Arrow weight vs speed

Hey guys and gals, I decided to go way up in weight this year to try out a different arrow set up. Normally I am shooting a 415 grain arrow or so so I can keep speed up. I am currently shooting a Reign 6 at 26.5” and 70 lbs. The arrow I set up weighs about 480 grains and is pretty heavy up front, maybe 220 upfront. Based on some random archery calculators online my arrow speed is predicted to be around 270 FPS; however, possibly due to aftermarket strings and the extreme low end of the cam module, I am shooting I believe 250 on the nose. My pin gaps are teally not that bad I think because of the high FOC but i am wondering what could possibly be the issue for why it is shooting slow but on top of that is should I go down in the weight? For the foreseeable future my elk hunts will be limited due to life but I do have a late season archery hunt this fall. I was thinking 450 grains? But I don’t know if that would bring my speed up enough to even be worth the loss of weight. I also am shooting a highly helical 4 fletch of AAE Max Stealths so I am wondering if the drag is making a difference. Thanks for any feedback

Beendare

WKR
How does it tune?
Do your BH's and FP's group together at 50 yds?

You could have a bunch of different things going on but not enough info supplied to tell.

As a general rule; In playing with different arrow weight combos in my 70# compound; bumping up my arrow weight from 430gr to 500gr I didn't lose much trajectory on bowhunting distance type shots....about 1".

Now if you are competing in 3D- Yeah, you want speed, speed speed.

Hunting; I will take the improved arrow performance AND my bow is whisper quiet over a little flatter trajectory any day for a hunting bow setup.

OP
E
Yeah it is tuned to bullet holes and the BHs fly perfect. I just was thinking about it.

Beendare

WKR
Ok well there is a very good test for this; Shoot the heavier arrow at 40yds.....then use the same setup and 40 yd pin to shoot your lighter arrows and see how much higher the light arrow strikes.

I think you will be surprised.....let us know.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I cut the arrow back to the front of the riser and gave each limb a half a turn. Bow is at 67lbs now. Was at 65ish.

282fps from a 520gr arrow. Not too shabby!?