Arrow Weight Variability Questions

So my post season project is going to be to change up my arrow formula to something stiffer and heavier. I am testing a few different varieties now and bought an arrow scale to check final weights, etc.

One thing I have noticed is the variability of weight among the components and, in particular, the variability of the finished arrows. I have been shooting Carbon Express Maxima Reds with 100 grain tips. The finished arrow weights - cut the same and with the same components - run from 427 to 438 grains.

This makes me wonder - How much do the weights have to vary before it starts to impact point of impact enough to matter at a hunting distance, say 30-60 yards? 5 grains? 10 grains? More?

If you have 10 grains of variability between a group of arrows, all other things equal, what kind of a vertical spread are you going to see at 40 yards?

Zac

WKR
I've heard Snider say 6 grains showed no difference out of a shooting machine at 80 yards.

I wouldn’t fuss unless it’s over 15 grs. Shooting mixed groups with and without nocturnals out to 70, I wouldn’t have the skill to tell a difference. On a good day my groups are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you have 10 grains of variability between a group of arrows, all other things equal, what kind of a vertical spread are you going to see at 40 yards?

Not much. Try shooting your same arrows......some with 100's and some with 125's. There's a difference at 80 yards, but still not much.

But 11 grains difference within the same dozen arrows is a lot IMO. I've never seen anywhere near that much difference with identical components. 2-3gr tops has been my experience.

dkime

WKR
Not much. Try shooting your same arrows......some with 100's and some with 125's. There's a difference at 80 yards, but still not much.

But 11 grains difference within the same dozen arrows is a lot IMO. I've never seen anywhere near that much difference with identical components. 2-3gr tops has been my experience.

I want to echo this statement, I carry a mix of 125s and 100s in my quiver for treestand hunting. POI shift is negligible out to 40, after that it is still very little to worry about. I've done the same thing with 340s-300 spine shafts too while working on a tune. There are some decent free ballistic calculators online if you want to play with weights, or download OT2 if you're really curious.

Minor arrow weight variations don’t move point of impact anywhere near as much as configuration of the components. Outserts that hang 15 or more grains and extend all of that weight in front of the body exacerbates FOC of the arrow and can make a noticeable difference at distance. A different fletch or broadhead changes the aerodynamics of the arrow and often shift POI. Adding 5-10 grains to a nock - not so much. Also agree that changing from a 100-125gr point only begins significantly showing up at distance.

I know there are those who will jump in and say that all variation between BH and FP impact can be tuned away. In my decades of experience that’s sometimes true but not always the case; and the further the distance the less likely.

Last edited:

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Im not saying the the point of impact diffrence will be huge BUT why would you put up with arrows that are that far apart.

The lowest grade easton and I would assume the other big manufactures hunting arrows will only be +- 3 grains with no effort to correct it.

I would number my arrrows and actially shoot them myself to cull the outliers, When Im building arrows my goal is +- 1 grain.

Trial153

WKR
I can't see any meaning-full difference of 10ish grains at normal hunting distances < 60 yards. I bet if you kept shots under 40 you shot 100 and 125 grain heads of the same profile they would be within shooters MOST shooters margin of error.

Now all that said I try to keep everything as uniform as possible.

MattB

WKR
I'd worry more about the quality of the components in terms of spine or tolerances if the weight difference was that much.

I did randomly have a Carbon Tech shaft that was 8 gr. heavier than all the other once (they were usually +- 2 grs). You couldn't pick it out of a 70 yard group.

A light arrow has a finished GPP of 5 to 6.5 grains for each pound of draw weight. A midweight arrow weighs between 6.5 and 8 grains. Heavy arrows weigh over 8 grains. This information can be important when shooting a recurve, barebow or compound. Once I bought some arrows and wanted to ensure they were the right weight. I used the bathroom scale to weigh the arrows, and I found that they were too light. It was a big problem because I always shoot on a polygon, and the wind can change the direction of light arrows very easy.

Last edited: