Arrowhead outfitters AK caribou ?

I am just wondering if anybody has used Arrowhead outfitters for a drop camp caribou hunt ?

My dad and I are going next year. Hunt is already booked. We were a little late booking so we didn’t get “prime time” dates but will be going early august.

We will be hunting north of the Brooks range. My dad is 73 and said we needed to do one last “epic trip” before he is unable to. He has not traveled much at all so I said we are going to Alaska !

A buddy and I will be there August 8-18. Our first time so I don’t have any info for you. You’re going in 2022?

Southeast

FNG
I used them for a flight back to civilization at the end of a float trip last year. They were very good with communication prior to and during our trip. They were a little swamped on pick-up day (mid-sept) but got us out at the last minute with no issues. The pilot told us they had 100% success on their caribou hunt earlier that year, but I can’t confirm that.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
I used them for a flight back to civilization at the end of a float trip last year. They were very good with communication prior to and during our trip. They were a little swamped on pick-up day (mid-sept) but got us out at the last minute with no issues. The pilot told us they had 100% success on their caribou hunt earlier that year, but I can’t confirm that.
That’s good to hear. That’s what they told me too. 100% and they average in the high 90s.

If you search this forum you will find some very negative things about them from back in 2015. But they have a lot of great reviews online and we have not had any problems yet. Maybe they have got it together over the last 6 years. I always see the good in people and doing so seem to bring the good out in them.

Southeast

FNG
If you search this forum you will find some very negative things about them from back in 2015. But they have a lot of great reviews online and we have not had any problems yet. Maybe they have got it together over the last 6 years. I always see the good in people and doing so seem to bring the good out in them.

New owners took over in 2020. I’m kind of surprised they did not change the business name, given those past reviews. Why start with that kind of strike against you?

Maybe they’ll make everyone forget those issues, maybe they’ll create their own problems. All I know is that they saved our 2020 moose trip after Brooks Range Aviation suddenly shut down due to covid last June.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
New owners took over in 2020. I’m kind of surprised they did not change the business name, given those past reviews. Why start with that kind of strike against you?

Maybe they’ll make everyone forget those issues, maybe they’ll create their own problems. All I know is that they saved our 2020 moose trip after Brooks Range Aviation suddenly shut down due to covid last June.
Yeah that’s strange. I have been dealing with Misty there and she is a lot to handle but very nice and a wealth of information.

I flew with them last year. Thought they did a great job. Flew us in a day early and promptly got us out after tagging out. Killed two good bulls and saw thousands of caribou. Wouldn’t hesitate to go with them again.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
I flew with them last year. Thought they did a great job. Flew us in a day early and promptly got us out after tagging out. Killed two good bulls and saw thousands of caribou. Wouldn’t hesitate to go with them again.
Awesome. That’s good to hear. I’m guessing there are cheaper ways to do this hunt but I figured this was a good way to get our feet wet. I hunted black bear in SE Alaska but that didn’t have a lot of logistics.

I thought the whole trip was fairly reasonable. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask

jdking25

FNG
When are you going in? A couple of buddies and myself are booked for Aug 2022 with Arrowhead.

mproberts

WKR
My group hunted with them in 2018.. our experience and review is contained in this thread.

For what it's worth I would never hunt with Howard again. I've hunted a lot of places and with a lot of different outfits and Howard was one of the worst characters I have ever dealt with. The review I posted was extremely fair and accurate, but he called me after reading it to personally attack and threatening me. I offered numerous times to post any corrections he thought were warranted or literally just copy and paste anything he wanted me to post for him. All he really wanted to do was to bully me around.

I do know he was trying to sell the business after the 2018 season. Hopefully the new owners (if that's the case) are running a better operation. I can say that Misty was part of their operation when we went and we had a good experience dealing with her... maybe that is an indication of the direction things were moving in.

Good luck with the trip and if you need any advice or help feel free to pm.

Tod osier

WKR
My group hunted with them in 2018.. our experience and review is contained in this thread.

For what it's worth I would never hunt with Howard again. I've hunted a lot of places and with a lot of different outfits and Howard was one of the worst characters I have ever dealt with. The review I posted was extremely fair and accurate, but he called me after reading it to personally attack and threatening me. I offered numerous times to post any corrections he thought were warranted or literally just copy and paste anything he wanted me to post for him. All he really wanted to do was to bully me around.

I do know he was trying to sell the business after the 2018 season. Hopefully the new owners (if that's the case) are running a better operation. I can say that Misty was part of their operation when we went and we had a good experience dealing with her... maybe that is an indication of the direction things were moving in.

Good luck with the trip and if you need any advice or help feel free to pm.

It is under new ownership (see above).

gearguywb

WKR
Very interested in seeing how this turns out. Would love to do something like this in '23

Jmartin

FNG
I booked for 2023 with them after talking to a lot of outfitters. Misty kept going above and beyond when answering my questions and even told me they would give advice if we booked with someone else. They did sell to new owners since those poor reviews and from conversations with Misty the new owners are hunters which means something to me. Since the company sold I have not found a poor review. They have a Facebook page which you can access by talking to Misty which shows some pretty successful hunters from this year. I will post up after the hunt to let you all know how it went but I do feel good so far based on how well they communicate so far.

Southeast

FNG
Good point about communication through Misty. You don't find that level of responsiveness with many pilots/oufitters. I can attest that she also quickly answered InReach texts from the field on our 2020 hunt.

Bluman001

FNG
I booked a trip back in October for my daughter and I. We are booked for 8-4 thru 8-14-22 for a NBR caribou hunt. I know the dates are not ideal from the research Ive done but my daughter is graduating college in May and asked me for this trip for graduation so I wanted to make it happen in 2022 if at all possible. Misty seems great so far in our dealings and she has been very responsive and patient with questions. I've read the reviews and I sure hope that the new owners are running things differently than Howard did. I'm gambling on it!!! As previously mentioned, the new owner's are previous clients I think so maybe they saw areas to improve. I was hoping the OP would update this thread on the results from his hunt in August of 2021. I'm also curious as to other folks' experience hunting in the first couple weeks of Aug. We are not looking for a trophy but I would like to think that she will get an opportunity on a bull of any size.

I have a group of 4 that will be flying out with them this august as well for 11 days in the NBR. Sounds like after this year there will be some more people that will be able to give some good reviews. Misty has been awesome for us and communication has been super simple and her knowledgeable is super helpful for a group of guys that have never done this before. Already looking forward to it, good luck to everyone else!