Arrow Weight for long draw Arrows

I’ve seen various threads for normal arrow lengths and most companies have charts for up to 30” or 32”.

But what would most recommend for arrow weights for longer arrows?

I have 33” arrows, so even with a 100 grain head I’m still at 530 grain. I’m wondering if the head is maybe a bit light, but wondering what the experts think. I’ve got a 75# Atlas @ 33” draw.

Thanks in advance

Beendare

WKR
I don't know how much too long your arrows are......but

Rule of thumb....don't be underspined.

[30" DL here with a compound ....29" arrows that are plenty long]

OP
C
They’re 260 spline Easton 5mm, they were the only ones long enough for me. 33” seems barely enough to be honest when shooting broadheads haha, maybe I’m just a paranoid about slicing my hand.

Holocene

WKR
I'm also a long draw archer and have gone through this arrow weight pain (I like to shoot fast). Long story short, it's hard for long-draw archers to find stiff arrows that are 1) light 2) strong and 3) appropriately spined. The best arrows that meet all those requirements are probably target arrows, which tend to be fatter than modern compound archers want to shoot.

Some thoughts...

My specs for a comparison:
  • 31.5" draw with Mathews Halon X Comp
  • 29" arrow carbon to carbon Gold Tip Ultralight or Gold Tip FORCE FOC arrow with a Beiter hunter 12-2 nock (both tune fine)
  • QAD fallaway rest
  • 295 fps range
A few thoughts for your situation:
  • You don't need a 33" arrow. You should be able to get away with cutting your arrow just past the rest blade -- so end up with as short as 30.5" depending on whether you have a collar on or not.
  • Depending on your rest, you can cut the arrow even shorter by moving rest backward toward your face. Gillingham does this with a Hamskea overdraw. Marginally, this shortening reduces your arrrow weight by a few grains. But the biggest impact to running the shortest arrow you can is that you can shoot a weaker spined arrow, which will have a lower GPI and really shave some grains. I don't do this because it's fussy and I get creeped out with the broadhead gets BEHIND the riser. I don't care if it's over the shelf.
  • Sadly, there aren't a lot of arrows for long draw shooters that are low GPI and as strong as typical hunting arrows. The Axis is a very heavy shaft, so if you are seeking lower overall arrow weight look elsewhere.
  • The Black Eagle X-Impact might be the lightest 250 spine arrow around? Other than that, you've got the Gold Tip Force FOC 250 spine arrow at 9.8 GPI (what I shoot a little). You could also consider a target arrow like the Gold Tip Nine.3 series, which is 250 spine and 8.3 GPI. Some might say it's too brittle, but I'm thinking about trying that one out this off season.

OP
C
A containment rest like the QAD is your friend. You can cut your arrows much shorter

Oh ok, I currently have what appears to be an HDX quad. Which when I picked everything for my bow I knew 0 about anything but picked average to best options that was available.

Do you guys think trimming an inch and adding 50-100 grains would be good or leave it at 100 to increase speed?

Full disclosure I might actually be at 33.5” draw I can’t remember if the final adjustments went to 33.5”, I am an Ogre so who knows.

OP
C
My draw is just under 33" and I cut all my arrows to 30". I never even give that a second thought. But I also don't shoot with my fingers in the air. I intentionally shoot for right around 500gr arrows, and will adjust component weight to get there. I'm also looking for speeds between 280-295fps.

Good to know thanks. I will ask about arrow length when I’m at the shop next and ask about a chrono. I’ve seen someone setting one up as I was packing up but not sure if the shop has one. This year I’m only going to be going after deer with the bow so I’m sure it’s fine for now. I’m going with some iron will wide 100’s so I’m sure it’s got enough momentum to blow a pretty good hole through a deer for a quick dispatch

Holocene

WKR
One more arrow that I've always wanted to try is the Victory RIP TKO 250 spine. It's listed as 8.9 GPI, just 0.1 GPI heavier than the 300 spine arrow in that line which is 8.8. What a bargain! You get just 0.1 GPI heavier in shaft weight and bump up to the 250 spine stiffness. Typically, the weight penalty for 250 spine and stiffer is much more.

If you are married to your Axis for now, just trim them shorter (just past the fallaway, so it's safe of course), find a point weight that tunes well, and go hammer.

PS, I'm not sure what you have going on at the back end of your arrow, but using simple nocks (no bushings), no wraps, and a lighter 3 vane setup can keep weight down.