Arrows kicking to the left after 20 yards

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
Have you tried turning your nock for different spine alignment? If you are super close that could be the last thing to fine tune each arrow when shooting broadheads. If you are always shooting the same arrow with the broadhead on it you should try turning the nock before you go messing with the rest.
Thanks. I'd forgotten about that. I'll give that a run.

I’d start with a walk back and rule out the rest being centered, torquing the bow on the shot, and vane contact.
Next I’d shoot some bare shafts and see how they fly, rule out spine issues. If that’s good, shoot some broad heads.
I used to drive myself crazy trying to paper tune, then I realized it’s really not necessary at all.
1-walk back tune
2-bare shaft tube
3-broadhead tune
In my opinion , that’s all you need. Works great!

Wrench

WKR
When fields and broadheads don't hit the same spot, and they all spin true, weigh the same....etc, you need to think physics.

Is my broadhead placing it's load farther away from the center of gravity on my arrow? Balance a field and bh and see. Why does it matter?.....dynamic spine. The shaft is affected by the load it pushes AND where the load is on the shaft.

Planing. Planing can be an issue....but walkback tuning will answer this. Does the group open up, or does it drift one direction? Planing or steerage would be a larger group (assuming windless conditions) drifting to one side would indicate tuning / spine issues.

Here's how I'd attack it;

Paper it at 5feet to 50 feet. If I'm tearing bullets or slight nock high, put that away. Then, fire a bh, bare and fp at 20, 30, 40...etc and see how I'm holding up. If it's close, I've proven with paper that it's not a spine issue, so work it out and rock on.

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
Ok. Here’s where I’m at, and I think I’m happy enough. Thanks for all your advice.

I gave up some paper tune to get my BH hitting with my FP out to 40 yards (pretty close at 50yards). BH are still higher at greater than 50 yards. I now have a slightly high and a little bit right paper tear at 5 yards and my bareshafts are hitting left at greater than 20 yards. Why is this?

I’m certainly confident enough to hunt with this set up now (lucky, I’m hunting goats tomorrow. I’ll let you know how I go). I won’t take a shot greater than about 30 yards while hunting.

I’ve shot heaps today with BH and FP and there is no discernible difference to 40 yards. Arrow flight is also still good.

I think it’s pretty good and I’ve certainly learnt a lot.

Zac

WKR
Ok. Here’s where I’m at, and I think I’m happy enough. Thanks for all your advice.

I gave up some paper tune to get my BH hitting with my FP out to 40 yards (pretty close at 50yards). BH are still higher at greater than 50 yards. I now have a slightly high and a little bit right paper tear at 5 yards and my bareshafts are hitting left at greater than 20 yards. Why is this?

I’m certainly confident enough to hunt with this set up now (lucky, I’m hunting goats tomorrow. I’ll let you know how I go). I won’t take a shot greater than about 30 yards while hunting.

I’ve shot heaps today with BH and FP and there is no discernible difference to 40 yards. Arrow flight is also still good.

I think it’s pretty good and I’ve certainly learnt a lot.
Your right high tear through paper is the same thing you are seeing with your broadheads. They are planing high and to the left. You could slightly lower the rest, and move it a tick to the left and probably bring them together out to 50 and further.

wayoh22

WKR
Best of luck on your goat hunt. Wish you nothing but success.

Also would like to give it up to everybody on this thread for helping out. I think it's great how like-minded people can come together to help a sole individual without expecting something in return.

AkRyan

WKR
Thanks so much everyone. Looks like I’ve got some work ahead of me.
Im identifying the nock left using slo-mo video and target impact angle.
I suspected spine issue. Perhaps that’s the easiest to tweak by just adding a little weight up front.
when I'm broadhead tuning do I just do that the same as normal paper tuning? Won’t the broadhead tear the paper and make it hard to see what the tear looks like? Maybe I’ll just give it a go.
I’ll start with some paper tuning at different distances. How can I determine vane contact? I’ve heard lipstick on the vanes?
What kind of target are you using? If it isn't a "foam" style target then you can't use it to read nock lean. I would go out and shoot it at distance to see if it hits where your aiming first and then worry about the rest.

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
So turns out the worst thing has happened.

I spent heaps of time tuning, bareshaft and broadheads. I got the boardheads flying pretty well, I thought.

Yesterday I put a shot on a deer. 30 yards, shot broke perfect and the impact site seemed to be perfect, right behind the front leg of the quartering away deer. When the arrow hit the deer though the nock seemed to vibrate up and down and seemed to zap all the energy out of the arrow and I got pretty poor penetration. I then walked over 12km and spent the next five hours looking for the deer but couldn't find it. I'm pretty heart broken to be honest and lost all confidence in my set up.

Probably won't hunt now till I get this sorted. I'm just going to start from the very beginning, where ever that is. I'm in Aus and we're in a pretty hard lockdown so I can't get to a shop or anything.

Prior to shooting my new PSE I was shooting a cheap bear and I had such an affinity with that bow. I was so confident in that setup. I'm half tempted to go back to it.

So back to the drawing board. I'll no doubt be back on here with some more stupid questions.

Last edited:
Bow hunting is mostly confidence…
No, two blade, double bevel fixed head. I was actually thinking of going to mechanicals?
well if you are worried about penetration don’t do that. A mechanical takes 5-10x the energy to penetrate then a sharp fixed. I wouldn’t read too much into 1 shot. When deer or animals move they can really eat up penetration. Keep working on the bow and build your confidence, get as many kills under your belt as you can, does or small game whatever

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
Bow hunting is mostly confidence…

well if you are worried about penetration don’t do that. A mechanical takes 5-10x the energy to penetrate then a sharp fixed. I wouldn’t read too much into 1 shot. When deer or animals move they can really eat up penetration. Keep working on the bow and build your confidence, get as many kills under your belt as you can, does or small game whatever
I suppose I was just a little shocked. Being pretty new to bowhunting I've only shot a few goats and every goat I've shot the arrow passed through like the animal wasn't even there. I'm shooting 70 pounds at 29.5 inches and shooting about a 500gn arrow. At 30 yards I just expected a complete pass though. I just hope the deer didn't suffer too much.

Anyway, I suppose that's part of bow hunting hey?

Yup, pretty much. I have shot deer at 60 yards and got complete pass through and some at 30 and arrow broke in scapula and never found them. You just have to everything you can do to make a quick clean kill, once the arrow leaves the string you have no control.

Zac

WKR
So turns out the worst thing has happened.

I spent heaps of time tuning, bareshaft and broadheads. I got the boardheads flying pretty well, I thought.

Yesterday I put a shot on a deer. 30 yards, shot broke perfect and the impact site seemed to be perfect, right behind the front leg of the quartering away deer. When the arrow hit the deer though the nock seemed to vibrate up and down and seemed to zap all the energy out of the arrow and I got pretty poor penetration. I then walked over 12km and spent the next five hours looking for the deer but couldn't find it. I'm pretty heart broken to be honest and lost all confidence in my set up.

Probably won't hunt now till I get this sorted. I'm just going to start from the very beginning, where ever that is. I'm in Aus and we're in a pretty hard lockdown so I can't get to a shop or anything.

Prior to shooting my new PSE I was shooting a cheap bear and I had such an affinity with that bow. I was so confident in that setup. I'm half tempted to go back to it.

So back to the drawing board. I'll no doubt be back on here with some more stupid questions.
I'm sorry man. Similar thing happened to me last year. Almost gave up hunting over it. I really questioned my setup as well. I'll never shoot a mech head again. Sounds like your already on the right track with components, and arrow setup. Once you get the tuning down you'll do great.

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
I'm sorry man. Similar thing happened to me last year. Almost gave up hunting over it. I really questioned my setup as well. I'll never shoot a mech head again. Sounds like your already on the right track with components, and arrow setup. Once you get the tuning down you'll do great.
Thanks. Its kind of comforting to know it happens to other hunters.

Lockdown is probably a good time for me to fully refine my tuning and set up and rebuild some of my confidence.

Reactions: Zac

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
The arrow isn’t straight than at distance suddenly doing anything different. You’re getting a read at one spot