Arrow weight for elk

headed to Colorado this year with my brother were mostly Whitetail Hunters was wondering what grain Arrow y'all recommend shooting

sneaky

"DADDY"
You'll get recommendations all over the spectrum, but over 400gr and you'll be fine. I've killed critters with everything from 425gr to 720. No need to go super heavy. Around 450 is the sweet spot for a lot of guys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2blade

WKR
I've had clean pass throughs using 416 grs moving at 260fps up to 545grs moving at 180fps. Anywhere in between is fine, just use a sharp coc head with great arrow flight and they'll get the job done.

470 grain Easton axis with 16% foc and a standard slick trick moving 277 FPS went through both shoulders of my bull last year at 55 yards. He was dead in 75 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
My personal line in the sand is 500 grains. Less than that and my momentum slugs are less than .64, which is what I shoot for as far as elk. I prefer small diameter shafts, but any shaft that makes weight and flies good will work fine. I also do highly recommend a good cut on contact head like the Strickland Helix or Magnus Black hornets

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've tested a lot of different arrows and personally like 450 to 525 gains for elk. This is with my 70 lb bow and 30" draw. Heavier arrows get you more retained momentum (penetration), but there is a trade-off with trajectory. I think people are generally better off with heavier arrows while maintaining a speed and trajectory they are happy with. It is also very important that you are not underspined by adding weight up front to a weak arrow, as good arrow flight trumps mass. I'll be shooting 502 grains at 275 fps for elk this year.

nphunter

WKR
I agree with over 400gr as long as your shooting 27+ draw and 60lbs+. I would start adding a little weight and sharper heads if under those parameters.

It’s hard to argue the best penetration setup will be 500+ with a COC like the Iron Will head. How much is necessary is up to you really. I’ve killed elk with a shuttle T at 50 yards from a 60lb-27” draw prime with a 330gr CT Cheetha and got a pass through. The last elk I killed was with a 77lb bow and a 406gr arrow travelling 315fps with a Solid Legend. That setup IMO wasted energy burying into the dirt behind the elk.

This year I will be shooting a 490gr arrow at 285fps tipped with a Trypan for OR and a Iron Will S100 in ID. I feel like the heavier arrow combined with the large cut will transfer more of that energy into the animal vs a small COC. To me every set up had equaled dead elk, the blood trails have been questionable with smaller COC heads but they are very effective killers.

Arrow placement is key and if it is right most anything will work and if it’s not I don’t feel any arrow will bail you out. Finding and getting close enough to elk to actually release an arrow will be your biggest challenge. I would focus more on learning elk behavior and habitat than worrying about your arrow setup. If you shoot what you have well just go buy some Good Quality COC two blade heads with bleeders, shoot them enough to shoot them well and don’t worry.

Gumbo

WKR
Personally, I would worry more about how my arrows fly with broadheads than how much they weigh. My current arrows come in at 455 gr and have worked just fine on elk, even at long range with less-than-perfect placement.

That's a lot of weight going fast

70lb Carbon Spyder Long Draw 32”
31.5” Axis 260
50gr brass insert/16gr Footers
125gr Exodus Swept Blade

I’m sure they will dame well blow though just about anything. Hope to get an opportunity this fall with it.
They hit the target hard with an autible thud.

Zac

WKR
I'm pushing a 250 spine Day Six 610 grain arrow at 260 out of 83 pound Hoyt Pro Defiant.