Arrowhead Rifles muzzleloader review thread

ENCORE

WKR
I will say that knowing the velocity sure saves a ton of money by plugging the information into a good ballistics program and then its only fine adjustments for a range card.
When shooting long range, one must not forget to figure in spin drift too.

This is my range card, which surprisingly is almost dead nuts to 600yds. When the information was plugged into JBM, ZERO wind was figured in, but spin drift was. What appears as wind on the chart is ONLY spin drift.

8208XBR 88.25grs 2827fps with spin drift.JPG

I will say that knowing the velocity sure saves a ton of money by plugging the information into a good ballistics program and then its only fine adjustments for a range card.

This is my range card, which surprisingly is almost dead nuts to 600yds. When the information was plugged into JBM, ZERO wind was figured in, but spin drift was. What appears as wind on the chart is ONLY spin drift.

View attachment 224065

Thanks for sharing your range card. It should help me guess closer when I start. I figure Im around 2800 fps so your will probably drop a little less than mine.

View attachment 224065

I have 1.2 mil drop at 300 yds, and 1.6 mil drop at 350 from a 150 yd zero so our drops are lining up pretty close

I dont have any paper target pics, but i did have 3 good hunts so far this year. Nevada buck, 205yds, with Lukes encore setup. Utah buck, 355yds, with Lukes 45 cal. , And new mexico elk, not big but my 1st elk. 255yds with the same 45cal. 3 shots 3 quick kills. All blackhorn powder , 275gr. bullets. Thanks for some amazing rifles Luke!

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
So..

I was contemplating a LR MZ.

Is the Arrowhead worth the $4K?

Looks pretty impressive....would be nice if they added a Proof Carbon barrel to cut the weight.

So..

Looks pretty impressive....would be nice if they added a Proof Carbon barrel to cut the weight.

He might if you ask. I'm sure it wouldn't be free, but its worth asking.

I do not have the new version. Before I messed with mine, I would have said no way. After shooting mine quite a bit and having more knowledge on the subject I would be pay 4k.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
He might if you ask. I'm sure it wouldn't be free, but its worth asking.

I do not have the new version. Before I messed with mine, I would have said no way. After shooting mine quite a bit and having more knowledge on the subject I would be pay 4k.
I see they have option for carbon wrapped barrel.

+$500.

My 45cal is carbon wrapped, you may be able to see it in the pics above. Its a very light muzzleloader, i put alot of miles on it this year, with probably 50 rounds through it, i couldn't be happier. I have a 40cal from Luke also. He makes a very nice rifle.

WKR
So..

I had Arrowhead rebarrel and upgrade the ignition system on my remington 700 uml. A cheaper option then going for a full custom build. If you want an accurate muzzleloader that will go the distance, I recommend it.

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
Luke built my muzzleloader a a couple years ago, between me, clients and friends it has killed 17 big game animals, including Coues, mule deer, coues deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep. From 60 to 680 yards (on a coues deer) and over 500 on an elk and a mule deer.

it’s by far and away my favorite gun I’ve owned, I have owned Gunwerks and other custom rifles and I kid you not the muzzleloader has shot as well as any of them, I’m talking under .5 MOA with BH209 and even better with smokeless.

lukes bullets are equally as impressive, every animal that’s been shot by it has died, and had excellent performance out of all of them.

I was so impressed that Luke actually just finished up a custom bolt action rifle in 6.5SS for me, and I’m ecstatic to get to shoot it. His work is phenomenal and the work he’s done on client as well as other guides I know guns ha been equally as impressive

here is an elk I killed with it last year on a late tag at 480 yards with BH209

Attachments

• 771B0210-4D07-40E7-8D60-EEF03FC63DD8.jpeg
    771B0210-4D07-40E7-8D60-EEF03FC63DD8.jpeg
    657.4 KB · Views: 49

CM

WKR
Travis, great review! I had a smokeless muzzleloader built last year, using components from Luke. They are impressive. Can you talk a little more about the open sight system?

Here's a few specific questions I was curious about:
How is the front site attached?
Which height on the front site did you end up using?
Were you able to remove the front site fairly easily when switching to the scope?
The link to the pic rail rear sight had a few options, which one of those did you end up using?
Did you have plenty of adjustment to get everything dialed in?

WKR
Luke had some pretty sweet deals on barreled action muzzle loaders for black friday. I was trying to convince myself I needed two.

LWH723

FNG
Travis, great review! I had a smokeless muzzleloader built last year, using components from Luke. They are impressive. Can you talk a little more about the open sight system?

Here's a few specific questions I was curious about:
Were you able to remove the front site fairly easily when switching to the scope?
The link to the pic rail rear sight had a few options, which one of those did you end up using?
DOVETAIL

As you probably know, it's critical to calculate rear height to get front height right right. Travis' was about 1.5", but would have to check my notes to be sure. Barrel diameter also factors.

Just pop it out of the dovetail.

There's a lot of adjustment in them, but if you don't get front at same height or just slightly below your rear, you can run into problems.