something wrong if you're getting 13 grain difference...

B

bearguide

you can get weight differences in the amount of glue used in fletching and putting in inserts. you may want to do it your self to get better consistancy. but it is not acceptable to have that much difference. welcome to rokslide

J-Daddy

WKR
1-2 grs I can live with...The numbers your getting are crazy. What brand arrows & components are you using?

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you got a little carried away with the glue on some of them. I try to keep them within 1-2 grains max. you'll get better with each batch you do.

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
Sorry guys, it should have read 1.3 grains. I forgot a decimal point.

Thats why I was curious how exact they need to be. But it sounds as if a 1.3 grain difference is acceptable

Ozz08

WKR
I shot carbon tech whitetails for my first year of archery. I bought 2 dozen of them at one time and a scale when I started doing my own arrows and I was shocked to find a 12 grain difference between the heaviest and lightest bare shaft and no 2 shafts weighed the same out of 24. I got some harvest time ht2 shafts last year and out of 3 dozen shafts all of them were within .9 grains.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
#1 spine
#2 straightness
#3 weight

I don't even check mine.....but then again I'm shooting Easton ACC Pro Hunters.