Arrows with brass insert or not?

ajonke

FNG
Hey all I was wondering what everyone’s take was on brass inserts? I bought a new bow and arrows to go along with it last year. I bought Black Eagle arrows and they recommended that I add brass inserts.

I have a 33” draw length and obviously longer heavier arrows. I noticed that with the inserts they fly a lot slower.

I would love your thoughts on whether the extra punch from the inserts is worth the slower speed?

Agree with fatlander. Without knowing the specifics of your setup, what I would say is that it comes down to what flies best out of your bow. Brass/standard, three v four fletch, lighted nock v standard etc. The more you can test and see what groups best downrange is what you should go with. At your draw length, you should be getting great speeds regardless of what you shoot. I have a 29" draw, shoot a fuzz over 70lbs and use a 50gr brass insert because there was a noticeable difference (especially beyond 50 yards) in group size. The brass just shot better. It was worth the loss in speed (again for me) because I had an arrow that was tuned to my setup. The only time I changed my arrow setup to get more speed was hunting Axis deer in Hawaii. Those deer are on a completely different level. However, for my "western hunt" setup I am still shooting at 280fps and have an arrow that shoots well with really any broadhead screwed on.

Use reliable resources and find a setup that works best for you. The more you can test at this time of year, the more confident you will feel when September rolls around. Its a great time of year for you to be doing this. A lot of people wait until mid-august to start doing these arrow tests on their setups and are a mess when they hit the field in September.

MattB

WKR
Op, post you bow specs and someone will be able to help you.

A true 33" DL is rare...you must be 6'6" plus.....

Generically, a 33" DL translates to 6' 10.5" tall.

If these are brass HIT's the weight differential between them and the standard aluminum hits can be as little as 34 grains (~11 fps).

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm a 32 1/2" draw at 75lbs, and I only have one set of arrows with brass HIT's........and I never use them......just no need from my experience. All I use is the regular 16gr HIT's and most all my arrows are over 500gr with 125gr and 150gr heads. That extra 59gr with the brass HIT's just adds to the trajectory. I like to shoot a lot of long range stuff in the off-season, and it's hard to get all 7 pins set with that extra weight.

Marble

WKR
I'm a 32 1/2" draw at 75lbs, and I only have one set of arrows with brass HIT's........and I never use them......just no need from my experience. All I use is the regular 16gr HIT's and most all my arrows are over 500gr with 125gr and 150gr heads. That extra 59gr with the brass HIT's just adds to the trajectory. I like to shoot a lot of long range stuff in the off-season, and it's hard to get all 7 pins set with that extra weight.
good God!! I almost dropped my phone. I'm not tiny guy but anyone with a DL that length is a monster.

OP
A

ajonke

FNG
Thanks for all the insight guys!

And yes I am a big guy. I am 6-6 and weigh 250...that really is my draw length!

I do miss the speed of my arrows without the brass. I may buy more arrows and see how it goes. I guess I never had a problem with grouping before but can understand how that would be improved with brass.

I also like the ability to shoot long shots. Not necessarily at animals but targets. That being said some antelope shots get a little lengthy.