Arrowhead Rifles muzzleloader review thread

A few pics of the rifle.
View attachment 208961View attachment 208962View attachment 208963
Here’s a pic of the bolt face. And it shows the difference of having the custom bolt stop with this pic and the next pic.
View attachment 208964View attachment 208965

Pretty happy with this rifle. It definitely will shoot better than I can.

Regards, Branden
That’s a great looking set up. What kind of rings are those on your scope? Did you opt for the 3 pc ramrod as opposed to the attached?

That’s a great looking set up. What kind of rings are those on your scope? Did you opt for the 3 pc ramrod as opposed to the attached?
Those are just some weavers I believe. I usually use Hawkins but I had these ones. I opted for the 3 piece ramrod since I installed a Spartan Precision adapter in the stock.

Regards, Branden

Jerkee

FNG
Luke built my muzzleloader a a couple years ago, between me, clients and friends it has killed 17 big game animals, including Coues, mule deer, coues deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep. From 60 to 680 yards (on a coues deer) and over 500 on an elk and a mule deer.

it’s by far and away my favorite gun I’ve owned, I have owned Gunwerks and other custom rifles and I kid you not the muzzleloader has shot as well as any of them, I’m talking under .5 MOA with BH209 and even better with smokeless.

lukes bullets are equally as impressive, every animal that’s been shot by it has died, and had excellent performance out of all of them.

I was so impressed that Luke actually just finished up a custom bolt action rifle in 6.5SS for me, and I’m ecstatic to get to shoot it. His work is phenomenal and the work he’s done on client as well as other guides I know guns ha been equally as impressive

here is an elk I killed with it last year on a late tag at 480 yards w

I got my muzzy from Luke early July.

I got the scope mounted and the Spartan adapter installed in the stock. About that time I realized there wasn’t a dovetail cut in the barrel for a front sight.

I was going to send it back to Luke. But I figured I could drop it at a local smith on my way out of town on vacation. There was a delay in getting it cut but I was finally able to pick it up early August.

I read the directions, loaded it up with smokeless and sent a few shots down range. Worked up to the max and shot a 3 shot group @2798 FPS.

View attachment 208944

After that I loaded up some BH209 to test. 3 shot group @2550 FPS.

View attachment 208945

Both groups were shot with the 300 grain NSR bullet from Arrowhead @100 yards.

With both loads the primer modules are coming out clean. There is zero blow by. The bullets load easy like a power belt.

I shot it @415 yards, 515 yards, and 617 yards. First 3 shots beyond 100 yards.

After that I loaded it up with BH209 and zeroed the scope @200 yards. Then I shot @250 and 300 yards with my 200 yard zero. @250 yards the bullet dropped a little less than 3” and @300 yards it dropped 8.5”. After getting that data I called it quits since sweat was running into my eyes.

Depending on how well I can see with the peep once I get it installed, I should be able to hold dead on out to 250 yards.

Rifle details:

45 cal.

Kelbly custom action nitrided with a custom bolt face to hold the primer securely. It also has a custom bolt stop.

26” Brux barrel. Nitrided.

AG composites stock.

Triggertech trigger.

Arrowhead 3 port brake.

I opted to use the 3 piece ramrod so I could add the Spartan adapter.

I’m going to use a Lee Shaver front sight and an NECG rear peep where open sights are required. For states that allow scopes, and load development I’ve got an NXS 2.5-10x42 for it. (Load development was so easy I don’t think I can actually call it that)

Hey, what is your BH209 load for that 45 cal? That's some good shooting.

ENCORE

WKR
Does Arrowhead make the breech plug modules? If they stopped making them, are there any other options or would the muzzleloader be unshootable?
You won't have to worry about modules for a long time. I've been shooting the same 41 modules for over 4yrs now and have never cleaned them. However, I do clean the primer pockets. I've probably shot 50#'s or more of BH209 with HEAVY charges through them and they function perfectly.
Someone, I guarantee, would pick up the building of modules if Arrowhead folded.

Raider07

FNG
I am thinking about getting one of Luke’s Encore barrels to get into Muzzle Loading. I live in TX where we don’t shoot much muzzleloaders but am hunting more in OK as well as trying to drawl more in WY, AZ , and NM. Has anyone tried one of the encore replacement 45 cal barrels from Arrowhead? Thanks

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking about getting one of Luke’s Encore barrels to get into Muzzle Loading. I live in TX where we don’t shoot much muzzleloaders but am hunting more in OK as well as trying to drawl more in WY, AZ , and NM. Has anyone tried one of the encore replacement 45 cal barrels from Arrowhead? Thanks
The encore barrel is the easy button. My range on my farm goes to 400 yards. My sight in this season consisted of putting the barrel on the frame (I have another encore rifle barrel I leave on the frame when not muzzleloader season), load rifle, dial scope to 400, ring steel on first shot. The thing is as accurate as my Beanland rifles

Raider07

FNG
The encore barrel is the easy button. My range on my farm goes to 400 yards. My sight in this season consisted of putting the barrel on the frame (I have another encore rifle barrel I leave on the frame when not muzzleloader season), load rifle, dial scope to 400, ring steel on first shot. The thing is as accurate as my Beanland rifles
Wow that’s exciting. Which optic are you running on it? I’m very green when it comes to muzzys. Do you use Lukes ammo and his recommended powder amount? Thanks for the feedback.

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. I follow Luke’s load data and use his bullets.

my rifle has a Zeiss victory Diavari that I sent back to Zeiss for their ASV+ turret. Works great

Raider07

FNG
Yes. I follow Luke’s load data and use his bullets.

my rifle has a Zeiss victory Diavari that I sent back to Zeiss for their ASV+ turret. Works great
Which primer do you use? I have 209 at home for reloading shotgun shells. Do I use that or another? Thanks